leaking steering gear box

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 26, 2008, 08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 1/21/2006 5:27 PM

The steering gear box seems to be leaking from one of the seals.   Can anybody help?

- Bob

Sent: 6/15/2005 9:16 PM

Assuming your steering box is the same or similar to mine....
Mine was leaking from the same seal, had gotten to needing the p.s. pump reservoir refilled at least once in the course of a long days drive; we were dripping onto restaurant and rest area pavement. I fixed it myself after getting home - so I could take my time. I had to drop the p.s. box and its bracket together, not having a puller that could pull that pitman arm off of the splines on the pitman shaft. I undid the hydraulic hoses, the connection to the steering column at the top, and the 4 or 5 large rusty bolts that held the bracket to the frame. Much use of wd-40, and getting rust in my face. I undid the back end of the drag link, since I did have the tool to press the taper joint apart, though I probably could have left it attached and done the work crouched under the front fender.
The assembly dropped straight down - it weighs about 50 lbs! I undid the lock-ring at the top of the steering box, then could unscrew the "adjuster plug", which had two holes in it for a "face pin spanner". Then I had to remove an internal C ring, with my C ring pliers, and the little seal came out of the adjuster plug. The seal had a number on it of 5688229. Its inside dia fit my index finger, the outside diameter was about the same as a 50 cent piece. I bought it at a business that sells bearings and seals, I think it cost under $12. It is possible to buy the entire set of seals for rebuilding that power steering box, but there are more than one set of seals, and it would be over $50 for all of them. The other parts to rebuild the p.s. box would add up to maybe another $50 worth of small parts.
Anyway, I just replaced that top seal. It was not too complex, and the tools you need to do it are in most well seasoned tool boxes. Putting the "adjuster plug" back in involves tightening it down to slightly preload the bearing inside. This would be half of the normal procedure of adjusting the steering box anyway. When properly done, you should be able to turn the steering shaft with a pair of pliers on the splines, but not able to turn it with only your fingers gripping it. The pitman shaft adjustment cannot be done by guessing that you have tightened the Allen head adjustment screw enough. I do it by comparing how the RV drives, before and after I change the adjustment of that pitman shaft bearing preloading. It will be mushy if its not tight enough, or if its too tight. In between it will steer sweet and crisp.
The hardest work was reinstalling the assembly. I had my wife operate the far end of a balance beam, (2 by 8 on a cinder block) to help me get its weight hefted back up into place. It hasn’t leaked a drop in the last 15,000 miles.
Good Luck and let us know how it works out.

Sent: 6/16/2005 8:52 AM

hi all,

had the same problem after trying to get the adjustment on my steering box. sprayed the top top for 2 weeks trying to get the dam thing to break loose. no way! all it did was to start leaking. got a rebuilt steering box for $155.00. only hard part was getting off the arm. bought a little puller for $15.00 and it worked perfectaly. whole job only took about 2.5 hrs. now its nice and tight and no leaks. very easy. i have some pictures if anybody is interested.
good luck
sal

Sent: 6/20/2005 12:25 PM

hi bob,
sorry for the late responce. went camping this weekend. i'm in so. california and i got the rebuilt stearing box from a auto parts dealer here called one stop. don't know if they are all over the country but i would think they should be comprable around the country. i posted some pictues of the unit in the box and there is a # on the box you could call to see if there is a supplier around you. i'm a computer nerd and don't know how to add the pictures to my posts.
hope this helps a little.
sal

Sent: 6/24/2005 12:29 PM

To add pix to your posts, look at the tool bar when making your post.  On the lower line, click on the icon that is a mountain in a yellow square with the little box in the upper right (between the calendar icon and the "A").  It will bring up a window which has "My online photos", "my computer", and "clip art gallery" tabs.  Click on the "my computer" tab, click on the browse button, and navigate to the photo you want.  Click on the photo and then on the "open" button and then the "add photos" button.  Voila!

- Sob

Sent: 6/25/2005 9:39 AM

o.k.
i'm trying it now.

Sent: 6/25/2005 9:44 AM

hmmm,
it just dissapears when i press add photo?

Sent: 6/26/2005 10:31 AM

There's a spring clip - called an "anti-rattle washer", that pushes the bearng blocks into the grooves of the coupler body and gives a slight preload to the steering joint.  It fits at a right angle to the steering shaft, and once installed, will be held in place until the joint is taken apart.  If my picture attaches OK, you can see how it works.