External Generator vs Onan

Started by Clyde9, November 09, 2008, 10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 4/2/2006 7:30 PM

I am at my wits end trying to figure out the issue with our Onan generator. I think I have pinned it to the points continually burning our for some reason. When we file the points it seems to run pretty well for a while but after a while, it starts to sputter.

My question is if we should consider an external generator. A quick look on Ebay shows some pretty small and quiet  generators for $500-$1000. Is there a disadvantage to getting one of these compared to the onboard Onan that is giving me fits?

Sent: 4/2/2006 9:05 PM

Just for grins, did you change the condensor? My gen wouldn't run right and I put in a new set of points and condensor, with a new plug. After a little tweaking on the carb, it runs great now.

Sent: 4/2/2006 10:45 PM

Well, I would first check that you are getting the correct voltage to the points. It should be around 9 volts, not 12 , A resistor cuts the voltage to prevent the points from frying. If bad, it can be replaced easily with a Chrysler type Ballast Resistor.
Advantage of a newer Genset:
Newer model, parts easier to locate, fuel use likely less, less weight, smaller size
Disadvantages:
Noisier, Less grunt to start heavy loads, built a lot cheaper, won't last near as long (in years)
Advantages of an older Onan:
Quieter, especially if you have the early 1800rpm model, nearly wear-proof, built much tougher, simple, easy to repair, has much higher start load capacity due to engine strength, life span measured in decades, not years, most important- already paid for
Disadvantages:
Parts can be difficult to locate, inefficient on fuel, extremely heavy, large size makes maintenence harder, old seals may leak, or parts may need repair

On mine,(a 5KW-CCK 1,800rpm Onan) the original electronic engine control panal had fried, (The push a button to start thingy) A replacement was still available new from Onan, but was over $200.
I decided to gut the entire thing, and re-wired the entire engine just like a very basic old Ford. I fashioned a plywood panel in place of the original on top of the engine, mounted a Ford dash-style key switch, and wired it to a Ford solinoid, from there, it fed power to a 12v. fuel pump (through an oil pressure sender), and a Chrysler Ballast resistor, the power left the resistor and went to the coil and points.. Key-on = 12v. to the fuel pump, 9v. to the coil & points, Key Start= fuel pump, coil, points, and start side of solinoid, Key Off= all power off
The re-wiring can be easily done, and the parts are cheap & readily available. I think it cost me about $20 for the materials, and took about 2hrs. to complete. The only disadvantage to this type of conversion is that , you no longer have the protection of automatic shut-off in the event of the genset engine quitting. (such as if it stalls while traveling) which would cause the points to fry if you didn't physically turn the ignition key to off. The original electronic engine control automatically killed the power to the ignition if the engine ever quit. Although for fire protection, I did wire the fuel pump to only run if there was oil pressure. That way, if the engine died, the fuel pump wouldn't continue to run.
To use, you just open the door, turn the key to start, and let off when it cranks. To shut off, just turn the key to off. I kept my key in the switch all the time, but you could remove it if worried about tampering. (my genset door locked with a key)
I could draw up a detailed set of wiring instructions if this might be something you end up wanting to do.
Mine ended up being 100% reliable, easy to start, and I never had a problem with stalling, but my genset did only have about 130hrs on it, so really it was only just breaking in. Average life-span is 1,000hrs. plus before major overhaul)

Lefty

Sent: 4/3/2006 12:47 AM

When I got my '73 Brave the old Onan ran well, but was leaking and burning oil. Still I enjoyed its push button starting. Then last year it started to give me problems, and after doing everything that everybody said to do on this site I decided to pull it out and put in a Generac generator. It is reasonably quiet, much lighter, can still run off the main tank (with an electric fuel pump), and does all I need it to, since in Alaska I don't need an airconditioner very often. The only thing I miss is the push button start, but hey, can't have everything!