What to replace my 8R17.5 tires with??

Started by RockwoodMike, April 24, 2023, 02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockwoodMike

I have been looking around for tires..With this restore effort, all the tires that I have will need to be replaced..

When you search for 8R17.5 it usually results in 215-75 R 17.5..

Ebay has these tires at a 16 ply rating..I know that it will be equivalent to concrete but that is about all there is available..

169 delivered free..

One Ebay seller told me that they are 1 inch in diameter shorter..
I don't think that rubbing between the dual tires will be a problem..

Any one recently dealt with any of this??
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Eyez Open

Tires sizing is quite simple below is a link that will help you.  Now rim width is quite important do you have 6" 6.5" 7 " rims? That's a big deal.

https://tiresize.com/converter/

RockwoodMike

I am going to find out the rim width as I take off one of the tires today..Thank You for the link..Looks like a good source for important info..

Went into the local tire shop..350 dollars per tire estimate..YEAAA-No
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

This one rim (first I have done so far) is 5 inches wide..It had a 8.5R17.5 tire on it..

8.5 times 25.4 (MM to an Inch) is 215.9..

I don't think there will be any problem fitting a 215/75R 17.5 tire on this rim..

RockwoodMike

The tires that I have are 101 in circumference..

So doing a little math..1 mile is 5280 feet times 12 inches to the foot = 63360 inches divide 101 inches=  627 revs per mile..

The metric replacement says 668 revs per miles...About 6.5 percent difference ..if your speedo is saying 60 miles per hour,

you will only be going...56.1..close enough

Mlw

You're going thru the troubles that I've got as well and many before us, that the .5 tires become extinct.

As I'm told it would be wiser to go to 17 inch rims with tires that match your current set up.

There is a good topic about this somewhere here on the forum where they explain you better go 17 because of better handling, but I don't know the title of it anymore, and as you are not exactly the first asking this it's almost inpossible to find with the righ keywords.

But the main reason to go 17 or 18", These tires are around everywhere, your .5 tires aren't so if you have a flat in the middle of nowhere you going to have a big problem and probably will need a BIG wallet to solve it as you find out yourself already.

RockwoodMike

From what I am finding out, the 215-75R 17.5 is a very common tire..It is used in the heavy trailer equipment industries..

You see a truck pulling a backhoe or something real heavy on a trailer, it has these tires on it.

I would have a spare also..Ebay has several sellers with these tires..

Mlw

I have changed the sizes of the rims in my former post as you have 17.5's already  :-[  :-[  :-[

For me this isn't an option as i'm living in Europe. When I search for those tires I still see prices of $ 350,= or more.

RockwoodMike

Mlw

Wow, I see that they sell 8.75x16.5 too. Shipping to the Netherlands $80.00

This is getting interesting, because I'll save a lot of money on the fact that you'll blow 2 tires at once and get stranded.

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Mlw on April 27, 2023, 03:23 PMThis is getting interesting, because I'll save a lot of money on the fact that you'll blow 2 tires at once and get stranded.

Not sure what you are saying here..They are made in China..isn't everything?

A 16 ply tire rated at nearly 4000 lbs would be a hard thing to blow..

Mlw

As far as I know Thailand, so not China Junk and seem to have a pretty good name.

What I mend was the fact that a lot of people are worried that in the event of two tires going out you get the problem that .5 tires are not available thru your local dealer.

I have two spare rims, so 8 16.5 rims with tires of 8.00 X 16.5

Here in Europe .5 tires are not available at all anymore for cars till light trucks. Only heavy duty trucks.

All my tires need to be replaced. They are all dry rotted, so the advise here was to get 16 inch rims, so 8 rims with 16 inch tires came to $4000.00

If I buy 8 Deestones 8.00 X 16.5 they will cost me €1500 + shipping and importing fees. saving me $2500,=

RockwoodMike

The 215/75R 17.5 tire is available on multiple sites when you Google a search..Even Amazon has the tire available..Individual tire shops carry them in stock..

This tire is equivalent to getting a Big Mac hamburger at McDonald's..

With a weight rating of 3800 pounds and with the Dodge chassis rated at 12000 lbs. it will be hard to overload these tires..6x 3800 pounds for each tire is 22800 lbs for the tires capacity..

I will always carry a spare tire and rim..

I was thinking of ordering just 1 of these tires..before I buy the whole lot of 7..They look pretty good in the pictures..Just to see it first hand..

Mlw

actually a good idea. Let us know the outcome.

RockwoodMike

I received the one tire yesterday..Made in China..full steel belted..made in the 18th week of 2022..

about 3800 weight rated ..

Mlw

Made in China, if this really is true than I would sent it back right away! Tires are Way to important for safety reasons to trust on Chinajunk.

But where is this information coming from because if you go to Deestone.com the standard language really is Thai:

RockwoodMike

Here is some pictures..Made in china..

Mlw

OK then,

Then the question stays if quality control is applied.

https://mechanicbase.com/tires/tire-brands-to-avoid-purchasing/

and then a quality review
https://tirespace.net/deestone-tires/

seems to be ok, it's just that all alarm bells starts ringing with me as soon as "Made in China" appears and for good reasons.

RockwoodMike

https://dtl-chinese-tyres.com/product/copartner-truck-tyres/

The tire I bought is a CP962 series..In this series they have a 205 75 R17.5..10 ply tire
That is a closer fit to the original tires that were 10 ply also..

But nobody imports them!!

The motorhome chassis is rated at 12000 lbs.With the 215 75 17.5 16 ply tires, the tires would only have half of their rated weight on them..That is a big margin of safety..

I can't find much in reviews good or bad on Copartner tires..But they are being sold everywhere on line..If these tires were no good, then that would be showing up online

Mlw

I will contact the company when it becomes time to buy the tires. For now i have other fish to fry.

You are right that there ane almost no real dealers to be found who sells these tires, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are bad.

I also rather bought a well known brand, but prices are absolutely rediculous!!!
I can't find it anymore but yesterday i found Continentals 16.5X8.00 á €675 that's $750 for 1 Tire!!!! No thank you.

All I want to do is warn. I speak out of personal experience that 100% Chinese products will let you down within a year, whatever it is. As long as there are no safety issues you can try of course, but till this day i have to find the first Chinese product that stood the test of time.