How do I set up fuel lines to the generator?

Started by Rusty2867, March 18, 2015, 08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty2867

How to set up the fuel for the generator?  Any help on this is appreciated.

76minnie

I responded on your other post also. My Minnie doesn't have the genny anymore, but on the sending unit there is two nipples for fuel line. I've had it out to replace the float. One bends down into the tank. The other doesn't dip down as far and is capped off on the outside. I'm assuming that is for the genny so you don't run out of fuel for the motor?

Rusty2867

If I can get out there I will take a pic of the sending unit on my tank,maybe you can tell me if it looks like yours.It looks like it may have been replaced.

ibdilbert01

My 72 Winnie didn't have a genset and I added an Onan.  I just used brake line for fuel line and T'd it into the existing chassis fuel line.   (Obviously you need to keep an eye on your fuel gauge, you could use all your fuel and not have enough to get to a gas station)
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Rusty2867

This is what my sender looks like,does it look like the right one? Would the top hose go to the genny or was it meant to be a return?

LJ-TJ

Geeees I'm thinking that's the fuel line to your genny. I believe this is what they look like or something similar.

Rusty2867

Yeah,I don't know and really don't want to have to take it out to find out for sure.What type of sealant do you use on something like that?The sender is on the back side of the tank.

LJ-TJ

I'm not sure I'd take it out just yet. How easy is it to get at? I think I'd try and see if I could  say suck on it some how to see it I could get gas out of it. If I could then I'd try running a line to the genny and see what happens. If not then I might consider trying to put a different unit in. Hm?

Rickf1985

I am thinking that since there are only two line then it is a return and therefor not deep enough in the tank. I am also thinking you have some major issues there! Tighten the screws around the sender and put a new line and filter on. If you are having any running issues that is probably why, you are most likely pulling air at that leaky filter. The gasket at the sending unit usually goes in dry but you could use some Permatex #3 on it.

Rusty2867

Easy to get to.Looks like it was leaking before but no real signs of leakage now.

M & J

That is some nasty looking stuff in that filter.
M & J

Rickf1985

It looks like it has been replaced before, there is no reason you could not tap into the main line but you would have to remain aware of how much gas you have left. The only problem I would see is that you have an electric pump right there and it may draw a vacuum that would prevent the generator from getting enough fuel from that line while the engine is running.

Rusty2867

Not sure if I need the electric pump,is that something that is normal on these? It has a toggle switch to turn it on and the rv seems to run fine without it turned on.

76minnie

Mine looks just like that. And it wasn't hooked up as a return line. There is no return line. It also passed smog it California. So if it needed a return, I don't think it would of passed?
Also the second output extends deep into the tank about 3" higher then other pick up

Rusty2867

So the second (top) nipple would work for the generator? If so that would be awesome!

76minnie

I'd sure give it a try. That's my plan once I find a genny. Hopefully you verify that will work for me :D

Rusty2867

Quote from: 76minnie on March 22, 2015, 02:43 AM
I'd sure give it a try. That's my plan once I find a genny. Hopefully you verify that will work for me :D

Will do,As soon as my father in laws field dries up enough to get it out of his barn and back home I'll check it out!

Rusty2867

Ok so I got the Winnie home today,stopped  and put 13gal of gas in it on the way home and noticed that it does leak at the sender.I tightened up the screws and it didn't help so I used the top nipple and siphoned out about 10gal.So I am guessing that the top nipple would run the genny just fine.Now just to figure out how to seal the leak.

LJ-TJ

Ok, so unscrew the sending unit, get some cork, make a cork gasket, simple, put the cork gasket on and screw the sending unit back on. Run a rubber fuel line to the generator and Vila. Works like a dream. Well we hope so anyway. D:oH!

Rusty2867

Froggy1936

I persoally do not like cork It is very suseptible to cracking/squeezing out if overtightened, Neoprene is the very best. Then rubber, (do not use innertube  ) Always use a sealer with any gasket Aviation (permatex with a brush) is very good Spray on is also very good  Make sure sending unit is flat (not deformed at screw holes)  Good Luck  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

76minnie

I did what LJ-TJ said. I made a gasket out of cork, but I also used fuel resistant permatex. Only store around me that sells it is autozone. And not all of them carry it.