Rebuild or Replace Generator?

Started by Odss91b, March 17, 2014, 11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odss91b

Hi guys from Tennessee. My first post and I have a question, I just bought an 89 Winnebago Chieftain 33rq. It has a bad generator and I was thinking of either having it rebuilt or replacing it. My question is what size generator should I get if I rebuild it? Is there any thing that I need to look at as far as the new one is concerned wattage, features etc.

I was told generator windings have gone to ground. Don't know what that means or how expensive it is to fix. I've seen some 4000 watt for around $400 and 7000 wattage for around $800.

Froggy1936

91B Most likely what they mean is rust has caused the windings to short to ground. Any thing that will fit in the space allowed and has sufficent wattage for what you will need will do An exaust syestem can be fabricated and if you have a feed from main fuel tank a small elec pump will carry it (remove any generator attached tank)  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Stripe

Before you go spending a lot of money on anything, what model do you have?  I know there are manuals available on how to re-do your generator.  Heck there are manuals available on how to re-do the stator..

But in order to find what you need, we need to know the model number..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Thundercloud

Yeah I think I have the same issue with my Onan 6.5.        They can be a real pain especially if you don't have a real manual. It would most likely be easier to sell your old one to a generator shop. It has to be worth something as is. And just get yourself a new one for about $800 Your gonna want a good 4000 watt but won't be really able to run everything at once if you have 2 airconditioners. That's ok if you don't live in Death Valley. I think the big generators are more.. Anyway I'm in the same boat.I feel your pain. Also I'm not a know it all so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Independence, freedom and determination!!!

Thundercloud

Sounds like you need a new flux capacitor. ( joke)
Independence, freedom and determination!!!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Generator manual, did I hear Generator manual? 
Members area; Manuals, Diagrams & Tech Info, then either Onan or Kohler.

Note: One must be at least a Full Member to access the free manuals.

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

As to the size of the generator you'd want, a message search on "size generator" brought up this topic:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,4147.msg31734.html#msg31734

Good info, right there!

Basically, a typical generator size is 3.5 (for RVs smaller than 26') and up.  With the 1980's RVs, particularly in the 30' and above range, 6ks seems to be the starting point.  Any new generator worth its salt is... salty in price.  Used ones can be gotten at a good savings but again, you don't really know what you're getting unless you actually see it run.  And, it can have problems as soon as you install it, or shortly after.  You just don't know.

So, I'm with the rest here.  Find out what the problem is with yours.  We have a LOT of info here on a vast selection of years, makes and model generators... tons of topics covering common issues, and plenty of generator gurus to help you out.  For the most part, I see that, if you can repair an older model, it will last longer and perform just as well as a new one and at only a fraction of the cost to repair it.
Start with getting the make and model and go from there.  Get the manual and dig in.  I'm certain you'll get yours fixed in short order!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Odss91b

Thanks guys! I bought the MH from a relative and I have to pick up the generator one day this week and I'll know model number etc. then. He had it out and was trying to fix it. All I know right now is that it is a Honda and it is water cooled.

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

Only thing I can pass on is:
Honda generator was not original so this is going to be a learning experience.

Dave
[move][/move]

Odss91b

Well that's interesting. I thought it was original. What would have been original?

Oz

The generator preferences were a choice of options:

It would have been an Onan 4kw or 6.5kw or a Kohler 4.5w or 7kw.

Being yours was the 2nd longest size built, I would venture a reasonable guess that one of the larger kw generators would have been selected (Onan 6.5kw or Kohler 7kw).

ClydesdaleKevin

Yeah, but they make aftermarket stuff for the Hondas now, like exhaust mods so you can run it in a compartment, and gas feed mods so you can run it off the RV tank...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

cosmic

I got about 30 hours out of my champion. So now I have a  onan 4.0  BFA from 1977 in where it belongs and im so happy that I went this route. these are work horses.
Had I not put the onan in my rig. I would love to have a nice light weight Honda 3000 very quiet, but very hard to find a used one, and the new ones are expensive.  but you get what you pay for.

Oz

"Ahem"....

PM this please.  If your mailbox is full, kevin, clean it up some or use email.

i?? W% Hm? D:oH!

Odss91b

I know it's been a while since I posted on here. I tried to get it to start but I wouldn't. First hooked it up to fuel line from rv would turn over but not start. Then fed fuel via fuel line and funnel straight to carb it would turn over but not start. I could get it to run for a second or two but that was it. I contacted a generator repair man he said I would have to get it running before he would look at it. Basically because I live out in the boonies and it would be too expensive (travel time and service call) for him to come get it running then try and diagnose what was wrong with it only to find out that it may be to cost prohibitive to fix. So now decisions, decisions.

legomybago

Quotecontacted a generator repair man he said I would have to get it running before he would look at it.

hahahaha. I would find a differant mechanic to come and look at your genny...A "good" mechanic will come out and get your rig running blind folded. N:(  I hope you have other options. Seems fishy to me...
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Odss91b

DaveVA78Chieftain

First you get the Brand, Model and Serial No off the generator, post it here so we can decode it.
Then hopefully we can ID the service manual which normally has adjustment procedures in it.
I say hopefully because you already indicated it was a water cooled Honda.

Dave
[move][/move]

HamRad Mobile

Good morning; 

In the continuing saga of stories of Onan generators, I have an Onan Emerald 6.5 KW generator in the Winnebago Elandan.  It did not work when I received the Elandan.  The vehicle was first taken to an RV repair facility in Oregon for work on the internal water leaks caused by no preparation for the winter by the previous owner who had died, and the generator did not work.  The water or plumbing leaks were repaired and a tune-up was performed on the Onan generator along with having a new carburetor installed.   Then the Onan started, but it did not run well and it did not like having any real load put onto it. 

The local Cummins-NW people in Oregon were approached and an appointment scheduled for testing and diagnosis.  In exchange for the $280 provided to them, the printed report and the verbal description spoke of irregular running due to either stuck or broken rings on the piston on the "right" side of the generator.  The prognosis included the estimate of about $5,500 to rebuild the engine power source, but their recommendation was to consider buying the new current model 7 KW generator for only about $7,000 which would come with a two (2) year warranty.  I had not brought that much money with me that day, and I asked that this work or replacement be deferred. 

Some time later after getting the Elandan back home up here in Latte Land, I remembered that the sound of the engine when running did not include the noise like broken rings.  That left stuck rings.  Putting into the cylinder some solvent to soften and dissolve the gum or varnish might free the stuck rings.  I bought some kerosene and pulled out the sparking plugs to pour in some and let it sit.  The sparking plug on the "right" side surprised me. 

The ground side electrode had been bent down to where it was touching the center electrode.  The sparking plug was shorted, and there could not be any spark in that cylinder. 

Opening up the sparking plug gap back to the standard spacing and reinstalling the sparking plug into the cylinder head fully restored the Onan generator to normal smooth operation and it runs both of the Coleman Delta-TX air conditioners on the roof. 

I am not sure what to say about the Cummins-NW people with their impressive computer aided engine diagnostic equipment and the testing process for which I paid $280.   In any case, I did save at least $5,500 by doing some investigation myself. 

As others have said here, do not be afraid to at least look at your generator yourself.  There are the service manuals (find the model designation for your generator) here that you will need for the procedures and knowledgeable people here with whom you can consult and evaluate the results you find. 

Enjoy, 

Ralph 
          Latte Land, Washington 

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

cosmic

NO shoot.. danm crooks. shoot why not buy a new motorhome because it comes with a new onan.  :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

kattkisson

Story on Onan 4.0

This unit in a 93 Winnie ran but seemed to have a vibration. Bought a cheap platform lift at Harbor freight and lower it down and did service.etc.(many times)Still had vibration.  Finally it gave up the ghost.

Pulled it out and disassembled to major components.  Pulled out 2.5 gallons of tightly compacted field mouse nest mostly in the generator but extending into the engine shrouds. Ignition on this engine depends on a plastic arm in the generator swinging a small magnet.  This had been broken off. Sure this was a running problem but it was a fire waiting to happen. 

Found parts,replaced and screened all openings I could find on the installation. I relate this to everyone that has a generator that is open anywhere and sits idle like a lot of units. None of this mouse nest was visible unless you had taken a flashlight and looked into the louvers.

Froggy1936

Mice & squirells are destroyers , The squirells destroyed my generator (seeking warmth) after building there nest they removed insulation from wires For food . Unknowingly i fired up the generator in the spring to warm up for oil change . That destroyed the voltage regulator at least, Since i discovered the problem ;later wile on the road i replaced the Honda generator with a Harbor Freight (on sale $ 495.00) Now that i am home and have time and equipment for testing I may be able to save the old one ?? Hopefully, I have ordered a new VR & brush holder (broke it wile dissessembleing ) So heres hopeing  i?? Frank

Froggy1936

After arriving home I was able to fully disessemble the generator and ohm test all curcuits Found no shorts or opens But had no readings on the Voltage regulator on any combination of connections So i reassembled the Generator installed the new brushes & voltage regulator & fired her up Yippee 110V on both curcuits So i mounted it in the Predatator framework I had to move the fuel tank to a new position on top Because of the heigth of the air filter & remounting the control box  . Now we have a home generator .Frank