Can antenna cable wear out?

Started by HandyDan, September 09, 2014, 07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandyDan

On Labor Day week we went to the lake like we do every year to spend time with our redneck friends.  I park in the same spot with the same motorhome with the same television set and same antenna.  Last year I could get 6 strong channels.  This year I couldn't get anything.  In desperation (wife's, not mine), I went to Walmart and got a flat antenna.  I ran it up a tree and hooked it to the cable-in port on the side of the motorhome.  I could then get 4 channels.  After I got home I tried by-passing the coach tv cable with another one.  I could then get stations.  I have deduced that the problem is in the old cable.  I had not done anything to it.  Do cables just wear out?  What to do?  I can't imagine how to run a new cable through the walls of the motorhome.  Pulling on it from the roof didn't help.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

M & J

Corrosion can deteriorate all the connections. Flexing can cause the center conductor to break.
Does yours have an amp? Perhaps its gone bad or lost 12v power.
M & J

circleD

The old wires in there will get corroded at the connection points and the inside wires crack. This is common with 30 year old anything  :laugh: . I've been pondering on how to upgrade the antenna and after removing the gunk and sealant up top, the only way I know to put in new wire is to clean it all off the roof then undo the panel on the wall. Have someone inside while you're up top and see if the 2 of you can even make the wire move back and forth by taking turns on pulling on it a little hoping it's not stapled to something. If you CAN make it move enough then tie some string or hook the new coaxial to the old with a connector and pull the new through the wall. 
IF you REALLY wanted to upgrade and do away with the factory crank up antenna that is now not working good. You can mount the new antenna on the roof (higher is better) permanently then when you disassemble the factory antenna and crank, utilize the hole for the crank to run your new coaxial wire through. They make rubber disc or plugs with holes in the middle. This is a typical retro fit used on emergency service vehicles when changing out antennas or light bars. Then you have just the coaxial wire coming straight down into the cabin and then you can run against the wall.
This sounds complicated but starting with the simple way first is preferred and seal everything back up.

pvoth1111

They work off impedance and corrosion can impend impedance.
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

DaveVA78Chieftain

I ran a new antenna cable down through the fridge roof vent.

Dave
[move][/move]

circleD

I was going to suggest utilizing the vent pipe on the DS because it goes straight down to the area of the factory antenna connection. Sure you'd have to drill through the vent pipe and seal it up but it would get you to the original area and it's simple. I like making things different  W% .

Froggy1936

I had the same problem on a 2 yr old antenna i solved it the same way Dave did i ran a new cable thru the fridge vent that was 4 yrs ago woked since then  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.