Hauling my new used Norcold 5.5 cu ft. frig unit home 3+ hrs. (on it's side ok?)

Started by 86Winnie454, November 03, 2020, 12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

86Winnie454

Getting a used Norcold N512UR frig from Castro Valley.  I live in Mendocino.  Going down this week to pick it up in my CUV. 

I know that when hauling regular electric refrigerators, you have to let them sit upright once again after getting it home, for as long as  W% you had frig laying on its side while hauling home.

Is it the same with propane/12V refrigerators?   Hm? Can I lay the refer down on its side, drive it home the 3+ hrs, and then sit it upright for at least as many hours (3+>hrs,?).  I may have to rent a uhaul pick up truck if not... in order to haul it sitting upright.  N:(

It's just a 5.5 cu ft frig.  Don't wanta ruin it.  :-[

Thanks.

Oz

Not the same as regular house refrigerators.  In fact, if an ammonia absorbtion (RV) fridge has sat upright for a long time without use, it may require to be turned on it's side, even top and back again, to free up the ammonia!  Still, if possible, bring it home upright.  It doesn't have to be perfectly upright, it can lean.  Once home, turn it on it's side and listen for the gurgle of the ammonia going through the tubing. If you can hear it, you should be good to install it and run.  If not, keep turning it until you do.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

86Winnie454

:)ThmbUp Thanks.  Got it home okay and really happy with it.  Did turn it on its side to ship, and when got it home, let it sit as long.  Hooked it up before install - which isn't happening until I can replace the wood platform under refrig cuz old one shot in my '86 Chieftain.  However, hooked it up to wires before slipping it into frig hole, and it lit up freezer in an hour.  Refrig took about twice as long, but cold.  :)clap

86Winnie454

Gotta love Winnebago...  When I cleaned up the old refer compartment after getting the old Norcold out, I discovered there are extra wires neatly screwed to the wall inside the refer compartment for 110 and 12V so I can install added, new outlets.  Newer refer found on Craigslist is shorter at 5.5 cu ft., than my old 8 cu ft. refer.  So, using added space to rebuild shelves for M-Wave, Toaster Oven, VCR and removing hood over stove which I don't use, but the infrastructure panel is located within and on face of the hood - the panel for water heater, clock, water tank, etc., and there's room for that to be removed from hood and replaced neatly within "tower" with refrig unit.  Even enuf room for my VCR to be directed into the bdm where TV is on wall.  I supported the wall next to fridge with extra wood before securing the TV wall mount into place.  Had to make sure screws were short enuf so they don't poke fridge when installed.  Works well, even tho flat screen TV is a bit (3-4") big for the RV.  I love renovating the RV.  Brown be gone!  Painted all white inside and used white wainscoting to overlay the brown woodgrain throughout.  Looks so much nicer white than brown.  I wake up feeling fresher, lighter, brighter.  Even took off the old white vinyl ceiling paper and painted the wood ceiling white.  What an improvement.  Removed the kitchen table, booth seats, and cupboards over that, also. Way, lightened up the weight and look of the inside of vehicle getting rid of all that wood. Gives it alot more spacious look.  Removed the old furnace cuz the mice had made the heating ducts their motel!  Used that space under oven for drawers to put pots and pans.  Kitchen sink, stove, etc., was all moved forward in factory to fit in heating ducts behind, and water pipes. when I took out the heating ducts, it enabled me to move the kitchen sink back further, so it doesn't jut out into room the few inches that it had.  Covered fascia with white wainscotting.  Was going to use recycled rubber tire flooring, but even tho the flooring was only around $350 for 90 sq. ft for my 19-22 footer; shipping from Arizona or Nashville, made flooring twice as much!!  Forgetaboutit!  Going with cheaper, lighter flooring.  I've had alot of fun renovating RV.  Very kit-like.  Next, underneath:  shocks, brakes, and hyperboost!

TerryH

Much the same when I replaced mine a couple of years ago. A suggestion - one of the difficulties I experienced when installing the replacement was the actual sliding it in onto a plywood base, given that the bottom of the fridge is on steel supports and you really don't have a lot of room to slide one side then the other. Pulling out was no issue, but rocking up and down, side to side as it dug into the plywood going in was.
Consider, if you have access to, placing a sheet metal piece on top of the new plywood. Would make the installation much easier.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

86Winnie454

Oz

Awesome!  The fridge always does take longer, but you know it works good!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

skloon