Towing with 1989 Winnebago Warrior 22' (P30, 454)

Started by engineer bill, July 27, 2014, 12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

engineer bill

My wife and I are starting to think about towing a car behind our 14,000 lb., 22' Winnebago Warrior with the P30-454 chassis.

We are are open to both tow bars and dolly's or even a trailer I suppose. I do understand that there can be complications in towing driven axles - both front and rear and that brakes may be required in most if not all of these scenarios. And, I have had the experience, years ago, of driving a U Haul truck towing my car, on a dolly, up a dead end street and having to disassemble it all before backing the truck out  I remember cursing under my breath during the whole process. I have also pulled and backed up one and two axle trailers with my SUV with no problem once I got the hang of it.

We have seen that a lot of people seem to tow Jeeps and Suzuki Samurais on tow bars. Are there compelling reasons for this? Are there any other good candidates that may be more affordable?

We have talked about towing our old Toyota Corolla ('98) on a dolly as perhaps  cheapest option. We could also probably sell it and buy something used that is more suitable.

We also are considering using my wife's 2012 Hyundai Elantra (~2800 lb.) as a towed vehicle. BTW, is "Toad" the correct term for both tow bar and dolly towed cars?

thanks to all, in advance, for your input.
Bill
"on the road again, I just can't wait to get on the road again..."
thanks to Willie Nelson

M & J

There are pages and pages of what to tow, how to tow, trailer, dolly, wheels up, wheels down, brakes, tow bar, etc. if you use the search function.
M & J

Oz

Quote from: oldrockandroller on July 27, 2014, 04:04 PM
There are pages and pages of what to tow, how to tow, trailer, dolly, wheels up, wheels down, brakes, tow bar, etc. if you use the search function.

Yes, take a look at those topics.  Enter "toad" as well as tow.  If you have additional questions, post them on a relevant topic you find. 

As for what kind of Jeep to look for, that's really not RV related and you can post that question on the General board.

When someone posts links or refers to using the message search to find existing info to read, pleased don't blow past it with replies.  They get deleted.  Doing that renders the message search fairly useless. since the additional info gets scattered all over the place instead of consolidated in only a few posts which makes it all easier to find and use.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Oz

Please read the above post.   Particularly the bottom, bold section.  This is what happens when people  post but haven't read what was posted previously. 

When there is already existing info on a topic and someone refers a member to it, they should look it up and add any NEW questions to an existing topic.   This prevents having numerous individual topics covering the same thing.  Continuing to reply only spreads info out farther across the messages rather than putting it together in fewer places so members needing it can find it without having to look at dozens of separate posts trying to put it all together.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca