Change is good.

Started by DonD, September 21, 2014, 10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonD

Been bus shopping but found a really nice 24 ft step van with an Onan, roof AC, 4 batteries etc. Was a Snap On truck, now a mobile boutique. Big chassis, duals, 14k GVW (P30), engine size 454. New tires, batts and on and on. More details soon and pics too.
Did a preliminary layout on paper for the conversion. Q bed, large shower/ toilet room, res. refer, conv/micro, small kitchen and room for our 2 recliners!!! Van is clean, no rust, good body/glass etc.

Purchase this week if it continues to look good.

These are measured by cargo room so it's very close to the same overall size as our current 28 foot CL A.

Gains are;
All steel body
A bit more ground clr. for our exploring
Built for us, fits our needs    :)clap

" Has new tires, wheel alignment, new electrical & lighting, new fuse box for generator and AC, 4 new batteries for engine & interior fixtures................."

The vinyl wrap peels right off.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

M & J

I thought the wrap sold ya.  :laugh:
M & J

brians1969

What is the resale on a step van conversion?

pvoth1111

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

TerryH

and the sign said "long haired freaky people need not apply"
so I tucked my hair up under my hat and went in to ask him why
he said "you look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do"
so I took off my hat, said "imagine that, me working for you"

Brings back memories of travelling North America in a self converted school bus with a wood stove for heat and cooking, myself, exwife and our three month old daughter. Best three years of my life.

Built for us, fits our needs    :)clap

By far, the best part.
Whatever you decide, enjoy and good luck. :)clap :)clap :)clap :)clap

Terry

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

acenjason

Cool idea!  :) Are you going to install Windows?

DonD

This is very funny and an eye opener for me.

This van is advertised as a 24 footer. The very nice lady who owns it dutifully measured it from bumper to bumper and advertised honestly, to the best of her knowledge as a 24 footer. It does measure 24 feet out side, bumper to bumper BUT not inside from the driver's seat to the rear wall..It's 18 feet!
Having never measured our "28 foot" motorhome and armed with the knowledge that this van is ONLY 18 feet I sallied forth to measure our actual living space...From driver's seat to rear wall. The envelope please....19 feet!!

I layed out a preliminary floor plan and we'll be just fine with a foot less, AND no door on the PS wall!   :)rotflmao
Don and Mary

DonD

Windows? maybe Firefox...Hahaha, yes windows will placed as needed.
Don and Mary

M & J

And plumbing? Holding tanks?
M & J

DonD

And, and, and all that stuff!! Planning on all electric at least at first. Maybe wind up with a Wave Cat though, we'll see.
Don and Mary

DonD

No step van, just wasn't in good shape, has electrical problems.

I just bought a bus, will pick it up soon.
2000 Bluebird TC1000. 5.9 turbo Cummins, 190k mi., front tires 2014, rears 2010, 2014 state insp. Very clean. Dual AC and heat, CC, tilt, radio..
Don and Mary

DonD

Picked up a 4k BF Onan today. The float needle was suck shut but she's running sweet now.

Don and Mary

DaveVA78Chieftain

Cool.   Be advised them seats are HEAVY.  The metal is Super duty (drill bit investment).  Part of this new adventure will be air brakes.  Do you have jack and jack stands big enough?

Have you found http://www.skoolie.net/
Dave
[move][/move]

DonD

Owner is pulling the seats for me, replacing the reds with ambers and make it road ready for trip home. I had a CDL for many years and yes, air brakes are a different animal. No pressure to push fluid, just move the peddle to open a valve essentially.

Big jack and stands are in my shed. I have a very good bus guy available to me also.
Don and Mary

M & J

Congrats Don. Looking forward to the renovation thread.
M & J

pvoth1111

Some may not know but bluebird made/makes? RVs.....they are called Wonderlodges....do a search on Ebay or else where.....very high end quality motorhomes.

my ebay search below

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Other-Vehicles-Trailers-/6038/i.html?_vxp=mtr&_sop=2&_nkw=wanderlodge&_geositeid=0&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

DonD

Oh yes, there are a couple out there for sale, nice AND expensive.

Bought the Onan, a toilet, 4 position load center (only use 2), 12 position 12v fuse block, female 30a receptacle for the gen. line.
Don and Mary

DonD

Today: Fridge (new), shower pan, sinks, a faucet, some cabinets(CL).
Don and Mary

M & J

Pics or it dint happen.
That's what Stripe used to say anyway. i??
M & J

DonD

Don and Mary

DonD

Water heater .. check!

Don and Mary

acenjason

DonD

The FedEx fairy came today

One piece at a time!
Don and Mary

Rickf1985

Does the handicap lift work? That is a sweet addition since I will be in a chair sooner than later.

DonD

To the best of my knowledge the lift works. I will be available soon as I can pull it out.

After it's out, I was going to put it up for sale.... if I can palletize it you can have it for the shipping. No idea how big it is and how much it cost to ship...yet.

I spent a few weeks in a WC and I'd love to pay it forward, I know the hassles.
Don and Mary