318 muffler recommendation

Started by mnoyes, December 04, 2013, 09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnoyes

looking to replace the mufflers on my 73 brave 318, anyone have any recommendations or suggestions on a good quality muffler?

Oz

You can get a range of "good" mufflers at a range of prices.  The question is, how much are you willing to spend for "how good" of a muffler?

A good muffler that's a good value too ...  check with Midas.  Measure your specs.  Inside/outside diameters-intake/out flow, as you currently have, length and diameter (shape) of the current muffler (and measure your clearances to determine if you can be flexible on the shape - oval or round).

Or... if you have the ability to do so... take the old muffler with you.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

legomybago

If you want a hollow sounding rumble, go with a Flow Master muff.

If you want a mellow rumble go with a Mangna Flow muff

If you dont really want to hear the motor, go with a stock Midas style muff.

Small block mopars sound pretty sweet with dual Flow Master's
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Lefty

Dynaflow is a cheaper alternative to FlowMaster mufflers.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

chicknnhead

my 360 has dual exhaust with glasspacks on it, from the previous owner. they sound cool, but you can't pull into a camp ground at night...lol

legomybago

What you do is......pull into camp around 11pm, park with the headlights shining at someone elses camp, leave the rig running, slam the doors as you get out, then, talk real loud!!! Campers love that  :P

EarlJr

Its even more fun if you have glass packs, side dump exhaust and full-length headers behind your 440.

chicknnhead

I have never done that but been a victim a time or 2...lol

bluebird

That makes us old guys even crankier . Why do young guys have to have everything they drive LOUD? You won't get any better fuel mileage, and you won't be able to hear a thing when ya get older. I KNOW, haven't heard a bird chirp for at least 15 years. Every time I see a young fellow with a brand new truck that has cut the mufflers off, I just shake my head.

M & J

You'll have to speak up. Some young whipper snapper just drove through the retirement RV park with glass packs on his motorhome. :D
M & J

bluebird

Yea, I'd like to trade some of those $20.00 glasspacs I had,  for these $6000.00 hearing aids they're trying to sell me.  :D :D

ibdilbert01

I like the sound, a lot too!     But not on a RV!    I took mine down to a local muffler shop here in central Columbus (Solo Mufflers) and said "Make it quiet!".    Total cost for all new pipes and mufflers was only $290, aluminized.   My ears thank me!
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

joev

quite is good for us old timers i am only 51 but hearing is of an 80 year old from all the loud noises over the years

JDxeper

Us older people are usually in camp before dark! Leave after day light.  Could se some advantage to glass packs in the Flying J.  revenge! :P
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ClydesdaleKevin

PO put glass packs on our rig, and while I like the muscle car sound, it sure is loud through a quiet campground or neighborhood!  And with the 4 barrels opened up on a long grade, it sounds like a Cesna!

Its on my list though...possible headers, and much quieter mufflers, maybe this year in Arizona!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

dbsuperbiker

My 318 Brave blows out the mufflers with rolled seams...it took welded up premium mufflers to withstand the blowouts that occur while engine braking coming down a mountain

legomybago

I never revved up the old 4-speed farm truck going down the road and hit the kill switch....BOOM!! Dont tell the old man.... ???

drzbrave

First things first, get rid of the whole exhaust.  It is robbing you of power and mileage.  I own a 74 Brave D-19 with a 318.  I run Headman long flow headers purchased from Summit racing for 200$ these are met at the collectors with 2.25" aluminized tube straight pipe going into some medium flowmasters turned out to side dump before the rear wheels.  There is no "H" pipe in this set up because my wheel base is so short.  Just straight pipes.
I did this entire set up at my local exhaust shop Best Muffler in LV.  Total cost was 600$ for everything! Thanks Danny.
A couple of notes.  The hardware that comes with the headers will rattle off within the first 500 miles.  Your local shop will have some locking hardware, buy it!  Your headers will have to be tightened before every trip, this is a 10 min job once you have your set up memorized.  If you buy the medium flowmasters it will not be loud until it running at speed, for us about 55.  With this set up I get 7.5 MPG pulling the hills from Las Vegas to LA.  I should mention at this time I do this while flat towing a suzuki samurai with 33"x12" 50 r15s.  That is some serious tread. 
The best of luck.