1978 Elandan II not getting fuel

Started by Raceluvr, June 08, 2021, 03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raceluvr

I'm looking for chassis information for a Dodge chassis class A motorhome - specifically a 1978 Winnebago Elandan II fuel tank system.  Where is the fuel tank valve located?  The main tank is in the rear, with the aux tank in front of it.  I'm having fuel delivery issues, and have changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, but the pump is pumping air.  The aux tank is full and the main tank is over half.  I have a feeling some or all of the fuel lines are rotten, or have been disconnected from the valve itself.  I want to locate the valve and trace from there with an electric pump first.

Thanks in advance!

Elandan2

On my '77 Elandan II the tank solenoid is mounted to the inside of the frame rail on the passenger side of the vehicle. There is a metal plate underneath it so it is not readily visible.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Raceluvr

Thanks for the info!  Are your tanks on the passenger side?  Mine are on the driver's side.  I didn't think to look on the opposite side so I'll give it a look!

Elandan2

Main tank is in between the frame rails behind the rear axle and the auxiliary tank is on the drivers side just behind the front wheel.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Raceluvr

Thank you - different set up then.  I'll still check out the passenger side for the valve. I appreciate the help.

Raceluvr

Update!  The tank valve is on the passenger side frame rail, like your 1977.  The fuel lines are all rotten, so it will need the valve, and about 40 feet of fuel line, since I'll replace the fuel line from the main tank to the generator as well. I'm going to add an electric fuel pump after the valve to help push the fuel to the engine.

Thanks again for the help! :)ThmbUp

Oz

Good deal.  Let us know when you get it finished and working!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Raceluvr

I decided to attempt phase 1 of this little project.  The first photo (Valve 0) shows what I have to deal with, and the amount of staining on the underneath from either a leaky valve or fuel lines, or both.  There is little room to work, while on a creeper.
The original valve mounted directly to the frame rail, however, the replacement which is available is positioned differently, so I had to get creative and mount a mounting plate to secure the new valve.  For anyone wanting to venture in doing the same work,  I found a suitable mounting plate at Home Depot, using a T35 plate which is normally used to brace large beams together. (Plate 1)
Using some stainless bolts &nuts, I mounted the new valve to the plate. (New valve 2).
Finally I attached new sections of fuel line, using stainless fuel line clamps. (Installed 3). It's already 90 degrees out, so I will move to phase 2 tomorrow, which will replace the fuel lines to each tank, and then to the generator.  Wish me luck!

Raceluvr

A little update:  after trying to pump directly from the tank, it appears the float assemblies have varnished socks, which are not passing fuel.  I'll need to remove the gas from each tank, drop the tank and remove the float assembly.  If the tanks look pristine with no rust or other goo, I'll just replace the socks on the tubes.  Not really looking forward to laying on my back for a few hours at a time.  If it ran, I'd drive it to one of the rent a lift shops in the area. 

Oz

I hate it when my socks get varnished!  My wife says it's because I wear them a week before putting them in the wash...
???
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Raceluvr

Quote from: Oz on July 17, 2021, 01:28 AM
I hate it when my socks get varnished!  My wife says it's because I wear them a week before putting them in the wash...
???

:)clap :)clap :)clap :D :D

Too much softener?