Mike's 1973 D22 Complete tear out. From the Roof down!

Started by RockwoodMike, September 25, 2019, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mlw

Quote,they put my issues in perspective,

I'm 100% with you on that. This was not the first RV I saw and there were examples where I had to do exactly the same due to delamination. Just knocking the sides was enough to walk away from them.

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Eyez Open on July 09, 2023, 09:50 AMexplains taking a sawsall to a tire for dismount..effective.

There was 2 reasons to do the sawzall cutting. First it is easier to get the side wall of the tire off the rim without the tread fighting it to stay on.

Second is what to do with a full uncut tire..The county municipal dump would accept such a tire at 5 dollars apiece..35 total..but the dump is 30 miles away..My pickup gets about 8 miles to the gallon..So I would use about 8 gallons of fuel..5 dollars a gallon..40 dollars plus the dump fee for a total of 75 dollars.

When you cut it up, it can be thrown in the regular trashcan that you roll out to the street..Only 1 per week would fit in the can along with my regular trash..

So in about 6-7 weeks everything of the old tires were gone and I have 75 more dollars in my pocket..!!

That is what a divorce does to your brain..It makes you think at a different level..Not a higher level, just different! 
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Eyez Open

Understand that put a smile on my face. It would be very quick and effective.I was raised in a farming community,my father ran a service garage. Once a yr those farmers would come in droves getting there grain trucks ready for harvest. We also serviced Catipillars service trucks..guess who got the grunt work..I can think of a few times that just cutting them off trick would have been nice. Lol I should make a video when I take off my 40 yr old cast headers..cutting touch ablaze!

As to divorce..there are always remnants...left over garbage. Curtain choices for me are quite a process..Just a thought :rolleyes:

RockwoodMike

Since the side that is opened up on this is the same as the gas tanks, now is the time to yank them out to make them pretty again..

When I bought this disaster, it had a real fuel delivery problem..it just barely ran..I found out why..

There is no servicing these tanks if there is a problem unless you pull the tanks out..Even with the side off of the motorhome this was real pain getting them out..Can't imagine with the side on..

You have to remove the secondary(smaller) tank first..drops out and then the primary slides forward off it's perches to get it out..

I was thinking of making a trap door in the coach above the tanks..If a sending unit quits or the pickup tube is clogged, you can get to it that way..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

After power washing them..The big main tank has 2 pickup tubes..engine and generator..

The tube for the engine was totally clogged..No wonder the engine barely ran..

I ran a rod down the tube and it was looking like wet charcoal..I tried to blow it out first but it was solid plugged..The rod busted it clear..

The engine pickup tube is about 1/4 off the bottom of the tank..The generator tube is 2 inches or so and it was totally clear..

I wish there was a way to install some sort of pickup tube filter in the tank..keep it from getting clogged

Mlw

QuoteThere is no servicing these tanks if there is a problem unless you pull the tanks out..Even with the side off of the motorhome this was real pain getting them out..Can't imagine with the side on..

when you are watching this guy you'll learn that that was standard with cars of that era. As he picks up cars that are standing for decades all tanks of course are varnished.

Warning in advance: when you are watching this, don't drink heavy beverages (or as he calls them "wobble pops") there is a chance it leaves your body thru your nostrals  ;)  ;)  ;)

Since cars are build by accountants instead of mechanical engineers, trapdoors are a necessity, not an addition. For example, if you'd run those tanks empty you just fill them up again and carry one if you have the old fashioned mechanical pump. With an electrical fuel pumps you better immediately buy a new pump when you run your tank empty because I guarentee you'll be standing next to the road with a failing fuelpump within a month, and as you said yourself
QuoteYep, nothing but China junk for me..
Build those trapdoors  ;)  ;)  ;)

Oh, and by the way,

QuoteI guess that it is not possible to go back to the old posts and add in the original photo..or is it and I am not seeing how it is done??

You can now. I've started re-entering the pictures by the posts as you can see here but it's a lot of work. When you posted the pictures in the threads it should just be a case of adding the pictures again by pressing edit and add the picture again. The info from the link will stay intact then.

QuoteI wish there was a way to install some sort of pickup tube filter in the tank..keep it from getting clogged

You mean this?

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Mlw on July 11, 2023, 01:04 PMYou can now. I've started re-entering the pictures by the posts as you can see here but it's a lot of work. When you posted the pictures in the threads it should just be a case of adding the pictures again by pressing edit and add the picture again. The info from the link will stay intact then.

AAAH!! Very good!! Only about 9 pages of posts to re enter..

RockwoodMike

You mean this?

Thank You for the link!!Problem is the hole that you would have to reach into is about 1.5 inches wide..That is the hole closest to the pickup tube and it is the hole for the sending unit..

The other hole is a vent for the tank that has a cap and rubber hose on it..

The trap door will make it easy to fix..Even if you were on the road, that door would have you up and running again easy.

RockwoodMike

My other project( I have lots of projects) is a 94 Ryder decommissioned moving van..On a E350 RV chassis with a 460-7.5 liter engine..EFI for the fuel system and it has a pump, sending unit contraption that has a 8 inch diameter access hole..as shown..But even with that, you need drop the tank to get to this pump sending unit..

I will be installing a trap door for it too..

I was thinking if I was to cut a opening on the top of the the tank of the motorhome..Maybe 5-6 in diameter..Create a bolt on top..that I would be able to install that screen filter that you were kind to link to..

Right now the tank is setting in direct sunlight to evaporate the remaining rotted fuel..

Mlw

QuoteThank You for the link!!Problem is the hole that you would have to reach into is about 1.5 inches wide..That is the hole closest to the pickup tube and it is the hole for the sending unit..

Did I see correctly that you own a plasma cutter or have access to it? Make a trapdoor in the tanks as well. You've already shown that you know how to handle metal works. I'm agreeying with you that the holes are to small to fit your hands in, but if you want those socks and want to service them when needed.... 

Next to this you can clean out the tanks when needed and With those Ethanol fuels nowadays...

I guess I have to think about this too now i'm remodeling. I don't really want to go at it like this when i'm finished

How to access your fueltank in your RV when you are down.

QuoteAAAH!! Very good!! Only about 9 pages of posts to re enter..

Just finished posting the pictures again... At least for my own posts. Now I still have to fix all the links in the posts...

RockwoodMike

The original floor plan shows the kitchen sinks directly above the fuel tanks..That is perfect to build a trap door under the sinks..

I don't think modifying the tank would be necessary..if you have easy access to the top of the tank..

A sending unit would be easy and the pickup tube would be cleared with a steel rod shoved down into it..

This clog was an accumulation of years ..finally plugged..With a trap door, it would be easy.

RockwoodMike

https://youtu.be/dBDr6_D0w1I?t=1112

I haven't watched the whole video, but WOW..creating your own access hole on the side of the freeway with a dead motorhome and your whole family with you!!

Mlw

That is true, but as said, don't forget the ethanol that is in fuel nowadays and it is a fact that ethanol makes petrol varnishing faster and can become an issue with RV's as they are not driven daily, certainly when you use the lower octane ones.

As for the video, these kind of actions is kind of his brand, but yes, not what you want happening when you are going on a 5000 miles roadtrip as the video shows later. If you have spare time watch it because they are really a hoot and better than televison.

RockwoodMike

The second tank has a drain at the bottom..It's the main tank that does not have anything to completely drain the tank..Running the electric pump, you would be able to run it out..But with the 1/4 inch gap between the pickup tube and the bottom of the tank, there would be residual fuel..rotting away..

There is on the market, fuel stabilizers that you can add to the fuel..wonder how well they work?

RockwoodMike

Just for curiosity. Crawled under the rear diff area to check it out..Dana 70 with a 10 bolt cover..

4.56 gearing..You wouldn't have to worry about any mountain pass with that ratio..

Bad news..When you torque the pinion yolk back and forth, it has a pretty good clunk..I will take the cover off and see what the oil looks like...

Eyez Open

This axle rear end combo I will be watching with great interest. 4.56 gearing is incredibly low for a 440.

GM really dumbed down the 454 to meet EPA emissions I suspect that crazy gearing was used simply to enhance a strangled engine.

RockwoodMike

Cracking the diff cover with the fluid spilling out, the color of the fluid looked fresh..I think it was a bit low but it looked recent..

I think that I have some sort of Posi or limited slip on this. Not your typical spider gear configuration..

4.56 ratio for sure..

This D22 is a disaster when it comes to the box..But mechanically it seems to be holding it's own..

I wondering what one of the brakes on the rear looks like??

Don't you just love the smell of gear oil..I think someone needs to make an after shave using that scent..!!

Call it..Macho Man Mechanic..The smell that will drive the women wacho!!

RockwoodMike

Let's take a look at one of the rear brakes..Hint..Disaster!!

The half shaft was no problem and I have the correct socket for the nuts..Someone used a chisel to loosen and tighten them previously..The inner nut was way loose. No preload at all

RockwoodMike

The adjusting sprocket wheel was loose at the bottom of the drum..Spring parts just rattling around..But the drum pulled right off..Rear shoe cut into the drum and is completely bare..Just rivets to cut the drum..

Like I said..What a disaster!!

It can be fixed..Nothing here that can't be replaced or remade..

Mlw

I've been ahead of you. You have the same setup as me.

As for the inner nut: You know that at least the inner nut needs to be free from the bearing? If not you'll burn the bearing up with all consequenses. Be carefull with the brakedrum, they don't make them anymore and were specially made for the RV's.

I understand that you could remove the brakedrum easily when the adjusting sprocket wheel was loose at the bottom of the drum. then all tention is of the brakes.

Brake Job Dodge MB400 chassis

RockwoodMike

"I've been ahead of you. You have the same setup as me"

Afraid not..mine is a 73 and differences are the spring setup..Yours has 2 springs to use on the return of the wheel cylinder. Mine has 1 spring that spans the width just below the wheel cylinder.

Emergency brake on mine has a long arm from the top to the bottom where the cable hooks up..Your doesn't have that..

As for parts..RockAuto is your friend...

Wheel seal
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=255285&cc=573&pt=1860&jsn=1197

Outer wheel bearing and race
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=220177&cc=573&pt=1672&jsn=1183

Brake shoes
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1619118&cc=573&pt=1688&jsn=1142

Wheel Cylinder
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=314074&cc=573&pt=1952&jsn=1152

Wheel Cylinder
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=314075&cc=573&pt=1952&jsn=1153

Hardware set
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=308893&cc=573&pt=1752&jsn=1160

Brake drums
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2032336&cc=573&pt=1744&jsn=1164

Inner Hub bearing
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=219057&cc=573&pt=1672

Inner Hub Bearing Race
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=219049&cc=573&pt=1672

Eyez Open

MLW do you nor mean the inner nut needs to be tourqed down on the bearing then backed off a smidge?  As long as ive done this type of service that outer bearing needs to pressed in tight. And only then backs off the nut.

Eyez Open

As much as I to like rockauto one always need to check Amazon..same pricing free shipping! But shock absorbers not so much.

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Eyez Open on July 12, 2023, 10:33 PMAs much as I to like rockauto one always need to check Amazon

But with RockAuto you can research to find your part numbers..Example..What is the wheel seal part number??

Amazon is not going to give you that..RA does..I guess once you have the part number, you can compare to Amazon..

Just compared the drums. Amazon doesn't carry them..

Eyez Open

Those the drums? If it centric they carry it. I don't really like Amazon but I've had some rather large and heavy orders. They add up.

https://www.amazon.com/Centric-Parts-123-67004-Brake-Drum/dp/B000BZZUCW