Traveling while running LP/propane gas accessories

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 10, 2008, 02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce

Sent: 12/9/2004 3:37 PM

Does everyone turn off the main propane valve while travelling or is that something like " be sure your seatbelt is securely fastened,etc?" If it IS so critical why do the manufacturers make it so hard to get to?? Just curious.

denisondc

Sent: 12/9/2004 4:52 PM

No matter how times you see this topic arise on an rv site, some folks will say they would never do it, other folks say they routinely do it. I think the manufacturers just say that you should turn all burners off before you pull in to fill up with gasoline. I would imagine that many of us dont do that step. I only turn it off if it is a windless day and I cant find a service station without other customers. Other than that we travel with it running on propane, because it wont stay cold enough for a ten hour drive in 90f plus temperatures.
One thing I would advise: On the calmest most wind-free morning, turn on the propane to all appliances, leaving the stove burners shut off. Then snoop around everything in your motor home that has propane in it and running through it, and sniff for the odor of the "odorant" sentinel gas that is put in propane. This is how I found my propane regulator had a slight leak.
Our fridge works on 115v at the campground, but wasnt made to run from 12volts.

OldEdBrady

Sent: 12/9/2004 9:23 PM

I ALWAYS turn off the propane while traveling.  I use it to warm up the water heater, and, when ready to go, turn it off.

Mine is relatively easy to reach.  '77 Brave, 20-foot.  Two tanks, one used at a time.  Just open the side door. turn it off (or on, as the case may be) and close the door.

Sea Hag

Sent: 12/10/2004 11:35 AM

I leave my main vale on while traveling mainly to run the fridge on Gas mode . I do shut off all pilot lights when refueling my rig . The only time I shut the main propane tanks off is when I'm not using the rig .

I've never burnt anything down  . At leat nothing they have been able to prove  .Yet  !   that's my story and I'm sticking to it . Sea Hag 

intofire1

Sent: 12/10/2004   

Ok here is my two cents,
As a firefighter in Los Angeles I can't tell you how many times after the fact a house or motor home has burned down I here the owner state " I have all ways done it that way and nothing has ever happen" . Please be safe and maybe I have see to much in the past 30 years. Ok I will get down off my soap box how.  Thanks for your time Gil

Froggy1936

I use propane for the refrigerator wile traveling , I turn the fridge off when refueling and turn on a ceiling light to remind me to turn it back on after moveing away from island and doing my MPG check reset odometer etc My 12V operation works but does not regulate it will freeze everything in the refrigerator if left on So i have it dissconnected !The possibility of developeing a fuel leak is just as likely as a propane problem And 50 gal of gasoline is not worried about ! Just sayin Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

OldEdBrady

An update from me.  While still living in Utah, one fellow left the propane on--for whatever reason.  As he was leaving the campground, something happened that set it off and blew up the tanks.  RV was a total loss.  I've heard both sides of the argument, but that one made a believer out of me.  The propane tanks were finally listed as the case of the explosion.

Oz

Here's an image search;, you can read the news stories in the links at the bottom of the photos when you go to full size on any of the photos.  I've added pictures of RVs which burnt while traveling resulting from having pilot lights lit.  Look at where two of them were at the time...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rv+propane+fire+images&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=rv+propane+fire+images&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

Unforseen accidents can and will happen, primarily caused by LP and electrical system failures - undetected LP leaks, electrical shorts...

However, the chances of LP fire can be greatly minimized by regularly checking the entire system and repairing it as needed and to not travel with any pilot light lit.  I you choose to do so, remember to always, always pull-over and shut them off before entering a gas station, LP refill station,  or anywhere that flammable liquid or fumes may be present.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

vincewarde

Realistically, the following facts cannot be disputed:

1) The LP gas systems in motorhomes present some risk of fire anytime they are operated.

2) Motorhomes are more flammable and smaller than homes or mobile homes are therefore will burn more quickly.  Furthermore, we like have a large amount of gasoline on board.

3) Should a fire start when you are on the road, your evacuation time as well as the time before you can attempt to extinguish the fire is extended.

4) In many cases, the forward motion of the coach will effectively "fan the flames"of any fire that does start.

5) Operating any LP system while refueling presents a special danger due to the possibility of gasoline fumes being ignited.

6) Vehicles running on LP gas obviously have their LP systems on while under way.

7) LP systems need to be free of leaks because these are a hazard under way or stationary. 

Every one of us should take the above into consideration before deciding to operate a LP appliance while on the road.

tiinytina

food for thought.. no clue how many of these are due to PO errors... total happenstance etc.   I run the fridge on the go, propane detector installed floor level. Never thought about this refueling.. but will add total tank shut off now. rather safe than sorry....  everyday I try to learn at least one thing.... today this takes priority....

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Froggy1936

Also when i replaced my cooling unit in my fridge, i opted for the non flamable gas in the replacement unit, it cost an extra $100.00 but i dont have to worry about a fridge fire from a leaking refrigerator coil . The possibility of a propane fire is present any time even with the tank shutoff valve closed, on a horizontal tank .The gauge can develope a leak as well as the fill connection. But these i feel are less dangerous than a fuel tank developing a leak, from rust or vibration or a cracked/ruptered/broken hose.  And fuel vapors are lighter than air and rise, wheras propane is heavier than air and flows to the floor/ground. But if its your day for a fire ,there is also 12V shorts to consider from tandum batteries ,that will put out enough amps to weld steel with,  from rubbed thru battery cables. And this can happen from the wind wile parked.   Frank

Froggy1936

Tina if your refrigerator is like mine (electronic ign for the propane / no pilot light). Then just switching the refrigerator main switch to off, is all that is needed wile refueling.Also if you use propane for hot water and leave it operating wile driving you will have to turn it off also . And dont forget oven pilot if you use it.And in winter the furnace even with electronic ign could come on . Just dont forget to turn it back on after moveing away from the pumps . I turn on a ceiling light at fridge location when i turn it off, as a  reminder to turn it back on (its visable in the windshield rear view mirror also). I have had to pull over after getting underway a couple times to turn fride back on when fueling in daylight hrs. Frank

ibdilbert01

Also its not a good idea to wear silk underwear while fueling your car.   It could cause a spark under the wrong conditions. 

Be safe, save other peoples lives and go without!
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Oz

Quote from: ibdilbert01 on December 31, 2013, 09:37 PM
Also its not a good idea to wear silk underwear while fueling your car.   It could cause a spark under the wrong conditions.

Going to go a little off-topic here with silk underwear thing... well, you can't help but see a humorous side to it but, I had a 1988 Olds and almost every time I got out of it and touched the door frame, I got an electrical shock.  For some reason, in winter, it happened every time.  I recall pulling up to the gas pumps, getting out, and actually seeing the spark from the shock.  I thought about that for just a second and, for as long as I owned the car after that, I stopped the car about a foot or so farther away from the pumps and made sure I touched the inside of the car door frame as I exited to discharge the static electricity.

And, who'd have thought that using a cell phone could cause an explosion at the gas pumps?

Well, instead of taking all sensible precautions to avoid an unneccesary accident, maybe I'm just being paranoid and should chill out.  Perhaps take some zantex and the reality will just go away.

Back on-topic:  I think some states acutally have laws prohibiting RVs from having LP appliances in use or lit pilots while traveling through tunnels.  I'm pretty sure Maryland was one of them.  I haven't checked this in a long time though.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Here in WA you have to have your LP off when using tunnels and the ferries.
On another note,  I had the same problem back in 1988 with an Olds Delta 88. Weird......... ???
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

tiinytina

In Maryland you can't  drive through a tunnel carrying LP tanks on or off .... you have to take the bridge routes.....I believe this only applies to the tunnels under water not through mountains.. then again I don't think we have any mountain tunnels in the state... 
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Froggy1936

I have seen these signs at tunnels But they are so close to the entrance that there is no choice but to procede thru wile you comtomplate the sign wich should have been back about 5 mi, So you can pull over check a map and change route . I beleive the signs are just so if something goes wrong they can say we warned you . Now you owe $ 100 Billion in damages.  Good Luck with that ! And since all R/V,s have propanbe on board The signs should say No R/V,s or veh with propane  But really i beleive the law was ment for Liquid propane tankers That could cause an explosion that would destroy the tunnel and cause many drownings ! 100 lb,s of propane would not cause a signifficant explosion to breach the tunnel But would only cause a sufficient fire to produce a bunch of crispy critters ! Frank