Mike's 1973 D22 Complete tear out. From the Roof down!

Started by RockwoodMike, September 25, 2019, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edmather and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

RockwoodMike

First picture didn't load...here it is
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

https://youtu.be/dR_xLsUcu7Y?t=300
Yea that is some quality redneck engine running..I can relate to it all..

I don't think I will make a stand like his..Just mount it back into the frame and break it in..

Now for that fire of the sparkplug wire..Mine had the same thing happen as the pics show

Pic 1 shows the space between the header pipe and the spark plug..About 3/8 of an inch..Enough to fit the plug boot but touch the header also..

Pic 2..Here is the result..That would create a direct short and miss at that cylinder..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Shows how the mounting bolt was cutting the rocker on the side of it..Also I can't believe the slop that the rocker has on the shaft..I guess the slop is taken up when it is all bolted together..Just seems you would get some rattle from that ..

Pic 2..Top of this valve is a bit messed up..

Pic 3..All the exhaust valves are double spring while none of the intake valves are..just single spring..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Intake all unbolted..

Pic 2..removed and a look of the bottom of it..What a mess..

I think that this is the first time this engine has been torn down this far..

Pic 3..Apiece of plastic found in the valley..How and what??

RockwoodMike

From what I am seeing so far, this is a low compression smog engine..With the piston at TDC, the top is down about 1/4 inch..

And the way the heads are showing, it shows a low compression arraignment..

Here are the pics..

nothing broken..No snapped off bolts..No bad threads,,Looking good so far..

Engine is ready to come out now

Mlw

Wow, you don't let grass grow over it do you 😂😂😂

Yes these are low compression engines. you can change that if you want. The sky is almost the limit... As the money you can poor in it 😉

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Mlw on December 05, 2023, 04:18 PMWow, you don't let grass grow over it do you 😂😂😂
With all the antifreeze and trans fluid that I have spilled, that concrete will never grow grass ever again!! :grin:

I found a great website for the 440...

https://ultimatemusclecar.com/mopar-stock-440-horsepower-torque-hp-standard-all-yrs/

In 1972, the 440 lost over 100 horse power and 110 pounds of torque..

That is sad!!

RockwoodMike

Compression ratio chart..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Engine hoist ready..Trans jack all set..

Pic 2..Remove the cover plate to take the 4 flywheel-converter bolts out..

Take one out, get out from under an go rotate the engine 90 degrees..get back under and do the next bolt..
When you work with no help, that is how it is..

Pic 3..Cover plate with all the bolts together

Pic 4..Transmission hoist all set..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..All the bolts out and engine-trans split apart..

Pic 2..Roll it out!! :)clap

Pic 3..Trans with torque converter..Looks lonely back in there!!

Pic 4..I dropped it into a wheel barrel for now..Need to get some bolts to mount it on the engine stand..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Torque convertor

Pic 2..Trans wasn't ready to come out because of the rear cross member in the way..8 bolts and it was out

Pic 3..Cross member out and filthy!!

Pic 4..Trans out!! :)clap

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Front view of trans..

Pic 2..Down the starboard frame rail

Pic 3..Down the Port frame rail..

Pic 4..Lot of work to get it all done now!! :P

Eyez Open

It looks like you have a very good powertrain to work with...personally I wouldn't loose any sleep over compression ratios..in a heavy duty cycle motors high ratios are deadly.Getting more performance out of your existing combination would be easy there is a lot of smoke&mirrors around old 70's engine specs, the EPA needed cover kinda..they needed to make things "look"good

Below a good read on a stockish 440, pay some attention to rmryder..he understands just what he is talking about.

Disagree here EGT is a problem on all low compression BBM even with std cam
YOu have to give them lots of throttle to get them to even move and lots of throttle makes heat and gas mileage sucks- worse with Magnum cam and converter

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43392

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Eyez Open on December 06, 2023, 01:17 PMI wouldn't loose any sleep over compression ratios..in a heavy duty cycle motors high ratios are deadly.Getting more performance out of your existing combination would be easy

I think you are totally correct here..
Headers..high end ignition..engine rebuilt...and I was looking at this cam..Pure mid range numbers..Slightly higher numbers over stock..Little more lift and duration..Not to crazy with a RPM range of 1500-4000..
I expect to be cruising at 60 MPH at 3000 RPM..This cam should do it..

https://crower.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=+32240

As for that forum..Wow!! did I ever get lost..numbers and terminology were flying over my head..
I got dizzy after the 2 page!! Had to give up!!

Mlw

QuotePic 2..Remove the cover plate to take the 4 flywheel-converter bolts out..

Take one out, get out from under an go rotate the engine 90 degrees..get back under and do the next bolt..
When you work with no help, that is how it is..

Yep, Been there... Done that...

But what did they do with that RV, go offroading???

Another nice thing, Now the engine and the transmission is out you have plenty of room to do some rust prevention.

Eyez Open

Are you going with new pistons or is that still TBD?

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Eyez Open on December 07, 2023, 01:49 PMAre you going with new pistons or is that still TBD?

It has been determined!! New everything..This engine is totally original..All bearings are stock factory size..Piston bore is original.. :P

This is the first time it has been torn down!! And the way it spun over showed it was just worn out..Usually you feel friction from the piston rings,,Not so here..

Pic 1..Inside the oil pan..Some sort of plastic pieces as shown in the lifter valley was also in the pan..No idea..

Pic 2..I have never done a 440 Mopar before..It has a windage tray for the oil to be not wipped up by the spinning crank..

Pic 3..Took a rod cap off..Nice!! :azn:

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..I didn't have a harmonic balancer puller..Went to HF and got this..
These tools are starting to make the snap-on trucks nervous..

Pic 2..What is inside..This is also an installer for the balancer too!

Pic 3..I used the big bolt to thrust on..I was afraid the puller might damage the threads on the crank..

Pic 4..This puller didn't even grunt..Worked Great!! :D

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Take all the bolts off..

Pic 2..Inside the chain cover

Pic 3..Chain was sloppy loose..But it is original!!

Pic 4..View without the chain..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Original Chrysler issue timing chain!!

Pic 2..Full setup..

Pic 3..This rod is what rides on the cam to activate the fuel pump..You cannot remove the cam without this rod being removed first..

Pic 4..The rod removed..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Took a main cap off..Looks good :)clap

Pic 2..Cam out..For the miles it has, it looks darn good!!

Pic 3..First piston..That connecting rod is HEAVY DUTY!!

Pic 4..Standard bore..Original factory pistons ;)

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..I center punched the rods to identify what hole they came out of..

Pic 2..Oil pickup tube is screwed into the block..And trying to unscrew it and it just snapped off..Need to get some sort of extractor to get what remains of it out..

Pic 3..The tube itself..metal fatigue..

Pic 4..All pistons out.. they pretty much just dropped out..Didn't take much effort to tap them out

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..You need a 12 point..3/8 socket to get out the 2 bolts holding the rear main seal piece out..

Pic 2..That seal was just worn out and was leaking pretty bad

Pic 3..Crank ready to be lifted out.

Pic 4..All the main caps.

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Born on date..2/28/73..

Pic 2..Oil pump off..I like that the oil pump is on the outside of the block instead of inside where you need to remove the pan to get to it..

Pic 3..Oil sending unit was loose...and was leaking..
Everything was leaking ...seals, valve covers,

We can fix it!!

Will be loading it up this weekend to get it to the machine shop tomorrow..

here is where I am going to be taking it..This will be the 5th engine for me with them..

https://rpm-machine.com/

Mlw

the sides of the rods should actually have the numbers on them. Top and bottom, so you put them together the right way and don't mix up the shells.

Markings main bearing keepers..jpg

As far as I can see the condition of all the materials seem the same as with me except the block  ;) .

The Fatigue in the oil pick up tube is very interesting. Could very well be the reason of the problem in my engine. The oil pump and the pick up tube were new and i actually found parts of the old oil pump still in the sludge in the oil pan