need help just broke my sky light with my big foot

Started by bobcat, February 21, 2015, 08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobcat

we here in upstate n.y have had lots of snow, so today I got on the 1987 chieftain roof to shovel off the snow. I stepped on the shower sky light and you guessed it snap crackle pop. any suggestions as to what to do now? to cold  to tape  plastic on . the next time sun comes out water could start coming in. does any one know where I can get the  factory replacement or the part number for the skylight?

HandyDan

We are going to need more information that that.  Is this a standard 14" X 14" vent cover or a larger skylight.  Is this a true skylight that is above the shower and does not open?  Is it rectangular or triangular?  The Winnebago catalog lists several different ones each fitting those categories.  Google "Winnebago Parts Catalog" and download it.  Skylights are listed under Hardware.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

TerryH

Temporary fix suggestion-
If it opens, open and cover completely with a plastic garbage bag, then close tightly.
If it doesn't open, cover completely, cut away the excess plastic and  bungee cord as low as possible. If the cracks are close to roof line stick a wedge in for drainage if you think it's needed.
Consider condensation between the acrylic and plastic.
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

gpw9552

If you are talking about the skylight over the shower there is both a inner and outer panel.  On the 1987 WCN33RU it is

Outer 080508-01-000
Inner 080507-01-000
Outer Trim Ring 080258-01-000

These are Model specific so have your model and serial number ready when you call.

Lonnie Fox at Lichtsinn Motors 1-800-343-6255.

cosmic

I think you will be able to find that vent at any rv shop (cheep). but as for now,its way to cold to try and seal or caulk that new vent in place.
Don't feel bad. I did the same thing a few years back when I was shoveling off the snow, and my shovel did exactly what your foot did. $@!#@!
I used a plastic Tupperware container with a brick on top and had no leaks at all. then again even if it did leak it was into my shower toilet combo so I knew it wouldn't hurt anything. How ever the caulking around the base of the vent is what keeps any real water from leaking into the ceiling or any real bad spots. The plastic dome doesn't really stop anything but the new stuff falling down..
I would just cover it. don't sweat it and you now have a small project for the spring.
Cheers.

bobcat

not sure of the size, it is a rectangle outer skylight that is flush with the roof. the problem with water getting in is that it wont just go in shower it will get between the inner and outer skylights and soak into the insulation in the ceiling . the camper is stored about 10 miles away. I will go back today and measure the size. I like the idea of a plastic dish with a brick, but still worried about water seeping in as soon as the temp goes above 32. 

bobcat

just went out and measured it  is aprox.  22x16

Oz

Does it have a red lever inside?  Some models (like the d24 Indian) had a dual purpose:  vent and escape hatch.

The originals get very brittle with age.  Mine cracked during winter.  I found the OEM replacement - cover alone was $99.

Since It was cracked and didn't have any big holes in it, I used fiberglass mesh and repair kit to fix mine.

And they've gone up in price since then:
http://www.rvpartscenter.com/rv-parts-store/vents-roof-supplies/rv-roof-vents-trim/rv-escape-hatch-exit-vent.htm

You could use wood to reduce the size to the standard 14x14 and install the much cheaper type vent.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

bobcat

Rickf1985

I second Lichtsinn motors, Good people to deal with and they have all of the OEM Winnebago parts. You will find that the skylight And the roof hatches are winnebago only and not cheap but they do have them. The roof hatches actually screw in from the inside and screw to the outside frame of the hatch pulling it tight against the roof in a sandwich fashion. Aftermarket ones screw in from the top and have to have something to screw into. The Winnebago is lacking in that area since all there is up there is a thin metal skin and then foam inside with nothing for a screw to really bite into. Unless you are lucky to catch a roof support on one side.

gpw9552

If there are no large holes, just cracked, you get wet patch at Home Depot or Lowes.  It's a mastic that is applied with a putty knife for sealing around flashing and repair leaks in shingle roofs.  I used it when I installed a wood burning stove in a mobile home (flat roof) to seal the flashing around the chimney pipe.

Wayne Thomas

I caulked a cafateria tray upside down on mine . Been there over a year . It's a light color tray .