440 to diesel conversion: Pros & Cons?

Started by Firemansred, July 11, 2012, 10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveVA78Chieftain

Your welcome.  I do not have a clue about diesel stuff but knew there was a lot of good information in all those pics.   Even the 440 pics are useful for pointing out things.

Good Luck,

Dave
[move][/move]

Wantawinnie

I don't want to get to far ahead of myself but this is on my to do list. Starting to take measurements, make a few calls, and do a lot of studying. The plan is using the 1989 Dodge Cummins, 5 speed manual(been driving Cummins diesels for 15 years and never had, wanted, or trusted an automatic LOL), NP205 transfer case with a Gear Vendor overdrive mounted to it. It gives a real nice gearing setup with the 4.56's in the Dana 70HD and being able to split gears with the gears vendor is really nice in a big heavy rig like this. The transfer case is only being used because I have it and it makes the Gear Vendor install a snap. The added benefit is a 2:1 gear reduction which would be nice for creeping in and out of some campgrounds. I have got to get an intercooler in there, switch exhaust manifolds, maybe a turbo upgrade, and pipe it all together.  Lots of stuff to consider. I guess I better get the interior done first. D:oH!

Wantawinnie

No dice on the stick shift Chieftain. A main floor support above the chassis is right where the shifter needs to come up. I won't be cutting through that so its back to a wife friendly automatic and the Gear Vendor overdrive behind the Cummins if this ever plays out.

Wantawinnie

Noticed today that the Travco converted to diesel in the link above is now up for sale.

Following up on the engine mounts, I also made contact with Michigandon. He did a Cummins conversion in a Travco as well. It can been seen on youtube and he confirmed that the 89-93 Dodge Ram engine mounts will bolt up to the factory 413-440 frame mounts on the Dodge chassis. The only change involves flipping the rubber isolators and the bolts line up. IMO this makes the swap much easier for Dodge powered rigs.

LJ-TJ

Well after all these years of pushing a Winnie around 318-440 the best after all the talking/converting etc: etc: etc: the best anyone has done is 15 to 20 and I really think that was at midnight, down hil,l with a tail wind. The realistic figures I've heard is 8 to 10 at best but I think the real numbers are a little more around 5 to 10 averaging 8 under normal constant highway driving. If your look for the big numbers in mileage you might want to check out the link I just posted. That's just my take on it. Ok boys let the fur fly. :laugh:

http://www.vixenrv.com/vixen_history.php

thisoldhippy

Ok. I have been watching this forum for a while now. I am working on swapping an Isuzu 6bd1t in my winny! I bought the engine for 1000.00$ Tranny is going to cost me just because of the power and the way that a diesel makes power! Totally different from gas!
   There is where this swap shines! Not just from the increase in economy but also the fact that you have so much more pulling power! Remember diesel is a work horse of the internal combustion engines! They don't put them in trucks for no reason! Part of my reason is that I am tired of pulling hills at 25mph!

Have a friend that has a 30' winny with a cummins in it. Took it to Mopar's on the strip in Vegas from up in Idaho gvw was 28000 with 7 people and the car trailer! Averaged 14mpg high of 18mpg low of 12!!
   Friend on 4bt forum is helping with the tranny adapter says with 6bd1t should get 12-15mpg and pull the hills at 45mph!

This is what I have learned so far! Hope it helps!