1973 Winnebago Brave Engine Control Module

Started by Frank M, April 27, 2023, 08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank M

I have a 1973 Winnebago Brave on a 1972 Dodge chassis (318). It has breaker point ignition. My question is: Does this have an engine control module? If yes where is it located? If it has one I can not find it. Thanks

Mlw

are you sure? I dug deep into this and as far as I know even for a 1972 the system should look like this:

Ignition system.jpg

So no ECU but ignition controle unit which look like this:
SIE18-5105.jpg

And a Balast resistor which look like this:
s-l300.jpg

So that's what you would be looking for.

When it really is a breaker point system as far as I know the breaker point system is the ECU so then it would be correct that you cant find any "control units"

RockwoodMike

I need to concur with MIw..are you sure??

Mine is a 73 D22 with the 440..The ECM is placed right at the point where the engine bolts to the trans on it's mounting plate..Has the big ceramic resister and the distributor has the induction coil in it..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Mlw

Yes with the 440 the modules are placed on a plate on the engine. with the 360 and 318 they are not as the distributor is placed in the back. The 440 has the distributor on the front.

Frank M

It looks like you have an electronic ignition. I am wondering if a breaker point ignition even has an ECM. If it does it must be hiding on me.

Mlw

when you watch the video, It tells you how it works, NO ECM. The breaker points are the ECM. with the electronic ignition the ICM controles the pulses.

http://dave78chieftain.com/Dodge_Electron02.html

But what I tried to tell you it that I find it strange that you have a breakerpoint system on your engine, but it can be that the PO has changed it because the Ballast resistor is known to be faulty.

Frank M

I think 1972 was the start of the switch over for Dodge from points to electronic. The points distributor is the original set up. I wish it had electronic though.

RockwoodMike

Look into the MSD ignition system..I believe you can use it with your points..

Then with it, all of the power going to the coil is through the MSD control box..Then the points are only being used as a control switch..The points no longer have high voltage going through them causing the pitted contacts to occur..Then the points only have a few millivolts going through them..and they last a lot longer.. 

I plan to add the MSD to my restore..It can use the induction coil as shown in my picture but it eliminates the big resister and ECM ..creates a bigger spark
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Mlw

Quote from: Frank M on April 27, 2023, 01:49 PMI think 1972 was the start of the switch over for Dodge from points to electronic. The points distributor is the original set up. I wish it had electronic though.

That can be, of course. I never was a fan of breaker points, altough truth said problems were easier to fix due to the simpicity of the system.

Frank M

Thanks for the replies and info. It confirmed what I thought. It has no ecm.