Good Sam Club? AAA? Coach-Net? How do they compare & how have you been treated?

Started by aaron7, July 22, 2013, 07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron7

Need to carry some sort of protection in case we have a flat or something else happens in our older home!

Wondering who people recommend most. And those who had to use the services, how they compared to what they advertise!

George-47

I have Good Sam...been towed once to a RV dealer for radiator repairs..[ that was the beginning of the death of my Elandan and where I purchased my Dolphin DP].. This was in a snow storm and GS found a tow truck that could deal with my rig..He towed me to the RV dealers gate and I was there for the start of their day... courteously and did a great job of staying in contact till I got to the shop. No extra monies out of my pocket.
Than I used it [GS] for 3 tire blowouts. 1 on the front & 2 on the rears, [I have learned to look at age and not take a salesman's word] and again each time I got first class treatment even tho one was Christmas eve night outside of Ripply WV on the side of the interstate and shops were far and few between.
As for the other services...I have no opinion...but for Good Sam service for me I'm a satisfied customer..
I've read some opinions of the services...everyone has a good and/or bad experience to relate. Kind of like the Ford/Chevy arguments..
The contracts are for a year and competitive so if you get a bad deal try the next in line..
I hope this was beneficial for you.

George

HandyDan

I have CoachNet but so far I have not needed to use their services, in spite of my signature picture. It was right after that incident that I signed up with Coachnet.   From what I have read on other forums, it all depends on where you are and what kind of plan you have as to the quality of the service.  You can't get too upset if your plan says that towing is for a max of 50 miles and you are in west Texas 200 miles from anywhere.  On the other hand, my plan with Coachnet says they will tow me to the closest service that can address my breakdown.  They will provide tire service where ever I am.  I always carry a good spare just in case, but I'm not able to change a tire on the highway.  I hope all the money I am paying to them is wasted, as I hope I never have to call them, but, like insurance, it is there if you need it.  Coachnet has three different levels of service, I'm not sure of GS but I think they are similar. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Mytdawg

I've had AAA a long time.  I've had to use it a few times and they did what they say they do.  Never used it on the motorhome though.

Because I haven't been anywhere in it yet.   :laugh:

pvoth1111

We have Good Sam used it they day after we got.....30 mile tow for free....love it....hope I never need it again and I'm sure they do to.....the bill was outrageous....
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Froggy1936

I was a AAA member for 20 yrs Only used there trip planning and title services As i always knew somebody with a tow truck ( as a dealer service manager)  I switched to Good Sam (5 yrs now) only because they wont send a regular tow truck if you need a tow . Wich i did just last week After having me on the phone for 45 min they told me they cannot tow on a limited access highway (Pa Turnpike) But i was dissappointed that they would not bring me 3 gallons of transmission fluid (i was able to repair the fluid leak ) But had no extra fluid  had to call my son to bring it to me to avoid a Pa TP Commission tow .Cost unknown but it was 11 Mi to closest exit  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ibdilbert01

Make sure you read the features, both differ slightly and it really depends on what you need as to what is best.

For us, we can fix mostly anything ourselves and if its going to be a major repair, we would rather have it towed home than to a service station.   GoodSam is unlimited towing, but unless you have the platinum package, its only to the nearest service station.  The platinum package allows up to 100 miles anywhere towing. 

AAA RV Plus also varies by package, gold will allow towing up to 100 miles, platinum is 200 miles.   

I'm sure both are very good, I have used AAA twice to tow my 72.  Both times I had the RV towed home.   One tow was 76 miles one way, the other was 32.   Was no hassle, just called the number on the back of the card and waited.   

Also check the discounts, GoodSam has some gas perks, LifeTime members get 6 cents off a gallion of gas at Flying J and Pilot. 
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

4winds

We have GS and used it two months after getting the RV.  Had flat in campground fixed in no time-well three hours but we were in the boonies! Best waste of money we use, better prepaired than broke down with 2-300$ tow bill.

aaron7

Thanks guys. I'm trying to find a side-by-side comparison of the three (or at least GS & AAA) services. Just don't want to get one and wish I had researched more!

Oz

Good Sam's will also ask you if you have a boat or anything else in tow and send additional tow vehicles and all vehicles registered in your name are covered... you don't have to pre-register them or anything.  I had both services and had tows from both.  As for service, they both were excellent.  As for cost and coverage, I thin Good Sam's may be marginally better, primarily because they are geared with the RV community as their main market.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

aaron7

Well, $99.95 later and I'm a member with roadside assistance! Says 3-4 weeks for the membership card in the mail... hope it comes a bit quicker as we set sail next month!

George-47

I was never asked to see the card...just called in and gave them my number...
Just make sure you know the number to call and your account number and you'll be fine...
With luck you'll never call them..
I never leave home with out it..

George

EarlJr

Just to add another option here...

Our RV insurance seems to cover a lot of the same types of things as Good Sam and Coach Net.

Roadside Assistance: Provides towing to the nearest qualified repair facility and necessary labor at the place of disablement when the RV is disabled due to mechanical or electrical breakdown, dead battery, flat tire, lockout, insufficient supply of fuel, oil, water or other fluids, or entrapment in snow, mud, water or sand within 100 feet of the roadway. Coverage is extended to trailers and vehicles being towed by a motor home and vehicles towing travel trailers. We used this when our transmission went out and the insurance folks had someone out right away even though we were on a rural (dirt) road at 10 PM.

Emergency Expense Coverage: pays up to $2000 for reasonable temporary living facilities, transportation and the cost of returning the RV if it becomes disabled due to a covered loss more than 100 miles away from the primary residence.

Vacation Liability Coverage which pays up to $100000 for bodily injury and property damage for which an insured person is legally liable as a result of an accident that occurs while the RV is used as a temporary vacation quarters.

Including all the auto insurance requirements and uninsured/underinsured coverage we only pay $300/year.

Oz

Does this company have a name?   W%

And, that's insurance with roadside assistance.  The question is about roadside assistance plans so, $300 a year for the whole package, which may or may not be a good deal when compared to other insurance with roadside assistance plans, it doesn't really provide a comparison on the roadside assistance only, which is what we're trying to compare.

What is it without the insurance and can you get the roadside assistance without the insurance?

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

pvoth1111

Someone told me that the Good Sam insurance is really Allstate.....go figure
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

EarlJr

We're using Progressive (didn't want to push my brand on anyone). That is insurance AND the roadside assistance AND the vacation liability. The whole ball of wax. I doubt you could separate it. But if you take what you're paying for insurance and add what you're paying for GS or CN you'd get a close approximation of the costs.

Now, you're rate may vary. My wife and I are both covered drivers who have never had a ticket or an accident and have sterling credit ratings. I had a snowmobile claim about fifteen years ago, but never any other reason for an insurance rate bump. Plus we get a homeowner's discount. You can check for yourself at their website, quotes are free.

cosmic

This is from CAA

For additional coverage, a Premier option is also available that includes:
4 tows, up to 200 km, plus 1 tow up to 320 km including your trailer
Two-day complimentary rental car
60 minutes of free Bell long distance calling
Free 1 Year Hertz #1 Gold Club Membership
Dedicated toll-free Premier number
Worldwide Concierge Services
Accident & Ride Assist
Trip Interruption & Vehicle Return

in Canada this costs $169.00 a year it does not come with ANY insurance that I have ever seen.

OldEdBrady

I have all kinds of stuff on my truck (I have a trailer, of course).  The trailer is too old for anyone to do much of anything, but I FINALLY found roadside for the trailer only for about $75 a year from AAA.  So, both the truck and the trailer are covered.  After all, I wouldn't very well be looking for some high-falutin' thing for a 1976 trailer!  :-)