Turbo or supercharged 440?

Started by thisoldhippy, November 06, 2012, 10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisoldhippy

Any one ever hear about someone using a turbo or belt drive supercharger on one of these 440 chassis?

Wantawinnie

There was a aftermarket turbo kit made by Turbo RV used back when these were new. I've never seen one in person. The carb sits on top of a manifold and is a draw through design.

thisoldhippy

That is cool! I was just thinking it might be an option for better mileage!

LJ-TJ

i?? So have you got one or do you know were one is?  Hm?

LJ-TJ

thisoldhippy

I was just thinking that it might be an option for getting a little better mileage! Makes more power at the same throttle. Have been told that the 440 was low compression would help it think it was a higher comp.

LJ-TJ

But how common are they? Are they easy to find? Is there any information out there on them. Hm?

thisoldhippy

Actually there are a lot of universal kits available!
:)

LJ-TJ

I was over at the Dodge guy's site and they had a picture of what I believe to be the stock intake manifold piece that bolts to the intake manifold and the carb bolts to. I think was made by Turbo RV. Was that a stock piece made for motorhomes. Did Winnebago use them in the 70's on there motorhomes. Are there any out there that you know of? Hm?

ovlo

check out the turboforums.com they have a good page that is all about turbocharged domestic engines.  there are a lot of mopar guys on there.

as far as fuel millage goes its not going to be better with a turbo.  the amount of fuel you burn is directly related to how much power the motor makes and how hard it has to work.   not saying fuel millage is going to drop down to 2mpg but i wouldnt take on a project like this hoping for better millage

MotorPro

If you want a turbo for more power there are many kits availible, If you want it to improve milage save your money to buy gas with it.

frank-id2

Adding a turbo will not change miles per gallon economy.   But creating more power and changing rear axle ratio will change the economy.  Adding an overdrive unit will also make better milage.   Any changes are spendy.  I think a set of exhaust manifolds can be created to support a turbo.  Even a Ford Powerstroke turbo will work.   A turbo cab be a great project.  Frank

thisoldhippy

Ok I am a little confused! But if it makes more power with less throttle to pull the thing down the road.Won't it get better mileage?

MotorPro

You might be at the same throttle opening but the turbo will pull more air and more fuel through the opening.