Where is my converter?

Started by moonlitcoyote, April 18, 2012, 01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

SO may I ask about the converter? I dont even know if it has one or where I would find it. I had to take the Winny in to get a shock put on and so I turned the propane off while driving and I noticed my refridge wasnt working. Would like to find the converter and see what it is and if I should replace it.

HandyDan

I'm sure your MH has a converter or at least had one when it left the factory.  If it is still the original converter it is a metal box with wires coming out of it.  It is probably about 5" wide, 9" long, and 6" tall.  Mine is in the bottom of my closet but yours could be just about anywhere.  It is probably behind a cabinet door near the floor.  If you still have an original converter, you should think about replacing it with a new solid state model.  The old ones weren't very effecient, they hum and generate heat.  The new ones are mostly silent and way cooler, plus treat your batteries a lot nicer. They run about $150 and they aren't difficult to replace.
p.s.  Don't confuse the converter with an inverter.  The Inverter could look very similar to a converter but works very differently.  You may or may not have an inverter.
I'll try to find a picture of each and post them.
Here's one possible location:
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

moonlitcoyote

Thanks, I am actually sitting in the Winny right now, so will take a look around under seats and things and see if I see anything like that. I dont remember seeing it, but wasnt looking for it either....

Well that didnt take long to look in and under everything, still dont see any box with wires though :(

DaveVA78Chieftain

For your rig the 45 amp converter is built into lower portion of the AC/DC Power Control center.  Has a drop down metal cover over it.  Looks like pdf page 35 of http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/wincd/1985/1984-1988common.pdf.   Top portion contains the AC Circuit breakers and 12VDC house fuses in it.  Your is not a stand alone converter like Handyman indicated.  Yours looks looks like:

Parts book for your rig is http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/wincd/1985/85wcn27ru.pdf

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Thank you Dave, I didnt know that was the converter. I do know where that is.