New member getting back into it

Started by boogie_man, June 09, 2014, 05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boogie_man

Hi guys, just got a 1986 Winnebago 31 Chieftain with 50 k on it from my father in law.  It's in really good shape as when he got it from a divorcing couple it was stored mostly inside in the Fresno area.  He and my brother in law went thru everything they could: rear end oil/trans flush/coolant flush/brakes/belts hoses/main fuel tank-lines-pump (but not aux tank). My wife and kids took the train up on Memorial day weekend from south orange county, Ca to take delivery of it and drive it back to my shop.   It looking up things for these on google, I found this site and what a site it is !!!   You guys are very good and helpful /\/\/\/ kudos  :)clap.    Just fixed the freshly sprung main tank fuel pump regulator (found the link of other's woes, very helpful) and went for her maiden voyage to Idyllwild RV park this past weekend and she did quite well.  Most everything works with a few small things to tinker with, sure was hard looking around the campground seeing the nice "newer" ones with all the fixings but feel these were built very well, better wood cabinetry etc.   Anyways, thought I would say hi and thanks again for such a wonderful and helpful site guys and gals...

Scott

UK-Winnie

Quote from: boogie_man on June 09, 2014, 05:04 PM
...................sure was hard looking around the campground seeing the nice "newer" ones with all the fixings ......

I laugh at their fixings   :P
........nostalgia is not what it used to be

Mr. T

Ah, gee, a little envy never hurt anyone.  Think about this, though.  My grandson will be able to pick up one those bad boys for 3 or 4 thousand in 20 years or so.  Makes me smile when I think about it.

Welcome aboard.

Don

M & J

I fart in their general direction. 10 ton coach with a 5 ton payment book. Nah.
M & J

pvoth1111

yours can be what ever you want it to be.......no one cares about originality.....cept maybe on the outside...ours on the inside is what we like....beachy....all fixtures appliances and living mechanics totally upgraded....make it yours.....damn the next guy....I have a $$$$$$$Prevost right next door....mines all mine.....it is pretty though :-[
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

boogie_man

"cept maybe on the outside...ours on the inside is what we like....beachy....all fixtures appliances and living mechanics totally upgraded"....

Exactly!!! The inside of this one was very well preserved with plastic covering the original carpet which still looks great and everything pretty much wrongs good too.  The outside is oxidized with cracking pealing stripes which is one of the tasks I'm going after soon.  It looks very well built for sure and worth keeping it going sans a few small leaks that look to be coming from power steering lines at the left front side and a slight drip at the trans pan.   

Stripe

Those bigger, newer ones are uber expensive to buy, uber expensive to run and uber expensive to repair.  I'll Keep the 'Aluminum Goose", thank you very much..  Way easier to drive and parks in tight spots..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

moonlitcoyote

Quote from: Stripe on June 09, 2014, 09:37 PM
  Way easier to drive and parks in tight spots..
I can pull mine into a parking spot at most stores. It drives just as good as my Jeep. I love it and it's paid for, cant get any better than that.

pvoth1111

Quote from: moonlitcoyote on June 09, 2014, 09:45 PM
I can pull mine into a parking spot at most stores. It drives just as good as my Jeep. I love it and it's paid for, cant get any better than that.

woot
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

DaveVA78Chieftain

Don't let the ubers fool ya.  They breakdown just as much but usually cost megabucks to repair.

Go Go vintage!
[move][/move]

Stripe

Indeed..  Did I say welcome yet? ???
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

TerryH

Quote from: oldrockandroller on June 09, 2014, 08:13 PM
I fart in their general direction.

N:( Family site. N:(

:D I wish to register a complaint. :D :D :D

Thanks ORaR - always great to hear from a fellow Monty Python fan.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore