Where's the oil pressure sending unit (Chevy 350)? Gauge doesn't work

Started by MSN Member, January 09, 2009, 10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

melyash

Sent: 2/28/2004

Hi all,

I am having some "issues" with the Mighty Winne as of late. I am having problems with the oil pressure gauge. It has gotten flaky (or flakier) and has now pretty much stopped reading. I do wonder if it is a gauge or a sender problem, but decided to try by replacing the sender. bought one at Carquest, but have yet to find the stupid unit on the engine! Any assistance would be appreciated. Matt

denisondc

Sent: 2/28/2004

On the 350 in my 87 chev van, the oil press. sender is on the back of the block, drivers side, pretty much right above the oil filter site. Very close to the exhaust manifold, and having a flimsy little heat shield therefrom. I had to replace mine also. Being a van I removed the engine cover to reach it. Im not sure you can even see it from underneath. You can gess at the resistance of the thing, 10 ohms? 30 ohms? and connect a resistor of that value between the connection at the sender and ground - the guage should then show some steady reading. denison

melyash

Sent: 2/29/2004

Thanks Denison, I will take another look there. Matt

Froggy1936

On top of block at l/rear see photo   Sticking out under distributor  Frank

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

MSN Member

Watch out when changing oil pressure sending units.Be sure you get one thats for what you have in the dash.It can be a warning light or a gauge.Most of us have a gauge but if you put the wrong sender in your gauge will not work.