Sources for Radiator

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 26, 2008, 05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 7/6/2005 7:43 AM

We are camped up here in Vernon, New Jersey right now, at a VERY nice RV park that I highly recommend.  Its called Toye Lake RV park, or Toye Recreation.  This park doesn't have WiFi or cable, but it DOES have HUGE private campsites, full hookups for 30 and 50 amps, etc.  Did I mention the outstanding fireworks they set off on the 3rd?

Anyhow, here is my question:

I located a local radiator shop that recores radiators, but haven't contacted them yet for a price.  Before I do, I have a question for y'all.  Are new radiators available for our rigs?  Mine is a Dodge chassis, 71 on the chassis, 72 in the coach.  I have a 413 engine, and I believe my chassis in the M400 (M375 according to the service manual).

Are radiators still available new?

If so, what is the part number?

If they are available, is recoring simply a lot cheaper?

I noticed a lot of posts about recoring.  I was just wondering if this is done because of cost efficiency, or because perhaps our radiators are no longer available.

Thanks!

Kev and Patti Smith

Sent: 7/6/2005 7:49 AM

Kev,
Bad news. No they aren't available. you will have to re-core or find another used one.
sorry for the bad news, but Dave 78 chieftain had another alternative involving a GM crossflow type radiator, you might check with him..

Tom

Sent: 7/6/2005 7:51 AM

oh yeah...
the part number is on the radiator top tank. It doesn't cross to anything else still available though.

Tom

Sent: 7/7/2005 4:11 PM

Sussex County, Rick. 

Kev

Sent: 7/7/2005 4:30 PM

I was quoted $650 for a stock (1977 440-3) radiator recore from local shop.  Apparently the few places that make the cores use a build on demand process which drives costs up.  I have installed the new crossflow racing radiator ($260 total with shipping) however the rig still seems to be running to hot for my comfort.  Shroud may not be correct yet and because it eliminates the radiator transmission cooler I may not have the airflow just right through coolers.   Bottom radiator hose is not correct either.  Has a kink in it which maybe causing the "suck the lower hose closed" syndrom.  Not giving up on it yet.  Am going to try the electric fan approach as part of this (no stock fan).  Will let you know how it works out.

Dave

Sent: 7/12/2005 6:13 PM

A local radiator shop is going to recore it for me.  They didn't quote me a price yet, so I'll keep you all updated.

Kev