454 Fuel pressure too high?

Started by winime, August 04, 2014, 05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winime

She ran fine for about 125 mi, then she started crapp'n out again! this time I know its not the fuel pump, theres 12 lb psi at the carb inlet? ???:(

Im Open For Suggestions

DaveVA78Chieftain

Quote12 lb psi at the carb inlet

Flooding the carb by pushing the inlet needle valve off of it's seat.
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

Agreed, 12lbs. is double the maximum that is required.

ClydesdaleKevin

Its pretty common now with the crappy quality control pump manufacturers have now days to have mechanical pumps pushing out WAY too much PSI.  Over on the ChevyK5Forum, a lot of the guys are pretty much putting a bandaid on the problem by putting a small fuel pressure regulator right before the carburetor...after going through a half dozen mechanical pumps with too much pressure. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

winime

Thanks Kev, I'll see if I can find one of those little presure regulators.
By the way I forgot to say that when I switched to the aux. fuel tank (runs on the engjne pump only) the presure droped to around 7 lbs and still ran crappy up the hills.

Would this still be to much psi?

Rickf1985

7 is on the high side but if the carb is in good shape and you are in it hard climbing a hill I would not think that is the problem. I might start looking for vacuum leaks. Are you sure the EFE valve on the left exhaust manifold is open? That will push exhaust back through the intake passage to the other manifold if it is closed or partially closed and that will boil the gas right out of the carb.

winime