Need Onan Emerald III motor mounts

Started by Rickf1985, January 18, 2015, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

I posted another thread about re-routing my exhaust and this is somewhat related. When my generator starts or shuts down or misfires it REALLY bounces around. Now the PO had backed into a swale and caught the mounting tray and bent it a bit which I am going to straighten when I drop the generator but how soft are those mounts supposed to be? As soft as they are I do not see how I can keep the joints of the exhaust system from pulling apart. (the tailpipe is loose now from this and keeps breaking the pipe hanger even though it is a regular muffler hanger). My next question you probably know is where do I find the proper mounts, or reasonable replacements?

I have been trying to search this stuff but to no avail.

LJ-TJ

You might want to check these guys out. There a wealth of information on Onans.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Rickf1985

I will probably go with something from McMaster Carr. The problem is that I have no idea what kind of mount they use on these sets. Can anyone tell me the configuration of the mount so I can get something ahead of time? There is no mention at all of the mounts in the manuals let alone a picture.
Thanks.

M & J

What about rubber baby buggy bumpers?
M & J

Rickf1985

Might work but they would have to be the big black round baby buggy bumpers. They are kind of hard to find.

Rickf1985

Someone here HAD to have replaced those mounts in the last 25 years!?

gpw9552

From what I can find in the parts manual, I believe you need part number 402-0549, isolator, engine end.

I can email a copy of the document.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Generator end: Onan 402-0642 (Qty 2)
Engine end: Onan 402-0549 (Qty 1)

All are located between base plate and unit.

Page 15/16 of the NHE parts manual 940-0228B
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

Aha, I do not have that parts manual and it does not appear to be in our manuals section. Thanks Dave. Now all I have to do is find them. D:oH! i??

bluebird

Man those are spendy. Could almost buy a used generator for what they cost.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Quote from: Rickf1985 on January 24, 2015, 12:55 PM
Aha, I do not have that parts manual and it does not appear to be in our manuals section. Thanks Dave. Now all I have to do is find them. D:oH! i??

Emerald III is an NHE.  The parts manual is in the Free manuals section

Dave
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

OH S#%**!!! I just realized that I had put the Emerald III when I have the Emerald I 4Kw. OK, This is embarrassing. :-[ :-[ :-[

I think I was looking at both sets when I was looking for the parts and that was the last one I was looking at when I posted this, hence the wrong name.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Generator end: Onan 402-0597 (Qty 2)

Engine end: Onan 402-0549 (Qty 1)

All are located between base plate and unit.

Page 12/13 of the NHE parts manual 965-0231

[move][/move]

JerryP

rubber hockey pucks,
or
Also if you have a local, rubber/plastic supplier, you can by scrap pieces of Urethan rubber about one inch thick.

I have been using them for engine mount in my plane, and other projects for years.

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

Oz

"ribber hockey pucks"

"Necessity is the mother of invention"

Thinking outside the box in order to solve a problem is one of the things that really stand out about vintage RV owners!

:)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

Not being a hockey player, well we did use frozen beer cans when I was much, much younger, I always thought hockey pucks were hard?

Rickf1985

ou have given me an idea though, some older Ford Midsize cars used fluid filled engine mounts............................. I wonder?

JerryP

Quote from: Rickf1985 on February 03, 2015, 07:45 PM
ou have given me an idea though, some older Ford Midsize cars used fluid filled engine mounts............................. I wonder?
They are a hard rubber, which works well for motor mounts vibration dampening
I used them on 50hp 2 stroke airplane engine.
I do not think I have ever bought true motor mount rubber piece, They are priced hilariously high.
Picked up a couple chunks of 1 inch hard urethane rubber, from a plastic supplier, a few years ago and have been using it for the same application, cutting off squares, drilling and shaping as needed

Jerry P
A work in progress

Rickf1985

Do you bolt straight through the rubber to the generator or do you sandwich the generator between two pieces of rubber? The reason I ask is this, if the bolt contacts the generator and then goes through the rubber and then contacts the body then the vibration and sound will be transmitted through the bolt. I thought about your hockey puck idea and thought if I ran a bolt through off center to the body and another off center away from the original to the generator that would isolate the bolts and the two units. Thoughts?

TerryH

Just a thought, Rick-
Do you have access to used industrial conveyor belting? Sure you know what I mean - 1/2 to 3/4" thick, often reused as pickup truck bed liner, high durometer/shore rating, nylon? fibre reinforced. Often gas/oil impermeable.
You could use a solid rectangle under and make damping washers over.
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

Funny you should say that, I actually have about 30 feet of that stuff. It is pretty old and hard now though. Before I go to far I need to drop the set out of there and see what the mounts that are in there actually look like. If they are like the ones that the guys pointed out for me earlier when I posted for the wrong gen-set (III instead of I) then none of these ideas will work I don't think. Once it gets above the teens I will get out there and do something with it, too darn cold right now.

JerryP

I sandwich using large fender washers 
bolt head,
fender washer
rubber,
mount plate
rubber,
fender washer
nut
Jerry P
A work in progress

Rickf1985

Well, It is going down to 6 degrees tonight and only up to 20 tomorrow. I am hoping it warms up a bit be the weekend even though they are calling for snow.