Pets in the camper

Started by camperhero, August 08, 2020, 02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camperhero

Hello to the round.

My wife got a dog five months ago. Unfortunately, the dog still hasn't got used to the camper, although we have already tried a lot.

Has anyone had any experience with it?

Many thanks in advance

joanfenn

Is the dog kenneled in the motor home when you are moving or loose?  He might take better to it if he has his own spot that he feels safe in.

Oz

Most of us travel with pets.  If they aren't used to it or not taking up on it, what Joan said is good advice.  Even covering the kennel with a sheet, except for the door, if need be.

And ultimately, if they absolutely don't acclimate to the camping environment,  get a pet sitter while you're gone.  Otherwise, it's just continually traumatizing them, and I'm sure you wouldn't do that.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

FarPoint

I have a slide in piece that defines the space while we're travelling. She's crate trained so gravitates to this spot under dinette. Safe and happy.
Of all the things I've lost
I miss my mind, the most...

Oz

She sure looks quite comfortable and at ease!

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: FarPoint on August 10, 2020, 09:09 PM
I have a slide in piece that defines the space while weââ,¬â,,¢re travelling. Sheââ,¬â,,¢s crate trained so gravitates to this spot under dinette. Safe and happy.

Beautiful doggo!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

FarPoint

Long haired Shepherd. She has single handily stressed out every vacuum cleaner she's ever met.
You have a pair of these don't you Kev?

Of all the things I've lost
I miss my mind, the most...

ClydesdaleKevin

Yes sir!  Paladin and Karli!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

I had one that passed in 2016 and he loved camping, and any kind of traveling. The Belgian Malanois I have now gets very anxious during the traveling but once there she loves camping. I have a new girl also, a Russian Caucasian Shepherd mix. When I got her she had just come from Moscow in January and I got her three weeks later and she was ALL fur! She was kept outdoors in a kennel over there so when she came here and was kept in the house I had hair everywhere. Forget vacuum cleaner, hello shop vac! Oh, she was also one year old so it was winter fur PLUS puppy fur! I have had health issues so have not been camping the last year plus so I don't know how she will take to it. With this Covid I have not been going out at all so she does not even get to go for rides. I only go to the range and I am not taking a dog to a shooting range.

Blksmk80

I've been trucking with my oldest going on 9 years, his sister 6 years and my youngest and biggest for 10 months. My oldest are 20lb chihuahuas and the big baby is a collie timberwolf cross. When in the motorhome,  they're dog piled up in the passenger seat

I found listening to music on low volume helped them get used to the semi, and the motorhome we are never in a rush.

Oliver GER

We are in the road with 2 cats
regards

Oliver from Germany

Oz

And they look quite comfortable with it, lol!
:)