Introducing myself and my 1978 Winnebago Chieftain

Started by Jer4sports, October 09, 2014, 01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jer4sports

Hey guys,
My name is Jeremy and I'm brand new to this online community. What brings me here is the obvious...I just purchased a 1978 Winnebago Chieftain 26RK!  It's hard to contain my excitement with only four pictures but I'm sure I'll post more later. I bought it off of Craigslist in Colorado Springs where my brother lives. I will be going up there mid-November to pick her up and drive back down to Arkansas where I live. Wish me luck!

A little bit about the Chieftain:
It has 34,000 miles and runs well. There is a clicking like sound when it runs which I suspect could be an issue with the exhaust manifold (I've read they're infamous for that issue). The PO mentioned an exhaust leak so I'll need to look into that.  There is also a minor oil leak, but not enough to concern me at this point. Could be a gasket. The generator fires up but then dies after a second. So it's not currently working, but I don't suspect it's completely done for.

There are a few of what I like to call idiosyncrasies that I might expect out of something 35 years old. There is a little hail damage on one side and front and back. Minor windshield crack. Cab A/C isn't currently working. Fuel gauge doesn't work. The stove vent hood fan only has 4 of its 5 blades which I think is the reason it's so loud! Probably should replace that. Part of the ceiling in the shower is peeling back. None of these issues are too much of a concern to me. Granted, I would like to fix them at some point. I just need to prioritize my repairs and do them a little bit at a time for budget reasons.

The pictures don't do it justice but the interior is in really good condition. There is not a single blemish in the old shag carpet or any of the upholstery. The tires are in good shape. The awning is pretty new and in good shape. Lots of positives!

I'll have to admit, I'm a little intimidated by the mechanical side of things as I do not have much experience. However, I have found the advice/input on this forum extremely helpful and I'm glad to have this community to help me along the way. I will post more specific technical questions about the rig on a different topic, but for now I just wanted to introduce myself and my new rig.

Thanks guys. Look forward to interacting!
Jeremy

77Brave

eXodus

looks great.  Welcome !!

This has fold down bed or ?

Jer4sports

Yup! There's a bed that folds down from above the driver/passenger seat. Looks like its never been used. 

And I too love the chrome bumper. Did that come standard back in 78?

Lefty

The chrome bumper was not standard. It was an extra cost option. Few good ones have survived, be sure to keep it clean and waxed to prevent it from rusting.

Overall you got yourself a really nice looking Winne. The problems you described are both common ones, and fairly simple to fix.

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Rollingmenace

Congrats man looks like a nice rig. I just bought a Winnie myself and am having fun fixing all the little issues I find in mine... I live in Colorado Springs myself and it's funny as long as I have been looking nothing really nice had come up for sale.... Good luck with your new rig... If ya need a hand with anything before the journey back let me know.... Zach

Jer4sports

That's great to know about the bumper. I'll be sure to keep it looking nice.

And Zach, what are the odds you're from the springs?! Man, I bought it on a whim while up there visiting. The guy had it all the way up at Rampart Resevoir so not a lot of people were looking at it. Worked to my advantage. I might take you up on that because I know I would like someone who knows what they're doing to at least take a look at it before I drive 1000 miles to be sure there's not anything major I really should  fix. Or if you're not sure, you might know some trustworthy people in town? I'd like to see what you're working with...1976 it looks like. That's awesome!

Rollingmenace

Jeremy,
I'd be happy to give it a once over.. We could look into exhaust noise and oil leak you mentioned... Also check the main things like belts and hoses, fluid levels and conditions ect.... I'll be out of town for a few days around the beginning of November but otherwise I'll be around... I got all the tools needed for most all repairs ... As far as mine she's a 76 d21 overall good shape but I will slowly rebuild and refurbish from ground up... There is a few pics here in the general section as well as a thread in the project section with pics ... Plus if your out this way I'm always more than happy to show off my toys, be it my Winnie , hotrods, motorcycles or my dune toys... Again congrats man, and just drop me a line anytime.... Zach

DaveVA78Chieftain

Hey Jeremy
Looking good  :)clap

QuoteThat's great to know about the bumper. I'll be sure to keep it looking nice.

Sure you do not want to swap your pretty chrome bumper for my rust pitted chrome one?

Dave
[move][/move]

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Jer4sports

Thanks a lot guys!
Dave, sounds like a great idea...my bumper for your bumper as long as you throw in your exhaust manifolds, stove vent fan, fuel gauge, working cab AC, and a working generator! O and how bout your entire 440 engine without the oil leak? Haha just messing around. It is nice to know that although there some imperfections with the rig, there are rare pieces to it like the bumper and Dave mentioned to me that the hubcaps are priceless as well! The reality is that there are probably over a thousand things right with the Winnie but like with a lot of things in life, we tend to overlook the positives!

And Zach, I just read your post with pictures of your Brave. I have to ask, are you the one who bought the Winnie that was on the right side of I-25 northbound near Monunent? I really hope so because that was what motivated me to search for mine. That would be nuts! And man, I would really like together before my trip down to Arkansas. I'm still figuring out exactly what dates that'll be happening. When I figure that out, let's coordinate something!

Rollingmenace

Jeremy..
Just let me know on the dates... MAN HOW CRAZY IS THAT.. I had been watching my Winnie on craigslist for a while just waiting for some cash to free up.... My mom came out for vacation and we went camping and riding in Utah ... The last two days we got rained on quite a bit.... So long story short I was taking her back to airport in Denver and saw the Winnie on the side of i25 .. I decided to stop on way home and take a look.. Called the guy and wouldn't ya know it it was the one I was watching on craigslist.. Well I pulled some strings got the cash and drove it home the next day...

Jer4sports

That's nuts!! Your Winnie was my inspiration, no joke. And when I told friends and family in the co springs area that I was looking at buying a classic winnebago, they all asked if it was the sweet looking one off I-25! So needless to say, yours is pretty legendary.

Robilee 1978

I love seeing the rear kitchen and the green!  Mine is gold and rear bath. But the plaid shag carpet rocks!