GenSet Runs - No Electric

Started by lexadmn, July 16, 2017, 05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexadmn

I have installed the Genset back into the Winnebago and re-connected everything as it was when I removed it. She starts and runs good now. However, the generator is not producing electric.

I don't know if the generator was capable of producing electric before, as I have never seen this thing run until very recent.

I have downloaded the wiring diagram from the member area, but I have no idea what I am looking at.

I have tested the load wires with a multi-meter and engine running. Nothing.

Does anyone have any recommendations of things to check?

Thanks
KC

Froggy1936

What type ? Brushes, Voltage regulator  Im sure there is a trouble shooting list here somewhere Need Name and Model !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

lexadmn

It is an Onan GenSet.
I don't know much about it but here is the tag.

plockit007

Hello I uploaded an Onan Gen manual for a 5k genny they pretty much are the same as the 4k. It just sounds like you are getting no output.... from the set. It is running..so as suggested check the brushes in the motor. I also recommend download an Army TM manual on generators and Repair. If I find more info I will shoot it to you.  Good Luck hope it works soon.

RANGERRICK

Are the circuit breakers on at the generator?

Rickf1985

I have the same generator and if you are not getting any AC then it would not stay running, check the breakers and fuses.

CapnDirk

Did you plug it in?   :D

The cord that gets plugged into the shore power gets plugged into a receptacle near the genset.  Just trying to start with the obvious.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

lexadmn

Yes, this much I did do. I also checked with a volt meter at the load lines at the generator connection just to ensure it was not a wiring issue in the conduit.

It does run and runs good. I am not sure where any fuses are but will look.
I have not checked the breakers in the motorhome as I verified no electric would get to the breakers.

Brush check was recommended but where are they?

Thanks
KC

DaveVA78Chieftain

4K BGE Spec K

Operators manual (965-0128) page 2-2 (pdf 8) - When looking at the control panel, the AC Circuit breakers are located on the right side inboard of the remote start switch connector plug.

Assuming you downloaded the correct manual (965-0528), brush assembly information is located on page 8-14 (pdf page 116) of the manual.

Wiring diagram: page B-7 (pdf page 156)

Slip Ring Cleaning
[move][/move]

lexadmn

Found the circuit breaker on the right side. No change.
I did test with multimeter and no voltage before the circuit breaker.

I guess I should have tested all of this before installing.
I will start removing it again tomorrow.

KC

lexadmn

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on July 17, 2017, 06:38 PM
4K BGE Spec K

Operators manual (965-0128) page 2-2 (pdf 8) - When looking at the control panel, the AC Circuit breakers are located on the right side inboard of the remote start switch connector plug.

Assuming you downloaded the correct manual (965-0528), brush assembly information is located on page 8-14 (pdf page 116) of the manual.

Wiring diagram: page B-7 (pdf page 156)

Slip Ring Cleaning

Thanks Dave.
I have removed the genset and removed the brushes.  I think the brushes are good. The braided leads do not appear to have cracked or broken strands and the brushes are about one inch long or so.
The slip ring.....    is gray-green'ish in color. No copper color at all.
I read the blog you linked and I will clean the slip ring and see if this helps.

Thanks
KC

CapnDirk

I believe we have similar if not the same generator.  The generator will not stay running if it will not supply power to itself.  A common (and what was wrong with mine) problem is that the gen. will run only if the starter is engaged.  It draws power from the battery for starter, fuel pump and ignition while cranking, then supplies itself after started.  This is where/how the brush and slip ring problem manifests itself. If it starts and runs then something is going right.

I have not looked at the manual for your model so it may be different, but at least the 12V inverter part is working IMO.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

lexadmn

Your are spot on Capn, I did clean the slip ring and reassembled the brushes and started it up. Very shortly after starting, it died and sure enuff, the starter was running. All other times, I switched it off and never heard the starter.

I'm thinking maybe I need to replace the circuit board on the control panel?

As it was running, I did check the gen and still, no electric.
Any recommendations on what to check next?

Thanks
KC

Rickf1985

There is a step by step troubleshooting tree in the manual. Best bet is to follow that to the letter. If you jump around then you will be chasing your tail for a long time.

tmsnyder

I bought a replacement board for my Onan from Flight Systems, much less $ than OEM, they have a great troubleshooting guide for your generator.  You gotta figure, if a company starts out building electronics for NASA and comes out with an improved generator control board, it's going to be good. Probably the owner has an RV and had trouble with his.  I can just see him looking at the board saying 'I could do better'.

https://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/onan-rv-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

What Rick said, follow the troubleshooting guide step by step.   It'll get you up and running.   Don't just guess and throw money at it.

They have a low oil shutoff, I'm sure you've checked but just in case, top off the oil.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

udidwht

Tip...

The fix for the oil sensor is to disconnect it and/or cut it.

That was from the Onan guy who fixed my Micro 4k awhile back (bad VR). Having a G-Man 360 would be very vey helpful for one when diagnosing. Not many shops have one or know about it. They either want to throw parts or worse tell one..."Yeah we'll pull the generator out.." only to find out later it didn't need pulling. LOL!
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 28ft
P30 454 TBI w/4L80E VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
78,XXX US as of 8/2/23