73 D18 roof replacement

Started by demon, March 16, 2017, 08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnDirk

Teryh:  The duck bill would be throw away.   Did you mean less viscous in reference to pushing of the attachment?

TJ: have not heard West systems in a long time (was doing composite aircraft in the late 80's) studied with Martin Holman, and others.

If you are going to use resin, (which I am against)  do a little research on the type of resin to use (polyester/Vinylester) on such aircraft as a Quckie and Long easy which did what you are trying to but not wood over foam.

My reservation on resin in between wood and foam is that it would require close contact/bonding of the wood to foam for the resin to grip.  Non uniform contact (hard to do on a wavy surface like the interior of an old motorhome) would result in voids.  Unless you can clamp every square inch, it's a setup for failure.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

demon

Yea man, the foam is very flat now and I brought home every clamp I own and some nice strait boards to put on the outside to help spread the load of the clamps and keep everything strait. WhatI  wanted was something that would stay nice and tight so there was no space between the plywood and the foam. If I used any type of thick construction adhesive it would hold the plywood away from the foam . I think I would even need more clamps to do it that way and I would be really afraid of it pushing tighter where the clamps at and making it look dented from the outside. The resin seams like it will be best. The test piece I did will not come apart without a hammer and chisel and it looks as though it is ripping the foam to do that

demon

Finished making the template of the wall and went to Home Depot to get a piece of 3/4 plywood. Everything they had was warped so I went to Lowes. Not much better. I was hoping when I cut out the piece it would be flatter because it was smaller but nope. I put it up there anyway and when I push the outside up against the wood , the outside follows the wood ao It has to be flat. I have it inside now on the floor with the ends propped up  so hopefully it will be better tomorrow. I should have went a few weeks ago and bought the  plywood and just laid it flat on the gorund so it would be flat when I needed it....Oh well

demon

stanDman111

Rickf1985

3/4" inch plywood? Don't you think that is kind of thick? Very heavy once you get the whole job done and high up so your center of gravity is going to move up quite a bit. What was originally up there would have been no more than 1/2" or probably 3/8".

demon

No it was 3/4 here. That makes it flush with the rest of the foam. I guess its that thick  because the bed is attached to it

Rickf1985

Gotcha, Didn't realize that was what came out and yes, it probably is for strength.

demon

well while i let the wood for the front side flatten out i started pulling everything out of the rear .

demon

stanDman111

its a slow go,but your doin a fine job= keeper going

khantroll

I'm surprised that was 3/4. Is it only that big at the top (where the bed mates)? I ask because I am going to be doing something similar a little later, and the wood at the base of the chairs doesn't seem to be that thick on mine

stanDman111

been there  done that  & mine was 3/4 inch plywood

khantroll

Hi Stan,

Was it that size throughout? Because mine looks like Luan

demon

it is 3/4 up there. that brings it out even with the foam and then luan wood is over all of it so where your looking it might just be the luan wood over the foam. look closely at the pics and you can see the different levels of foam in this area. Im thinking te 3/4 is there cause this is where the bed attaches

stanDman111

yep, same with mine exactly

khantroll

demon

Good news in the rear! The section of wood that I need to replace before the roof can go on is only this strip across the top about 4" high.  Hopefully I can find a straighter board for this!

demon

First piece of wood in !!! finally! fiberglass resin all over the board and i brushed it on the aluminum on the winni so i wouldnt miss a spot. put a board across the back so the clamps wouldnt mar that fine finish! plus to even out the pressure of the clamps. happy day!

Rickf1985

Did you ever notice that you just NEVER seem to have enough clamps? N:( :D

demon

Haha yes! Grabbed every clamp I had!

demon

well finally gave up trying to straighten out the 3/4 plywood for front wall .I tried everything. Just bought a nice strait piece of good plywood from a cabinet maker by me. Perfect! of course i didnt have enough resin to put it up so that will have to wait till mon so i cut some of the stringers for the roof. its 1" higher in the middle than the ends. I think it will look perfect like this. i just thru them up there to get an idea how its gonna go

stanDman111

are your stringers cut from 2x2 or from 2x4 ? lookin good

demon

I actually used 2x6 because they where the strategy boards they had. I was able to cut 2 out of each one. Thanks!

LJ-TJ

Koo-doe's to yeah mate, your doing a cracker jack of a job. Looking good. Well done. :)ThmbUp