Generator exhaust exit position for exhaust stack?

Started by Rickf1985, January 18, 2015, 12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

My Onan exhaust comes out the bottom of the generator and then towards the back of the coach and then makes a 90* turn out the side. I want to put one of those stacks on to get the exhaust up off the ground but I do not want to run it up the side of the RV. Can I re-route the exhaust out the back and then into the stack which is easier to mount there and also will benefit from the airflow over the stack while driving.

sasktrini

1) wouldn't a permanent stack be heavy and risk damaging the walls or itself to employ it while driving?
2) while driving, wouldn't the existing routing be sufficient to prevent exhaust fumes from drafting into the cabin, without the stack?
Corey aka sasktrini

Rickf1985

They make special stacks that are very light and do not seal tight at the bottom but instead rely on the heat of the exhaust and venturi effect to take it out the top. This is for when you are running at the campsite so you do not fumigate the neighbors, or yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44461-Gen-Turi-Generator-Exhaust/dp/B000BUU5XG

I should note that I said "while driving" and I now realize that these do not stay mounted.

sasktrini

yeah, was thinking if it was permanently mounted, you'd need something sturdier than the gen-turi

Corey aka sasktrini