72 brave generator size, space & mounting?

Started by Thenoob, September 02, 2014, 08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenoob

Hi guys

Getting ready to fly out and go pick
My 72 dodge winny brave, 318.

No gen in it but all hookups there apparently.  My big questions are

1.  Did the original setup have a dedicated fuel tank or did it plum into the main?

2.  What size should I be looking for.  Don't have any huge power upgrades that I'm installing inside the coach.

3.  Are the gens that originally came with the ones that slide out or dropped out?

Thanks in advance, didn't have pics
To reference from the coach.

Oz

The fuel is supplied by the aux fuel tank.

It would have originally had a 2500 watt

They were neither slide out nor drop out.  They are lift and set in.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Thenoob

Sweet

Thanks for the info!!

Looks like a have a few options then.

How were they vented? I know they have louvres in the lid, but do you guys have it propped open a bit to help breathe, or did those older onans have their own exhaust?

Cheers!!

Oz

My 74 had a small fan mounted in an hole in the bottom of the compartment to draw heat out, but that may have even been done by a PO.  As far as all I've seen, they just have the louvres in the door.

They have their own exhaust.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

Well if your generator bay is empty chances are that the bottom plate is bolted to two pieces of angle iron one on each side. If so then the plate will slide out. Also there should be a hole on the left side of the plate where the generator will exhaust. The only are intake is the louvered door. They have there own muffler system. There are some great deals on 4000 Watt onan generators on Craigs List. Should pick on up for $50.00-$250.00.

LJ-TJ

Thenoob

Makes complete sense
Pics are awesome

Thanks so much!!!!

The search begins for powerrrr!!!

sasktrini

Quote from: LJ-TJ on September 03, 2014, 07:44 AM
Well if your generator bay is empty chances are that the bottom plate is bolted to two pieces of angle iron one on each side. If so then the plate will slide out. Also there should be a hole on the left side of the plate where the generator will exhaust. The only are intake is the louvered door. They have there own muffler system. There are some great deals on 4000 Watt onan generators on Craigs List. Should pick on up for $50.00-$250.00.

Why couldn't I live in BC?  $50 for an Onan?  You don't mean $500? Dang.  Sometimes it sucks living in the middle of nowhere (unless you are in an RV)!
Corey aka sasktrini

Thenoob

I do see some good deals on onans close to me... Seattle as well.

Just was wondering how they went in, if the exhaust is pretty universals for the onans and setup the same way so the exhaust fits thru the opening in the bay... Or if they changed their design over the years

You guys rock!!