Testing propane tank?

Started by 76PRROW, May 10, 2015, 11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76PRROW

The propane tank is built in but is under the coach and looks very ugly. Do these need to be replaced or recertified? Can I add a tiny bit of propane just to test it?

TerryH

There is a lot of info here should you search. Also most regulations are state regs, so you may want to check.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

76PRROW

Asked around town where I could get propane for an RV and found out one of my favorite gas stations does this and they have a mechanic I always go to for all my problems. I am fairly familiar with propane, part of my job for three years was operating a propane forklift almost on a daily basis which required frequent refilling. I was educated on propane safety in order to be forklift certified. The mechanic inspected the lines and tank and told me it was in normal condition, there was a little rust but he assured me that its common and to consider a replacement in 5 to 10 years. He said the safest way to make sure it doesnt leak was to only fill it with 2 gallons at first to test everything. And if I was worried at all to go buy a propane/CO2/smoke detector (which I did). Got home and bled the lines for air and all 4 burners work great and the oven cooked a frozen pizza perfectly. I was scared when after 5 mins the flame shut off but then realized it was just maintaining 400 degrees inside and the flame came back on after a minute. I wasnt able to test the propane side of the fridge because I couldnt get the little flame lit with the controls. Im assuming that is because there is no 12 volt power whatsoever as of now to the coach. thats for another thread.