oil cooler lines leaking on 83 p30

Started by Schwarzkopf9, August 13, 2014, 03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schwarzkopf9

Hey guys, I found an oil leak on the engine oil cooler line going under the radiator. Looks like it was rubbing on the mounting clamp. My question, is there a decent way to fix this? My thought was to just cut the bad section out and clamp a rubber piece in there but, will it take the psi? I wanna just get a new one but, I'm sure it'll be spendy...

circleD

The rubber lines needed are probably one of the cheapest things to buy when it comes to repairs and upgrades. The price is .50 per foot or less. I bought it in bulk so I could run a whole new piece and have some left over for other hoses that needed replacing. If you have a foot or two left over then put it in a storage area with some clamps for emergency repairs if you don't forget where you put it  W% . Honestly, by the time you buy just enough hose to fix that area, then a connection piece, and a few new clamps, the price and hassle of putting in one continuous line IMO is the best and cheapest.

pvoth1111

I had a post written on this very subject???? with pics on the fix? Its in here in the chevy section.
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Schwarzkopf9

Craps, it's all the way up north of me so I can't get a pic till next week. It's a solid metal line that runs under the radiator and then up the passenger side into it. I'll have to splice into the metal tube. I suppose it's not that much pressure since the gauge reads about 50psi. A rubber piece of fuel hose and three hose clamps on each end should be okay? Thoughts? I'll check out that thread for now.

pvoth1111

Passenger side maybe tranny line....oil cooler line maybe on drivers side....thus is the case on my 454
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Oz

Here's the link to Pvoth's topic.  It details the repair, complete with photos and detailed instructions!  :) :)ThmbUp    

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,9770.msg52301.html#msg52301
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

Do NOT use fuel line! It will not stand up to oil, especially hot oil. On a cold morning with the choke on you can get up to 80 lbs. pressure. If you are going to go the do it your self route be sure to get line that is rated for oil, hydraulic line is what most use. There are special barbed fittings that will not come off, ever! Use them. As far as splicing to the aluminum line, I don't have a solution for that. Just sliding a hose over it and clamping will not work, at least not for too long. And when it lets go at 60 MPH you will not know it until the motor is out of oil and hammering or seized. That will happen in less than a minute. IF you do see it and slam the brakes on................................... where do you think that oil went? On the road under the tires, YEE-HAWWWW! Take the whole line off and take it to a shop that makes hydraulic lines, any heavy equipment or large truck place. They have the hose and the tools to put new hose on your metal lines. It may be pricey but it will last the life of the vehicle. OH, If that line blows and the oil hits the hot exhaust in just the right place, I don't think I have to tell you the end result.

Rick

circleD

I just happened to look at those very lines today. The ones going under the radiator is the transmission lines. Higher pressure than other things. The OIL lines go right up beside the motor on the DS into the cooler.

Rickf1985

My oil lines go under the radiator and up to a cooler in front of the radiator. It is a combo oil cooler A/C condenser.

Schwarzkopf9

Okay, here was my solution. I was going to just try taking the line off and cut it right where it was leaking and put a flare on the two ends then slip a hose and double clamp each end. Well, it was a good idea in my opinion, until the fitting that goes into the radiator broke....

So I had to remove the whole system down to the adapter at the filter and install a new system. New barbed fittings on the engine, New rubber oil cooler lines(73$ for 16 ft!) and new external cooler. All said and done, 150$ and 5 hours of labor. But no leaks anymore!

circleD

I know the feeling of paying so much for a small project bit at least you know its good to go for a long time.