RVs built on John Deere Chassis?

Started by Jkountz, May 05, 2009, 01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkountz

Does anyone know what other vehicles used the John Deere chassis besides Winnebago. I need to know when I go ask for parts what to tell the people. No one seems to have a clue about these chassis and its getting annoying trying to tell them every time that it IS in fact a motorhome on a John Deere chassis with a Ford 460 engine. Its like no one believes me!! >:( >:(
Loving my 87 Winne Chieftain AKA "Hard Hearted Hanna"

4winds

Well, I know nothing about John Deere chassis but,try to find out ANYTHING about a '78 Midas motorhome.  Good luck and keep us informed.  Ed

Arberg0

mmmm  i did some long looking on the net seems the pace arrow rv,s are a john deere as is the 1988 rv itaska also there was a model 1988 Georgieboy with a John Deere chassis and i found this little bit of info as well http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/2027.42/783/2/77323.0001.001.pdf   just thought i would post this little bit of info i will post more as i find more

arberg0 aka william  :)clap :)clap
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson

JDxeper

Did someone before mention a JD chassis?  Seems like last year some time.  I thought that JD took over the Dodge truck chassis plant or plants when they went bankrupt the first time in the late 70's or at least some of the plants.  May be just dreaming.
JD :-\
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

rsflight

During the time frame of late 80's, most RVs were built on a Johne Deere or a Chevy chassis.  John Deere sold to Oskkosh who then sold to Freightliner.  Most engine parts are Ford.  Special parts come from Freightliner, such as brake hoses.  There are also alot of aftermarket parts on the chassis, like some fuel pumps, guages, windshield spray nozzles etc.  There are parts available thru StepVan parts stores too.

If you could be more specific about what you are looking for, I can give more detail.
R Flight, Rochester, NY
20 yrs w/ our 1989 Georgie Boy Encounter on a John Deere XL chassis & still going strong.  Rubber Roof replacement complete. Look at RV-reroof for details.

Jim

Just purchased our first RV a month ago.  87 Allegro 33' w/ 460.  (Tina!)  VIN says made at John Deere Waterloo, Iowa.  How do I tell if its a John Deere or Ford chassis.  I see there is a JD manual covering this model :)ThmbUp  which I am pretty stoked about as I have only the generic aftermarket owners manual from Tiffin.

Oz

One thing you can do is bounce your VIN against this Ford VIN decoder.  The link is actually on a side bar block on the Ford  Chassis Message Board.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/VIN68.htm
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Jim

The John Deere Manual I ordered from the CWVRV store contains a VIN section verifying that my rig is indeed a John Deere Chassis.  I have searched high and low for this chassis manual, and now a FULL MEMBER for a year - STOKED!

Oz

Good for you!  Now you've got the basic, critical tools to work with.  (And, I'll assume by your enthusiasm that being "stoked" is a good thing.)

rsflight

The JD chassis was popular at the time and used by several RV manufactures.  Going to a parts store and asking for JD Chassis parts for it will get you nothing but blank stares.  It has many common parts with the FORD heavy duty E & F series trucks.  Best approach is to take the part to the store and match it.  They seem to be still available.  Freightliner took over the chassis line and can still supply parts.  They have been helpful.  The part year and RV year may be different by 1 or 2 years since the rare chassis often sat on the factory lot for a year before having the 'home' built on it.  Internet searches can find most any part too.  Our 1989 is still running strong!
R Flight, Rochester, NY
20 yrs w/ our 1989 Georgie Boy Encounter on a John Deere XL chassis & still going strong.  Rubber Roof replacement complete. Look at RV-reroof for details.

RockwoodMike

Hi everyone..first post here..My Motorhome is on a 1988 JD chassis with a Ford 460, C-6 trans..Rockwood is the coach builder and the specific model is the Driftwood..As for parts, the engine is all Ford..As for the brakes and chassis parts, Freightliner is the main source and was able to get brake pads, rubber hoses,etc..But that was in 2004 when I bought the coach, so parts might be getting harder to find..Mike
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Oz

Welcome aboard and, any info and experience you have to share, we welcome it!

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

RockwoodMike

Thanks Dave and Mark!!
I have been needing power brake and steering hoses..Looks like Mill supply has them..Mine are original to the coach when it was built..I think that I will buy 2 of each..one to replace the originals and 1 for a spare for the road..

That is one thing that really keeps me up at night..being broken down in no where town in any state, without the part to fix it!!..So I have so many spare parts on the rv..A spare starter,ignition- fan clutch..any thing that I can think of..

Thanks again..I need to go order some parts!!

Mike
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

SoakedKarma

Good links Dave   :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

Have copy of my '89 Vehicle Chassis Parts Catalog PC-2109 (RW23901) in Pdf form.. 6.9Mb in size has a few annotations written in it with updated part #s  and Vehicle Chassis Technical Manual TM-I362 (RW23899) 59Mb

jmerritt

I have a 1988 Fleetwood Limited on a 1987 John Deere/Ford chassis. Has anyone been able to find replacement rear rotors for this Dana axle? Freightliner doesn't carry them anymore. I did talk to another John Deere chassis owner who converted the axle but I don't want to go to that extreme. Last I looked the only place I could find the rotors was at Colaw Salvage who required that I needed to buy the whole axle assembly for $2000. That was about two years ago. My left rear rotor was scored and was machined as well as it could be. Not perfect but workable. I want to find available replacements before I really need new rotors.

thx
John

DaveVA78Chieftain

Do you have the Medium duty 13.5" rotor or the heavy duty 14.5" rotor?

Brake Parts listed on pdf page 17 (19 of 30) of http://millsupply.com/pdf/stepvan/freightliner.pdf  including a rotor.

I have found some 14.5" possibilities on pdf page 29 of this document: http://truckpartsetc.com/sales/PDFs/Arvin%20Meritor%20%28Euclid%29/Meritor_DaytonBrake.pdf

With any of this be sure to call and confirm correct part for your application.  Measuring them appears to be the best approach

The Mill Supply 10-715 rotor maps to 23-122700-002 on pdf page 29 of the Dayton catalog which has the dimensions.

Dave
[move][/move]

jmerritt

Dave,

Thx for the info. I will have to go to the storage facility where I keep the MH and check the parts manual and measure the rotor.

John

DaveVA78Chieftain

Parts manual?  Did I hear parts manual?  We would love to have a digital copy of the Oshkosh parts manual for hosting here.  Use it for x-ref when helping people find stuff.

Dave
[move][/move]

jmerritt

Dave,

It will be John Deere but OK I will see what I can do.

John

DaveVA78Chieftain

Fredric discovered that there was a digital copy on the John Deere website so I have it now.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/pdfs/PC2109.pdf

Thanks,
Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

HEY! Dun go pointing the finger at me! $@!#@!

Oh, wait, I did good??? ???
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

jmerritt

Mine rotors are 13.625 six lug type 2, hub and rotor are one piece. I have not been able to cross reference the old John Deere numbers, RW23005-LH and RW23010-RH to any parts catalog. And in looking at the Mill Supply and Meritor catalogs I haven't found them there either. In looking for these back in 2009 I think they were originally manufactured by Dayton Walther. I'll keep looking and let you know what I find. Thx for the help.

John

Stripe

Have you tried Freightliner? Check F-650 parts as well.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28