Need Generac muffler tail pipe

Started by Rick Shaw, August 14, 2014, 08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Shaw

My RV came with a Generac Generator which, the salesman forgot to mention, stopped making Rv generators.   My muffler cracked and the tail pipe fell off.   I have the tail pipe but I have been told that they come as a unit.   I have also been told that there are universal mufflers.   I have been told a lot of things but they all seem to be wrong.   Somewhere there has to be a shelf with some of these mass produced muffler/tailpipe units.   Generac only stopped making RV generators about 3 - 4 years ago.   I need to find one of these...I cannot run my generator without it.   Any help will be appreciated.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Rick, how is someone going to help if you do not provide the model number?  Please, help us help you. 
You can at least find lots of part information here: http://www.rvdealership.com/rvdstore/index.aspx?CustomerNumber=348311&Referer=http%3A%2F%2Fbryantrv.com%2Fshop.html

Dave
[move][/move]

Rick Shaw

Sorry........the serial number is 3515975 and the model number is 0095975.   It is a 5,000 watt generator.   I was in a brutal and horrific car accident last year and now I am limited in what I can and cannot do.   I cannot get under the rig to measure the muffler so I have to rely on people to help me.....and they always seem to be too busy.   I believe I have someone to get under and take a pic and hope to post it later with the measurements.

Rick Shaw

Picture of muffler.    Measures 15 inches across excluding pipe.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Rick,
I believe the original Generac P/N was 092675a (no longer available) for a PrimePac.  I suspect you are going to have to adapt something else but you do need to know the inlet and and outlet size, body length and diameter.  Adapt something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONAN-GENERATOR-MUFFLER-155-1910-155-1520-4-1-2-DIA-/310441737487?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4847c4fd0f

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

I did read somewhere here that a member used a muffler from an older Subaru.  Specific details weren't given about the sizes though.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rick Shaw

Dave,   This looks like the best chance for me.   I am only concerned about the inlet pipe size.  The outlet can be utilized by buying whatever size it is and have the pipe bent to my specs.  Thanks.

Rick

ClydesdaleKevin

You could also maybe drive the RV to a Midas or similar muffler shop and have them weld on a new tail pipe.  Looks like the rest of the metal on your muffler is in good shape.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

THis is my setup, it's a generic brand muffler for several makes of generators and small engines.  I actually found this on Amazon..

It's a Walker 21585 Spark Arrestor Muffler.

How it's connected.

you can see the adapter I used..

Wasn't much, I think I paid US$28.00 ??
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

GONMAD

Hi Guys, That setup LOOKS a lot like the Onan standard muffler setup. You might need to adapt the proper flange to it to be compatible. I have installed a muffler from an Accura on my generator. It is for a V-6 engine but it's VERY quiet & only costed $65.00 as compared to $329.95 for the Onan or Generac. I found one on clearance sale at Camp World in the box for $15.00 a couple years ago & sold it on Craigslist. Otherwise look on EBAY or other similar sites. Hope this helps.   C YA! GONMAD

circleD

I bought an Onan muffler from the Cummins dealership for $62.00. I thought about using a motorcycle muffler or an old car muffler. Just make sure the inlet and outlet have the size you need. These gennies don't produce enough pressure to hurt any kind of rigging you come up with.

Rick Shaw

I am also thinking that an "old school" welder could weld the old tailpipe back on.   Kev, it does look like someone good could put it back on.....the only concern I have is safety.   It would have to be a very clean weld.   You are right....the muffler appears to be in very good condition otherwise.

Rick

Stripe

Careful what gets welded to what.  A lot of these setups were made so that you could easily pull a cotter pin to remove the muffler so that you could service the generator..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

bluebird

A guy with a mig welder can fix that up in no time. Problem is it would probably cost more than a new muffler. Check ebay I see them on there all the time. The muffler on my generac 7000 looks like the same thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-GENERATOR-MUFFLER-ONAN-GENERAC-KOHLER-/271493472734?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3f3645a1de&vxp=mtr

Rick Shaw

I have fixed the old muffler.   I did have the tailpipe because it happened to fall off while I was sitting when the generator was running in upstate NY.   I have a mechanic that comes to my house and does whatever I need and he doesn't charge that much.   He took a look at the muffler and tailpipe and said that he could weld it back together.   He charged me 25 bucks.  Incidentally, CampingWorld of Syracuse would not help me stating that they do not warranty used motorhomes.   I will never deal with them again.  I spent over 35,000 plus my trade in for this unit and that is how they treated me.

Rick Shaw

Kev, I forgot to mention that I did go to a national muffler shop.   He never offered to weld it back together.   I may not have mentioned that I did have the tailpipe to him so it could have been my fault.   He did however, tell me that I could purchase a universal muffler and if I did, he would have been more than happy to install it for me.