Resealing roof ladder mounts and seam caps?

Started by circleD, January 19, 2014, 09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

circleD

I don't have any experiance YET with this roof and wanted some thoughts from the WISE ones. The roof is aluminum on a holiday rambler 33' and the ladder supports make a cracking sound at the hard sealing material and the seals at the end caps don't look good to me. Should I strip it all the way down at these areas or what? Then what do I put back on the seams and ladder support? 

ClydesdaleKevin

Holiday Rambler roofs from that era were an odd bird, and always "felt" soft, because they were layers of thin aluminum and insulation and foam.  But they are rock solid in the long run.

I had the same thing going on around my ladder mounts and roof rack mounts.

I stripped away all the old crap, and resealed them with a strip of eternabond under them...I used new next size up stainless screws which I coated in silicone...and then coated the heck out of them with elastomeric roof coating.  Once that dried, I went around them again with silicone sealant.

HR roofs always feel softish because of the way they are built...but they are built to last!

Maintain them, keep them coated in Kool Seal or the equivalent, and they'll last you a lifetime...but they'll always feel soft.  Probably felt soft from the factory the day they were made.  Just the way they are designed.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

circleD

Thanks for the quick response Kev. I understand what you are saying but what about the cap seams? Coachmann 500 had a post about this I believe and didn't know if I should rip off the long seam or just patch the area needing it. Also, where do I find the eterna bond and such?

Stripe

Most likely your roof rack and ladder are riveted in place.  You can drill the rivets and remove/move the rack and ladder mounts clean the mess then re-rivet.  I got myself a decent riveter from Harbor Freight (thanks a lot Oldrockandloller now I have a new addiction $@!#@!
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

M & J

M & J

Oz

Message search Eternabond and Look in the resources section as well under "Roof".  Eternabond has it's own website.   Topic solved on that question.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca