Locking the battery bay?

Started by HandyDan, February 12, 2013, 04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandyDan

Reading about thieves stealing batteries out of RVs got me to thinking.  My battery bay has a lock on it but any good thief who wanted in would have no trouble at all prying it open.  In the process they would no doubt ruin the door.  Would it be better to just leave it unlocked and save the door or lock it up and hope they don't do much damage.  Either way I'm going to lose the batteries.  However, I don't have but two batteries in there so there isn't too much to lose.  They would probably cut the wires which would be another expense.  Can you tell I have cabin fever?
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

LJ-TJ

Funny you mentioned that because I was thinking the same thing about the locking gas caps. Problem is if they want the gas that bad in some cases they have been just drilling the gas tanks. Your right it cost more to fix the battery door and replace the gas tank than letting them steal them. I just gave up if they want the batteries or the gas there going to get them any way just take it and don't wreck the rig in the mean time. i??

Froggy1936

I have incl the batt door to the alarm syestem (removing batts is another option ) leaving fuel tank empty (but adding isopropal dry gas ) to take care of moisture during storage They check for fuel by hitting fuel tank dont bother with empty tanks !  :( Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

cosmic

I need 2 new batteries. any of those un locked doors near me. LOL
Just kidding.
I'm looking at 2 new deep cycles and the best i found at the battery warehouse was 115 a piece in Canada for the big ones.
At that price im locking mine up.

LJ-TJ

Awwww I can see a trip to Port Huron coming up. :laugh:

cosmic

are the batteries cheaper state side TJ ??

LJ-TJ

Naw there about the same, just seem like a good excuse for a road trip. :laugh:

emoney

I, for one, keep mine locked.  Most things stolen from vehicles, and I'd imagine RVs to be included, are taken by opportunistic, small-time thieves.  Just recently, for example, our neighborhood was hit by a group of kids breaking into cars.  Out of 35 houses, 24 got hit.  The 11 that didn't all had their car doors locked (mine included).  Most of the simple ones are very jittery so if they try something locked, they move on knowing that there will be one that's not.

cosmic

sounds good ill be ready by april. you know where the cheap shopping is and the walmarts so lets call it a date. LOL.

Oz

You can increase the difficutly of getting into the battery compartment by adding a plywood panel on the inside of the access door.

In addition, you can drill a hole in the back of the battery slide tray big enough to put a length of chain or "U" lock through.  This is for the older, mid/early Winnebago models which have the area under the battery tray basically open.  The chiain or U lock will prevent the tray from being slid forward, making it much more difficult to remove the batteries.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca