Mike's 1973 D22 Complete tear out. From the Roof down!

Started by RockwoodMike, September 25, 2019, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elandan2

You built your own plasma table, I'm impressed. Now you just have to build a roller to make the siding and you're all set.  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=SWgLTJJ-RGU
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

RockwoodMike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msLi_9I_ikU
Here is a goal worth striving for..This thing is just beautiful..
As for a siding replicator..If he did it..who knows what is ahead!!
There is many kit cars for the Shelby Cobra, VW kit cars...I was wondering what all it would take to replicate a old style brow face Winnebago..??
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Rickf1985

You have a CNC plasma cutter! I hate you!!! In the line of work I do restoring old military vehicles I would love to have one of those. I would say with your dedication to what you are doing and using the skins available through the outfit provided above you could make a new eyebrow. It would probably cost as much as buying a new modern coach but well worth it in the end.
I notice from all the clean and not rusty steel scraps under the plasma table and the fact that both it and the project are pretty much outdoors that you must be in the high desert area where it never rains and humidity is non existent.

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Rickf1985 on October 19, 2019, 11:07 AM
You have a CNC plasma cutter! I hate you!!! In the line of work I do restoring old military vehicles I would love to have one of those. I would say with your dedication to what you are doing and using the skins available through the outfit provided above you could make a new eyebrow. It would probably cost as much as buying a new modern coach but well worth it in the end.
I notice from all the clean and not rusty steel scraps under the plasma table and the fact that both it and the project are pretty much outdoors that you must be in the high desert area where it never rains and humidity is non existent.

I live right in the heart of California..Near Fresno..we get about 10-12 inches of rain and plenty of fog..So humidity is there to worry about..What you are seeing in regards to the scrap under the table is Galvanized..16 gauge cold rolled galvanized..It stays that pretty light gray and never rusts..During the cutting of the steel, you use simple compressed air..with air having 80% nitrogen in it..it nitrates (super hardens) the edge where it is cut..so the edge won't rust either..That is why it looks so new under there..

I knew someone like you would respond the way you did..that is why, the hideous laugh!!  BWA HA Ha!! (cough)..

Go take a good look at that cnczone website..there is a section for home built  plasma machines..Any questions you might have..let me know..I have been running that table since 2009..I can cut 20 gauge all the way up to 5/8..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

I usually don't go above 1/4 inch steel..Because anything heavier and I can't get it on the table..I don't have any kind of forklift or hoist..so experience of the thick steel is limited..Each type of steel has its settings..speed..voltage..gap distance between the steel and the torch..It is something that need to be set before you cut..I can cut 1/4 steel like scissors cut paper..It is simply awesome!!

Rickf1985

I would become single if I told my wife I was going to get on more thing that make sparks!!! I have two stick welders, i MIG welder and a TIG welder. I also have two sets of oxy/acetylene torches, one full size and one compact. I do not have a plasma cutter and that is on the list of things to get. I might get interested in a table but I simply do not have any room. I work out of a single car garage and all my other stuff is in storage containers. I used to do a LOT of fabrication but with all the health issues in the last couple years I have had to back off. Cutting galvanized can be rather hazardous to your health, I am sure you know that.

And yea, I always look around the garage when someone posts pictures. Always looking for neat tools. You also get a feel for what kind of work that person does by their tools.

RockwoodMike

So I am getting everything ready to lift out the lower section of the port wall..Working on the rear corner..This poor motorhome..The whole bottom edge is just gone..the whole circle around this thing..As I am opening up the corner..Just little pieces of wood keeps falling out..Now discovered the bottom apron on the back wall is totally rotted out..The more you dig the more you find..I can fix it..I have a plan

RockwoodMike

I took the rear door off..pretty much just being held there by the sealant around the edges..Someone had removed the trim piece earlier because it was being held with screws and the original staples were ground off..Then the bottom pretty much fell off..Just got to stay positive!!

Rickf1985

I am assuming the bumper and all of that is welded on and that is why it is not being removed? Your dedication to this job is admirable, most of us would have reached for the matches by now.

RockwoodMike

Hey Rick,
The receiver hitch is both bolted on and then welded to the front part of the bumper framework..So to get the bumper off, that weld will need to be cut..Then just unbolt everything from the frame rails..That panel on the rear just fell off when the trim piece was unscrewed..But to get the new wood in..The bumper has to be out of there..All I did today was get the rear axle up on stands and the rear tires off..Gets dark real soon now..I didn't get any pictures..Sorry

Berlin-Tioga

We have a german saying/Sprichwort:

"Viel Feind, viel Ehr"

That's probably like: many foes, much honours  :D :)clap

Small tip for your glue-sliding problem: try some sugar grains between the parts. The don't interfere with the glue but reduce the sliding.

Keep on keepin' that dream alive!

Ben

Rickf1985

Quote from: Berlin-Tioga on October 23, 2019, 02:10 AM

Small tip for your glue-sliding problem: try some sugar grains between the parts. The don't interfere with the glue but reduce the sliding.

Keep on keepin' that dream alive!

Ben

Are you talking about regular food grade sugar? I never heard of that before, interesting. Learn something new every day.

RockwoodMike

Okay here is some ripping going on..I cut that weld holding the bumper on..Unbolted it and needed a floor jack to lift and set it down after rolling it outward. What a heavy beast..
So with it out of the way, I could pivot the rear panel upward..Rot Rot Rot :'(

RockwoodMike

Here is another view of the panel..the second pic shows the strip of wood that secured the rear panel to the floor..There was about 3 screws actually doing any thing to secure this piece to the floor..What a mess..

RockwoodMike

Here is the floor that secured the rear panel..This floor is a layered plywood..1/4-3/4-1/4 layers..Not a very good system..A piece of steel to screw to would be better..The original installation of screws just split all this open..Yea..More work to fix this..

RockwoodMike

I decided to remove all this rot from the skin..Peeling the skin away from all that foam goes fairly easy..Just taking time to slowly peel it off without bending the skin..So now I have a full size template to recreate all this..sigh!! $@!#@! Thinking of just using a 3/4 plywood for the full area..Or make a frame work like it originally was..Like I said way earlier..There is nothing on this that isn't going to be replaced remade or redone on this..

tmsnyder

I wonder if it would have been easier to take the whole thing apart completely, I suppose there was always hope that there wouldn't be rot everywhere you looked.

RockwoodMike

"I wonder if it would have been easier to take the whole thing apart completely, I suppose there was always hope that there wouldn't be rot everywhere you looked"

That would have been easier..I always like doing things the hard way!! :)rotflmao
Here is the remake of the rear wall..and the scraps I have to work with to take measurement..I ran out of daylight and energy..Should be ready to try and fit this up tomorrow ..

RockwoodMike

It is all framed up..A lot of work..But now there is wood where there use to be only foam..Wood to screw the taillights on...license plate..backup lights..Then glue and heavy stuff..After I set the frame on the ply with the glue, I just walked on it and that really settled the 2 layers together. Then a bunch of heavy stuff to hold it..

RockwoodMike

I noticed this one one of the rims..This was an inner rim on the rear..The tire is holding air..Wonder what the problem is?? Maybe bent?? !-!

Rickf1985

Bent or maybe lug holes wallowed out? Or maybe marked as a bad tire from years before and never painted over? These are the things that you hate.

tmsnyder

RockwoodMike

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superflex-RV-Rubber-Roof-Kit-8-5-ft-Wide-Camper-Roof-Repair-30-ft/282406640117
I was looking around for a roof system EDPM  TPO ..what ever I could find and research..Saw this on Ebay..It is a little longer than I need but maybe he offers it at 25 feet..Just wondering what everyone thinks.

RockwoodMike

Rickf1985