454 Blown Head Gasket

Started by stopngo, November 03, 2015, 05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

No retorqueing needed on modern engines.

stopngo

I like what I am hearing because the minute its fixed Im headed south and am not enthused at the prospect of taking off Valve Covers at the second rest area I hit and get out the torque wrench.

I take it that 1985 454  is considered modern.   :)ThmbUp

M & J

2 or 3 step torque sequence when tightening them they are good.

About the only thing you'll want to do is change the oil quicker. About 500 miles you think Rick? Gives the oil and filter time to flush out any poo that might have gotten loose.
M & J

stopngo

Quoteany poo that might have gotten loose.

:)ThmbUp.............Good thought and quite accurate ............Especially due to the fact the intake was leaking as well.

I slipped the mechanic working on it a $50 today and told him to enjoy his weekend. I pay the company whatever the agreement + unforeseen without argument but a little cash directly into the pocket of the brains behind the repair without any publicity does wonders. It felt good to see the smile on his face.

TerryH

A "pat on the back" goes a loooonnng way, regardless of how it is done.
Slipping him the 50 is a great move - even more so if you are very happy with him.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

legomybago

That's cool dropping some cash on mechanic working on your rig....People should do that more often.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

M & J

I generally try to grease the machinery before the work begins.
M & J

stopngo

It also lets them know that should I need to come back to them over the repair issue that I am not there to get something for nothing. My philosophy......Never spend money needlessly..........Save where you can........but never save by squeezing another.

The Payment for the service is one thing...........Then comes the appreciation. Or the other way around.

Rickf1985

Working on a motorhome engine is not easy no matter how you approach it. That little extra lets him know that you feel his pain.

Donduncan

Quote from: M & J on November 03, 2015, 05:58 PMIMO: replace both gaskets and if one head needs decked do them both.

What head gasket is used. Just any one from say a truck? Like a c30? I can do all the work. Just am being told it is a special gasket? But I can't find and info. My RV runs only has smoke coming out tail pipe. I have to move it every 3 days here in the city I live in.

Eyez Open

Quote from: Donduncan on January 22, 2023, 05:48 PM
Quote from: M & J on November 03, 2015, 05:58 PMIMO: replace both gaskets and if one head needs decked do them both.

What head gasket is used. Just any one from say a truck? Like a c30? I can do all the work. Just am being told it is a special gasket? But I can't find and info. My RV runs only has smoke coming out tail pipe. I have to move it every 3 days here in the city I live in.

Just a thought here. Most smoking tail pipes are generally  caused by oil consumption...
 head gasket leaks those are water leaks.

Oil leaks burn bluish grey.

Water leaks burn/steam whitish/grey.

More than probably you have a oil leak, valve stem seals. Actually after 20 minutes of running the engine getting it hot the oil burning/smoke  should subside. Does your engine continue to burn oil once it been running for say 15 minutes? If so Valve seals are highly suspected.

Below is a video of this type of fix.

https://youtu.be/m9ZO2ofTufY

Donduncan

Quote from: stopngo on November 04, 2015, 08:34 PMTook your advice........Was quoted $900 plus tax. Sounds reasonable to me.
What head gasket is used? I have steam and water dripping from my tail pipe??? Please and thank you