RV Insurance

Started by InZane, November 07, 2008, 05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InZane

Sent: 2/6/2001

I have and RV but I can't my company won't cover my 3 cars and my car company won't cover my RV!  Anyone have an insurance company that covers both and how much do you pay?

Thanks!

johnnie

Sent: 2/7/2001 8:22 PM

I have eight vehicles on my insurance policy but only insure two at a time, depending on what I'm driving and where I intend to go.  As most of my vehicles are older models, I retain liability insurance only.  I'm not sure if this makes much of a difference for covering motorhomes but I just insured my 1970 Winnebago and my rates did not change at all.  I have GMAC insurance and you may want to check with them.

Johnnie

Leon

Sent: 2/10/2001 10:39 PM

My circumstances are much the same as johnnie.  Have my 72 Brave covered for liability only and have joined Good Sam and gone with GMAC.  They gave me the unlimited towing also and I got what I thought was a heck of a deal.  May change my other vehicles over to it.  They were a couple hundred under my other ins.  must admit that I didn't shop around much but think I got a good deal (haven't had the misfortune to use it yet!)
Leon

CoachTurner

Sent: 2/18/2001 3:01 PM

We got our Winnie insurance through Camping World and then added our car to the policy.  The Winnie and the car now total less than the car alone with my previous insurance.

Check out Camping World RV Insurance.

Rick Shaw

Sent: 4/30/2003 5:34 PM

The best deal I have come across for insurance is  GMAC.   They have a website http://www.rvinsurance.com - Camping World RV and Car Insurance - Specializing in Low Cost RV and Auto Insurance .
Hope this helps you.
Rick

jipjob

Sent: 5/31/2004 11:33 PM

I was wondering what most people pay here for insurance?  This is kind of a buggy problem as we all know our rigs probably say putt for most of the year and all I can see is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ going out the window while my fun machine just sits.  I'm sort of contemplating getting parade insurance as my

My rig is over 30 years old and that makes it a antique. Got a card from some guys who insure this way but I haven't contacted him yet. Any comments?

Lefty

Sent: 5/31/2004 11:47 PM

I pay $154.00/yr for Liability Insurance as a seperate part of my regular insurance. I recieve the following discounts:

Safe driver, multi-car, and vehicle & homeowner.

I have the following restrictions, annual mileage not to
exceed 3,500miles, no usage to & from work, no drivers under 25yrs old.

Since I don't travel over 3500 miles a year, don't plan on making a work car out of her, and we don't have anyone here under 25 yrs old that would need to drive her, this works well for us. I use State Farm for my vehicles and homeowners, I should note I get another break for having continuous coverage for 5 yrs or more. Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

enigma960080

Sent: 6/1/2004 8:08 AM

I'm  paying a liitle more than that.  $204 per year...But I'm in California  where EVERYTHING is  higher!
That  includes  the same  discounts  listed  by Lefty sans the 3500 mile  restriction.
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

70winnie

Sent: 6/1/2004 9:28 AM

I'm paying Nationwide $200/year for liability only, limited tort (in PA limited tort means if you get into an accident you're only allowed to sue for certain reasons, mostly serious injuries).  My premium is prolly higher than it would be if wifey and I didn't each have an auto accident in the past few years.  Home & car, multi-car discounts (which I don't think add up to much).  No restrictions.

shagebago3142

Sent: 6/1/2004 10:56 AM

We pay like $70 every six months for liability with Allstate. I think it is ridiculous to pay insurance in the times that it just sits, but try to cancel and then renew your policy, It nearly doubles! I guess there is some sort of discount for keeping a continuous policy going?
Sherri

doc

Sent: 6/1/2004 11:07 PM

$96.00 per year with Progressive. This is with NO discounts. This is the only vehicle insured by them.

p.s.  we try to camp all year, but, the winters do get rough (cold).

Sea Hag

Sent: 6/2/2004 9:13 AM

We Pay about 160 per year in two installments as our regular auto policy renews every six months - Liability only on the winne - no restrictions - That's   nothing compared to what we payed to add my son  who is now   18 years old with a clean record and good student discount ,muti car - and no accidents . . We use country company - The problem with parade or antique vehicle insurance and plates is that you can only use it for parades and shows with very limited millage . I have a freind who has a 62 mercury that checked into it and said it wasn't worth the trouble and he likes to drive it when he pleases . - Sea Hag

denisondc

Sent: 6/3/2004 8:04 AM

Im going to check my GEICO policy; I called and asked about the Winnebago premium, and the girl said it was $290 a year. I hope thats wrong, or I might need to change firms. I have liability only, no restrictions that I know of. Clean driving record, no claims, the usual discounts. My other cars are about $175 annually. It would not surprise me to learn that my insurance company had tacked on extra coverage that I dont want, (but-didnt-specifically-decline).
The insurance co. for my antique cars will only write for vehicles having the antique tags for my state (VA). To be used "for parades, organized tours, exhibits, and special occasions only....".
In 1974 friends were looking for insurance to cover their 1928 Chevy truck motorhome. They had just brought it here from New Zealand, and most insurers they called would not even give them a quote. But when they contacted a Lloyds of London rep in Philadelphia, he wrote them a policy for liability and hospitalization for about $50 for a year. They happily drove it for a year across the U.S. and Canada -at 28mph!!!!-, then shipped it home to Auckland from Long Beach.

Oz

Sent: 6/4/2004 12:03 AM

For liability and comprehensive on my RV, I pay $125 a year through Progressive in PA.  I also have Progressive for my cars, boats, and motorcycles.   I've shopped around with as many of the other companies as possible and only a couple came close, but none lower. 

There are no restrictions on mileage or use.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Alaska1932

Sent: 6/4/2004 11:25 AM

I am currently seeking insurance for my Winnie and I am a full-timer. Could you tell me who I shoukld go with? I have requested a quote from Good Sam. I want the type with the house coverage. Is that what you have? I just need some advice in this area. Thanks

weirdabago

Sent: 6/4/2004 5:17 AM

$32 bucks a month full coverage with towing, no mileage restrictions, and a swell little poloroid picture the agent took when they looked her over.  we have three rigs thru state farm, have full coverage on all, have used the towing for the cars more than a couple of times.  pretty slick just sign the bill, show your proof of insurance...beats diggin in the wallet during times of stress/confusion and maybe havin to cut short your travel plans!!  been with state farm  for over fifteen years and have had two claims (both pretty spendy) but they haven't squeaked once about raisin' the rates...watch, now I've jinxed myself for sure!!!   Hopefully we can all  "keep the white side up" and don't have to make the call.                safe travels all...   Kerry.

Rick Shaw

Sent: 6/4/2004 11:03 AM

Kerry,
I have pretty much the same coverage you have and I made two claims on the 79 winnie for over $5,000.00 and then it burned up and they paid me what I paid for it to begin with.   I also have two claims on the present motorhome that paid me more than I originally paid for it.   I had the 79 winnie towed a total of 4 times with the last tow job towing me 70 miles home.  Progressive has not once even hinted about raising my rates after all this.....better yet....my insurance went down $3.00 a month.
Rick

Slantsixness

Sent: 2/23/2006 9:03 AM

This is a concern of many people interested in driving and owning an old motorhome.

Certain States have specific restrictions on policy limitations, even for "Liability Only" insurance.

Something to consider:
A Motohome, covered under a "liability only" policy is insured just like any other car. If you are not required to have commercial tags, or an air brake certification, and the vehicle is less than 20,000lbs gross, most insurance companies will consider it "just another Car".

With that said, covering your Winnie for "minimum allowable amounts" is not a good thing. If your State permits you to drive on a 25K/50K/25K liability policy (fairly normal minimum coverage, some States are even less!). What happens when you hit a brand new Hummer H2 ($75,000)? The insurance company is only obligated to replace $25,000 worth of the Hummer... and the rest? Well, you would get sued for it, even though your insurance company would represent you and look after your best interests. Now add over $50,000.00 worth of medical damages, and gues what? You get sued again! It's NOT hard to total a vehicle, and there aren't very many new vehicles out there that cost less than $25,000 new, so do the math, you could lose everything for such a minimal difference in price versus coverage.
So what's the difference in price, between 25/50/25 and 100/200/100? Around $50.00 a year, with a reasonably good driving record and no or minimal claims.

In my State, Virginia, we cannot cover any motor vehicle for "part" of a year, unless we unregister the vehicle and re-register it every season. The registrations are not "tempporary" either, so it's a hassle, and we have eto cover the Winnie 365 days a year, the consequences of not having insurance coverage in VA are immediate Suspension of your operators license, even for just dropping coverage on one out of 5 vehicles!

With all that said, I have 6 vehicles, all insured by St. Paul Travelers (Through AAA) and the cost of the Winnie with $ 100/500/100 Liability only coverage is $285.00 per year. Yeah, I suppose you all want me to hit you now, but if I got hit and the Winnie was a total loss, the Value is listed as a "20 foot Winnebago Class A" with a replacement cost (new) of $72,000, and a "same year and model" replacement cost of $8,000 (based on the  appraisal). It would cost another $200 a year for full coverage, and it IS available.

Last but not least, remember your Roadside motorist Assistance policy. Don't bet on coverage from your insurance company to include towing for your vehicles, THEY WON'T TOW A MOTORHOME. AAA will give you RV coverage, which is what I swear by. Sometimes I've sworn at them, while I waited 2 hours in freezing weather, but they do show up! My coverage is AAA-RV PLUS, which will tow the Winnie ANYWHERE in the Continental US (up to 125mi a day, with 5 tows maximum in a year for any one vehicle). All for $130 a year! How could you go wrong there? Just hooking a Winnie up will cost you $100, let alone how far you've got to tow!

I hope maybe this shed a little light on this for you all,

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

DanD2Soon

Sent: 7/11/2007 2:32 PM

Most RV Insurers include towing & roadside assistance in their policies - our insurance on a 1972 24 footer is full coverage (Liability, Collision- $250 deduct., & Comprhensive- $100 deduct.) no limits on miles or days of use, includes things like towing, roadside assist, contents, and trip interruption and costs us $411 annually through this outfit:  Aon Recreation Insurance - RV Insurance   The policy itself is actually written by Progressive but that agent is the one we secured it through.

firehart2

Sent: 7/11/2007 4:13 PM

What about AAA? Do they cover towing on RVs? I talked to my Allstate agent and he said if I just do liabilty, it would be the same as my old Toyota pickup.

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 7/15/2007 8:23 AM

We use Progressive for both the van and the Itasca.  Our policy is a bit higher than those posted here, but we have Progressive Fulltimers Insurance.

What that means is that we have full coverage on the rig (replacement cost estimated by Progressive at 6000.00), collision, liability, etc.  The policy also acts as homeowners insurance.  With standard collision, the policy wouldn't cover our non-camping related items, such as all our Renaissance Faire gear and costuming and tools and whatnot.  With thier fulltimers insurance, EVERYTHING is covered, even from theft, fire, and acts of god.  And this also covers our tow vehicle, the van, and all its contents (the van itself has liability only, but when being towed is under the RV's policy).

It costs us 68 bucks a month.  Not too shabby considering!  The van, with just liability, costs 85 a month.

The only catch is that you have to have a tow vehicle to qualify for thier fulltimers insurance, and that vehicle also has to have a policy from Progressive.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tatkin

Sent: 7/15/2007 8:35 PM

Even a Cave Man can do it.   

Progressive Insurance! Cave Man though ...

keith

Sent: 7/16/2007 9:58 AM

Thank you for all of the greaaaaaaaaaaat info about insurance.  Liberty Mutual changed their tune when I started talking about moving my cars and motorcycle.  I have full coverage with them now with low deductibles for under $300 annually.  Life is good!    Thanks to all that submitted replies.  The information was invaluable!

Keith

tiinytina

Sent: 7/22/2007 4:56 PM

hi ho,
    For insurance I have Erie insurance..... they questioned the "classic" RV when I asked but said they only had to photograph her exterior and yes a whole $30 a year on my existing policy with a $500 deductible.... on everything.... I've been insured by Erie for 14 years and been happy with them.  I have 3 vehicles plus Gone, and my house and flood insurance with them.
   When confronted by sales people with a table at my bank etc... when they find out I have Erie say.... um... can't beat whatever rate you have.... just put your card in the fishbowl for the daily drawing.... (I won a nice car safety kit last time!)
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

eddie

I have USAA insurance for my cars..they don't offer RV, but sub through Progressive. It's dirt cheap, like $136 a year for liability only...just a thought if you're military or have fam that is. John
www.apexautospa.com

Check it-Boom