Change is good.

Started by DonD, September 21, 2014, 10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonD

Rick, I just nosed around Ebay, there's some locally to you for $500ish. FYI
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Rickf1985

I have nothing to put it in and I can tell you that it is very heavy. You may want to have a forklift handy or at best an engine hoist but rigging it to a hoist might be dangerous. Why don't you want to keep it in there? You are going to have a lot of fabrication to do once it is out to replace the hole it leaves..

I appreciate the offers but I am not there yet and I am trying to prolong the move as long as possible. There is no way it would be able to be put into an older motorhome, just too much weight on one side plus the way the older ones are built they have no real support for that kind of weight outboard of the frame rails. You would have to go with a light duty one available for that purpose. That one you have there is far from light duty and is made to handle any circumstance. That is going to be basically the same as a lift gate for a truck with more safety features.

DonD

That area will be the bedroom!

The big azz 12v cables for the lift will feed the Onan under the floor. The lift has it's own battery, run through an isolator. the bus batteries are around 1200 amps X2. I am adding 400 more amps to that.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap!
Don and Mary

Rickf1985

Put the bed on the lift! Indoor/outdoor sleeping depending on the weather. That would be novel. Push a button and watch the sunrise from bed, all kinds of possibilities.

DonD

In some areas that sleeping arraignment would make a nice bear feeder  :)rotflmao
Don and Mary

DonD

While searching for a bus, I contacted my MH insurer to inquire about overage... No problem! Gave the info. for the bus I was considering and even got a price quote.

Now I find THE bus and they won't touch it!

Lib Mut, no 
Prog (via phone), no
Titan, no
Nation, no
INF, no
CSI brokerage, no
State Farm, no
Spent a good part of a day talking to many ppl.

Following a helpful hint on Skoolies.org I went online to Prog and using the described methods was able to get insured!
I had NO IDEA this would be an issue. I've never had trouble having ppl take my money   :laugh:

Tuesday I am going to try to convert the title from bus to RV, then ins. should be easier to get although most insurers won't insure home converted units, must be pro-built and they want interior pics. Solution: send then pics of a factory rig, any factory rig.   ;)
Don and Mary

brians1969

DonD

I am covered for now. If I can get an RV title, then I'll try RV insurance places. The insurance industry is weird, some consider a school bus as unsafe when used as an RV. School buses are built like tanks. Built to survive a roll over.

I am liking this bus so far. Adequate power and good MPG. Driven 90 miles and by the gauge it's about 10mpg, all uphill coming home and a little stop and go 10mi trip.
Don and Mary

xerofall

We have Progressive and are happy with the rates.

DonD

Progressive just canceled me after a week! They don't do buses on the non commercial side. So I applied listing the vehicle as newly titled.. A "motorhome coach". Same price same coverage. We shall see  Hm?
11/14 EDIT: Canceled again!

Applied again with the Prog. Commercial side. Time will tell.....again...this is getting ridiculous.

If this keeps up, I'll have a very expensive boat anchor.  N:(

Don and Mary

DonD

Just scored 4 of these:

Very friendly price. 100 ah, 1060 ca.  :D
Don and Mary

Rickf1985

Care to share the price and supplier?

DonD

Sure, my friend Joe knows a guy in California that deals in batteries from various sources.

$35 each.

http://www.remybattery.com/Intimidator-9A31-Group-Size-31S-AGM-Battery-P4445.aspx
Don and Mary

Froggy1936

That is a fantastic price , But the freight charges would ruin it for anyone needing shipment ! Frank My last ones from Pep Boys were in the $100.00 range ea
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DonD

All 120v electric including Onan in and working....NO SMOKE!! NO SPARKS!!

Gen is backwards for easier service access. No room on body side so slither under and sit up to work on oil/points etc.

Need a pipe to stack with muffler.
Don and Mary

M & J

M & J

DonD

Put a 10 gallon spun alum. gas tank to the rear of the gen. Fills through a hatch inside the wheelchair lift door. Next= pick up batteries tomorrow, 12v wiring, then on to plumbing...
Don and Mary

DonD

Grey and black tanks roughed in.
Black is hooked up.
All batteries paralleled together for about 500ah.
Fridge is running through the invertor, 12.89v mid day, will check in the morning for voltage level.
12 v to the TV outlet.

Sunday is rest and football, taking Mary out for lunch.

Mid day volts today=12.84.
Don and Mary

ClydesdaleKevin

Nice job so far!  How much standing room do you have in that bus?  The very few converted school buses I was in were older ones, and at 6'2", I had to cock my head to the side so my head wouldn't hit the ceiling...never mind the AC units...lol!  Are the new ones any taller inside?

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DonD

6'3'' on this one, lower at the wall. There are some hi-tops out there. Motor coaches are taller. 
Don and Mary

Rickf1985

Are you going to build any kind of enclosure for the generator? That is in a really rough spot as far as road crap getting on the generator.

DonD

Big ol' mud flap in front of it but may do that Rick.
Don and Mary

LJ-TJ

Ummmmmmm Build a box.....Trust us. D:oH!

DonD

I worked as a utility lineman for over 30 years and other than a van, rarely saw a Onan with a cover on it. I plan on a some sort of deflector at least.
Don and Mary

DonD

So far I have installed/built:
Onan with 10 gallon gas tank.
17 gal. black tank in and functional.
35 gal. grey tank.
40 gal. fresh tank and pump.
4 batteries/charger and 600w inv.
Bed frame.
Shower pan.
Toilet.
LED lights.
Kitchen sink.
Res. refer.
All 120v done, 2 circuits and outlets.
7 gal. elec. water heater.
Large cabinet.
Portable propane/elec. cook top.
Toaster oven.

We are keeping the bus look and keeping it simple. Later there will be some wood paneling and other stuff but the bus shines through.
Only 3 windows are going to be non op.

Soon:
Finish fresh water piping.
Finish grey plumbing.
12v wiring, lights and outlets.
AC through rear wall above bed.
Window coverings.
Floor coverings.
Trailer hitch and wiring.
TV and ant. stuff.

Heat is by Mr. Heater or 120v electric unit, both portable.

The bus has 2 big ACs for OTR cooling and 2 engine supplied heaters.

We have about 21 feet of floor with no wheel wells. Our living room is 7.5 X 7.5 feet.
Full bed with batteries, water, WH, etc under it...lots of storage.
3 X 4 foot shower, toilet in same 4 X 6 ft. room.

This vehicle is built very strong. All steel walls, roof and floor. 600-900 mile range, awesome visibility and drivability.

Don and Mary