RVs built on John Deere Chassis?

Started by Jkountz, May 05, 2009, 01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveVA78Chieftain

The single piston caliper.  I tried everything I could think of but I could not find the smaller size.  The larger dual caliper version is available a several places. This may be a junk yard only find.  Several RV manufactures used the John Deere chassis between 88 and 91 though finding your chassis version may be a challenge.

Good luck and let us know how you make out,
Dave 
[move][/move]

jmerritt

Dave,

I received an e-mail back in 2011 from a fellow who was trying to find rotors for his 1988 Winnebago on a John Deere chassis. He couldn't find any rotors so he wound up buying a complete HD70 with the double piston caliper from Arizona RV Salvage Inc. I might check with them to see what they have. I might also try Colaw Salvage again to see what they have. Although I don't need rotors yet I want to be prepared for when I do.

John

DaveVA78Chieftain

I was wondering if that was the only solution you would have.  Now I am curios if the dual was used on something else so you do not have to just use a John Deere / Oshkosh source.
[move][/move]

jmerritt

I would think that if you can find an axle that fits width wise and GVWR it would work since pinion to drive shaft brackets can be changed and drive shafts can be lengthened/shortened as needed. I am not sure about spring and shock mounts. It would seem that a Dana 80 would be a good fit if you can find one that fits. Transmission speedo gears are available but what latitude there is for the C6 would be a question.

jmerritt

Looking at the John Deere parts manual it looks like the Dana 80 hubs will fit on the HD70. I was matching bearing numbers, axle nut, etc., and they come up to be the same numbers. Now if the caliper bracket for the 80 will line up on the HD70 that would be awesome. I'll have to check into this further. Colaw Salvage wants $1995 plus shipping for the complete axle for an HD70, won't sell rotors separate.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Froggy1936

Also a place with a lot of old farm and truck parts Collis Truck Parts 610 837 7268            collistruckpartsonline.com  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

dlflyer

Hi, Just joined the this site.  We have a 1990 Safari Serengeti.  It has a John Deer/Oshkosh Chassie.  Made a copy of the parts manual and learned where to get parts.  Been looking for a website for our old motorhome for a longtime.  I think I found a good one here.  We have a 460 Ford with a C6 trans and I just replaced the Gear Vender over/under drive unit.  Looking forward to checking the gas mileage to see how much better it gets.  Should know tomorrow we are heading out one leg two of our trip(trans swap was done after going 600 miles without overdrive. 6.1mpg ouch).  Have a few minor issues will pick away at on our trip for something to do.  Any other Safari folks here? 
Keep'em Rolling

Stripe

Groovy! Welcome to our little space on the internet!

PICs, lots of them..

Oh, when you get a chance post a copy of your grreting and add some things about yourself in the General forums so we can all greet ya without hijacking this thread, Lol!!  :D
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

Welcome to our site.  Far as I know you are the first Safari Serengeti.  While each RV manufacture did some things their own way most things are common between RV's.   Love to some pics of your rig.

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

If you know any other owners, get them on board!  The more who join, the better it is for everyone.  We have all kinds of "niches" -  groups of people who own different makes and models akin to one another, but the community spirit, as well as the knowledge, transcends makes and models (much like the vast expanse of Dave Bailey's mind transcends time and space...)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

dragonx

Hey everyone.  New to the site but already found a fountain of information.  I have a 1990 Winnebago, Superchief DXL, on a John Deere Chassis with a F460 EFI engine.  Just in case anyone else needs it, here is the chassis manual:

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/pdfs/PC2278.pdf

dragonx

I recently purchased a 1990 Winnebago, Superchief DXL, on a John Deere Chassis with a F460 EFI engine which I thought was a great deal.  And to your point I thought that it shouldn't be a problem working on it because the parts should be somewhat readily available.  Unfortunately for me that has not been the case.  I have had my steal of a deal in the shop since I bought it trying to get it fixed.  The biggest problem hasn't been the engine but the actual John Deere chassis.  John Deere chassis division was bought by Oshkosh and then later Freightliner.  I tried to take my RV to a Freightliner repair center and they told me because they could not order parts for it because it was more than 20 years old that they would not work on it (not even the brakes).  My local mechanic has had problems finding chassis parts and calls me to see if I can find them on-line.  So far once I understand who makes what I've been able to order the needed parts but it hasn't been easy.  The worse part about this is that I haven't been able to drive my new RV (new to me) since I first bought it so I don't know at this point if it has even been worth everything that I have put into it so far.  Once I get it all fixed, road ready and I have taken my planned family summer trip this year it has occurred to me to try to sell it before anything else major happens to it because of not being able to readily find the parts.  I don't want to dissuade you from your personal beauty of a deal, just wanted to share with you my current situation.

DaveVA78Chieftain

If you have aftermarket part numbers, we really would appreciate it if you passed them along.  I have collected some resource information here: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,12627.msg74635.html#msg74635
[move][/move]

jjchvl

I know this is an ancient thread but I thought I'd post this info here for any other desperate part searcher like me.  I have a 1989 Mallard Overland on a 36 foot type A John deere chassis.  Been searching high and low for chassis and steering parts(and brake parts).  Learned that the Freightliner MT35(delivery truck) takes almost all the same suspension/steering parts as my RV.  Also brakes and rotors. Finally, I was frantic for a drag link.  Everywhere I looked they did not exist anymore and the few folk out there who said they found one paid over $1500 used for it.  Well, I called freightliner with a John Deere part number(from my chassis parts book) and the fella there ordered me a brand new drag link for $285(total with shipping came to $309).  I'm psyched!  My RV is in exceptional condition. I dont need the brakes, tie rod ends or drag link that I ordered right this moment BUT I'll have them when I do need em.  And it's very comforting to know where I can find most other suspension/steering/brake parts I may need in the future.  Like I said, the pads, rotors, and calipers are pretty common fair since the Freightliner mt35 takes all the same.  I hope this helps someone out there.  Good luck!

Rickf1985

That is very good info, I don't follow the John Deere thread since I have no experience with them (outside of tractors) but I have heard the nightmares of parts availability. I do know that Freightliner can be a real pain in the prat to deal with as far as RV parts also so you must have found a rare dealer.

outdooredge76

This is awesome news for me!!  :)clap
I just recently purchased a 1989 Chieftain on a 1988 JD/OshKosh chassis! I actually need a drag link, as the boot for the front ball joint is torn! Great timing to revive an old thread! :)

Oz

True, the threads may be old, but the RVs they cover aren't getting any newer!   :)rotflmao

Hardest part is keeping up with all the supporting links to things and tracking down which ones are still good, which are changed or gone, and new ones.

outdooredge76

What year MT35 did you go with for the correct drag link? i??

skrrt25

Hi, just bought a 1988 safari xlt, and cannot find any info. Please help! It's a john deere chassis with a ford 460 motor. No one seems to have ever heard of it, and I can't find anything about it

Oz

Judderman

Apologies for reviving a dead thread. I followed the member advice to obtain the john Deere manual download and could not find it. I guess the signature has changed.
I'm having issues with a john Deere chassi that has had all the hydro boost disconnected so the manuals down load would really help if someone could point me in the right direction?
Thank you.

Oz