Is fulltiming a cheaper alternative to having a house?

Started by ben2, November 17, 2013, 09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Great stuff guys. However while reading about places to stay. I didn't see  anyone mention airfields. Not Airports but airfields. I found many of the small towns in the States have airfields and many times the manager or caretaker will let you put up for a time. Just a thought. Hm?

tmsnyder

Boondocking seems fun but also seems like it would get exhausting.   What about picking up a lot at a tax auction or even on the regular real estate market?  Taxes would be low since there's no building on it, even in my state of NY.  One could even put in a pole and electric service.   City sewer and water might even be available depending on how rural the site is, or put in a well and holding tank or septic system.

Lots of times they sell these building lots cheap b/c they are too small for a house to be built on without a variance from the town.   Too small for a house is fine for an RV!

Pick one up in the south for the winters, and one in the north for the summers.

If one got the urge to wander and see new sights, one could still boondock for as long as they wanted before returning back to home base.

I was thinking that setting up an RV spot behind my house with a nice driveway back to it, and renting the house as an income property might be a good way to go during retirement.  I guess you could do the same thing with a house purchased only for that purpose.  Buy it to rent it out, while also providing a parking spot for your RV nearby, and income.   

Rickf1985

The big problem is that a lot of towns, more and more of them, will not allow people to live in an RV or trailer in a residential district. It is even getting that way in the more rural areas, the politicians have to feel important and prove to the rich people that they are doing something to earn their money. And the rich people do not want trailer trash. I know that sounds rough but if you look around at some of the areas where people have populated the area with RV's and trailers it inevitably gets run down. That is what I have seen when I lived in upstsate Pa. and now in NJ anyway. Nowhere around here in NJ are you allowed to live in an RV.

tmsnyder

tmsnyder

Is anyone using their membership in a fraternal organization as part of their full-timing plan?  I'm sure they don't want you living there but you might find a friendly reception at the bar and a place to park for the night at some of these while traveling, if you are an active member back in your 'home' area.   Elks, moose, rotary, vfw, am legion, KOC, etc...?

tmsnyder

Rick I just checked my town code, they have a law against house trailers including RVs, .... from 1939!  But if you drive around, there are RV's in a lot of driveways so apparently this is not enforced.  If someone were to start living on site in their trailer or RV this would be reported by the neighbors and then it would get enforced though.

Rickf1985

Therein lies the problem, These laws are buried in the books and nobody knows about them until you move in and then you are screwed. There is a guy right now advertising in our local facebook page looking for a site to put a Tiny house he wants to build and stay in. He is in the Air Force and stationed at the base here. He mentions that he wants to rent some property and water is needed but sewer is desired but not necessary.  Sewer not necessary?? And where do you plan to dump? This is why they enact those laws!!

tmsnyder

He's probably going to use a composting toilet.  But even so, you've still got greywater to take care of.   Yeah you're right, it just takes one person w/o any concern for his neighbors to royally screw it up for everyone.  Or one bad neighbor. 

tmsnyder

I've been watching a lot of videos by CheapRVLiving on YouTube.   There are people living on 3,4,$500 a month on the road.  Mostly BLM land out west.  Very interesting stuff.

There's a recent movie named Nomadland I'm looking forward to seeing.

Some cool stuff to think about.

Oz

Definitely less than owning a home.  Plus, if you don't like the neighborhood, moving is so much easier!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

peterr991

I think cheaper, but it is not so comfortable.

khantroll

Why would you say it's not as comfortable?

I have two RVs: My 1972 Winnebago D24, and my 1997 Lance Squire 5000.

If I were single, the Lance would be perfect. My wife and I could live easily in the Winnebago. If I'm being completely honest, I prefer it to our 1300 sq ft house. The only thing that I can think of that I like better about the house is that there are multuple rooms with doors that shut, so if you get mad at someone you can seclude yourself away from them. In the RV you just have to glare at them or go outside.