Electric fuel pump recommendations?

Started by mnoyes, September 18, 2013, 09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnoyes

recommendations  i??   with all the work ive done to the fuel system i.e. tank coat, rebuild carb, replace filters and lines and everything ive been reading about ethanol, im going to switch to a elec pump. i would appreciate any recommendations on make  and size i would need.  ( 318  4bbl 600cfm holley)   thanks in advance.....matt 

Madathlon

THe only question is did you set up for a fuel return or not.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

mnoyes

Madathlon

OKay then, you limited the type you can use, you need a self regulating pressure pump such as

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PFP0/E16087/N0515.oap?ck=Search_N0515_-1_-1&pt=N0515&ppt=C0128

You want between 5 to 10 PSI and 25gph flow rate.

Now if you decide on a return line set up you can then switch to my fav type such as this one

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PFP0/E16048/N0515.oap?ck=Search_N0515_-1_-1&pt=N0515&ppt=C0128

This type of system can never vapor lock and the consent flow allows for cleaner crisper throttle response.

I do not promote any Parts supplier and used these links as references only. 
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

gadgetman

Adding an electric pump only with no return system wont help vapor lock much. It will if you install the pump very close to the tank. This keeps the outlet side under pressure for the length of the coach and helps with vapor lock.

Another way is to just add a electric pump as a pusher to the mechanical pumps inlet side. For this you need a check valve and a T assembly.

Both electric pump systems would also require a oil pressure switch to keep the pump on with oil pressure and off if the engine stalls  IE no oil pressure. The pump should get voltage while cranking and the oil switch runs it in the run position. Add a manual momentary push button to it to run the pump before cranking if the coach has sat a long time :) Works great.

I can get you part numbers for the oil switch and the check valve if you need them. The oil pressure cut switch is a MUST for safety !

I used the push pump on mine and it did solve the vapor lock problem which seems to be worse with E10 fuel !!!!

MotorPro

Quote from: Madathlon on September 18, 2013, 10:22 AM
OKay then, you limited the type you can use, you need a self regulating pressure pump such as...

I do not promote any Parts supplier and used these links as references only. 

Not sure why you would need a return line with the vane pump. I have run and installed dozens and never once ran a return.