Need source for 5 lug Budd wheel studs

Started by class87, November 26, 2008, 12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

class87

Sent: 12/11/2005 6:59 PM

We were almost finished with the brakes, and therefore almost back on the road, when we realized that the lugs on the driver's side wouldn't tighten, and were stripped!  We didn't notice when we took it off because the silver anti-seize had molded itself into nice neat imitation threads!  Anyone know a source for them, somewhere we can get them from quickly?  We are SO close to being on the road again!  A local place in Fredricksburg, Lane auto parts, MIGHT be able to get them by tomorrow around noon, and that's good...but if they can't, I need them overnighted ASAP.  Anyone run into this before?

Kev

Sent: 12/11/2005 7:18 PM

There's a scrap truck parts place by me..but he charges an arm and 2 legs for them, and you may have to leave your first born.....  they are brand new @, 6 bucks for the stud, 6 bucks for the outer square threaded stud, and 6 bucks for the 1 1/2 inch nut....that's $18 bucks x 5  that's $90.00 per wheel.....He will sell each piece seperatly too ....and don't forget they are right and left threaded....My 2000 International bus has the same nut and studs, if there is an international truck & bus place near you they may have em'....

Timmy

Sent: 12/12/2005 3:55 AM

Kevin, Take one stud, and one of the nuts with you to any NAPA Auto parts. They have them, and may even be in stock, but they will have to be physically measured & matched by using the stud & nut picture book. And they shouldnt be anywhere near 6 bucks each either!! Lefty

Sent: 12/12/2005 8:34 AM

I saw piles of those studs/nuts, both left/right hand, on a shelf at Weber Tire Co. In Fairfax Va. I would assume any truck tire place, or outfits that supplies delivery trucks, would have them. I would start by calling Fredericksburg Auto supply, or the nearest Napa dealer.
If it comes to an emergency supply, I have a full set of good used extras in my place, in Alexandria, VA.

Come to think of it; if one front wheel has them stripped, I would want to inspect the ones on the rear axle too.

Sent: 12/12/2005 9:25 AM

OK folks!  They will have them at noon today, so we are back on track!  NAPA didn't have them, or even the book to order them, at least, not the NAPA we went to.  And thanks Dave!  We really appreciate your willingness to help out every time we run into a road block.  We would have tried Weber Tire or Fredricksburg Auto, but they were closed yesterday (Sunday) by the time we realized we needed new studs.  As far as the rears go, I had to take them off when I got a flat, so I know they are still good.  I'm just hoping that the front passenger's side isn't stripped, but we won't know until we finish the driver's side, and lower the rig down on that wheel...can't break free a Budd wheel with one side on a jack stand...lol.

Kev

Sent: 12/12/2005 7:06 PM

Yay!  The studs were in at noon, and they were the right ones, left hand thread!  I didn't need to buy any for the right side, since they came right off.  My guess is that the morons who put on my new tires didn't realize they were left hand threads, and ruined them with thier air tools.  The rears were fine, which is a good thing...lol...the rear drums are a real pain to take off!  4 bucks apeice for the studs, 4 bucks a peice for the new lug nuts...not too bad I guess.  Anyhow, the brakes are done!  Yippee!!!

Kev

Sent: 12/12/2005 8:37 PM

Glad you got em' Kev....4 bucks a piece is a real good price....should get some extras at that price...cheapest I found were 6 buck ea.

Timmy

Sent: 12/12/2005 8:41 PM

The damage to the studs and nuts might have accumulated from more than one visit to a "service facility".
Its bad enough to think that a worker in a service facility would have messed up the nuts/studs that badly. Its worse to think they would have done it, and not noticed - and worst of all to think they wouldnt have had the integrity to care about the customer's safety or their own company's reputation; to make good the damage they cause, or just the existing damage they observed.
I would have to say the person who worked on it last and left it in that condition was either stupid, pathologically apathetic, or totally lacking in self-esteem. And whose elses wheels have they messed-up since?

I dont own an air driven impact wrench, since I havent needed one yet. And I never let a tire place change the wheels on any vehicle of mine. I can do that myself.

Sent: 12/12/2005 8:52 PM

Amen, Brother Dave!  Yeah, I'm not too happy with Colonial Tire.  If you think about it, 4 out of 5 lugs were stripped...only one was really strong enough to hold its torque...I'll be changing my own wheels in the future as well.  Come to think of it, it was your idea that helped us get the wheels of so easily!  The trick with mine was to jack it from the frame, not the axle, so that the wheel would clear the wheel well.  We used the "Denison Method", with a HUGE long pipe, a breaker bar, and the Budd socket, stabilized with a jackstand.  The driver's side nuts came right off, with barely an effort (the pipe was 11 feet long...lol), and torquing them back on was no problem either!  Gotta love levers!  Give me a big enough lever, and I can move the world.

Kev

Sent: 12/12/2005 8:57 PM

Kev....don't forget to give the lugs a check for tightness about 30 to 50 miles down the road.....always double check em' within that range after having them off.

Timmy