Installing A PerTronix 1381A Ignitor on &3 Brave Dodge 318

Started by Frank M, April 05, 2023, 11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank M

I am going to be installing a PerTronix 1381A Ignitor conversion kit to eliminate the points and condenser on my 73 Brave. Has anyone done this? Any words of wisdom? How did you wire it? Did you keep the ballast resister?

DaveVA78Chieftain

I would just follow the instructions (retain ballast resistor) as shown in this video (leads from distributor connected to + and - terminals on coil per the instructions).  The ballast resistor simply reduces the voltage to the coil when engine is running (circuit J10B (16RE)). The ignition switch does provide +12 VDC directly to the coil when starting (circuit J9A (14PK))

[move][/move]

Eyez Open

I am by no means taking anything away from Dave78. Below is a link to such a procedure. Take DaveRays post quite literally, he is the most experienced ignition expert I have ever read. Bit of a opinion oriented individual true but then again engineers can be quite frank.

https://www.chevelles.com/threads/converting-points-to-electronic-ignition.1046985/page-2

DaveVA78Chieftain

Eyez Open
Not really sure what you trying to point out with that reference.  OP is looking for feedback regarding the installation of a PerTronix 1181A kit to replace the points in his stock distributor.  As DaveRay points out in his post, and I agree with, this kit is not an GM style HEI upgrade and only is intended to replace the points with electronic ignition.  If the OP wants to upgrade his ignition to a GM HEI type system, then my recommendation is to replace the complete distributor (that also includes the HEI coil) with one that is based on the GM HEI design (yes, those are out there).  He could also upgrade his system to the Dodge Electronic Ignition system that replaced the points system.

My initial response was providing a simple answer to his question rather than confusing him with options that in fact were related to a GM installation rather than a Chrysler installation. 
[move][/move]

Frank M

Thanks for your response. I did read this NOTE: REMOVE OR BYPASS EXTERNAL BALLAST RESISTOR OR RESISTANCE WIRE WHEN INSTALLING THE RECOMENDED FLAME-THROWER COIL. I have purchased a Flame Thrower coil so I am going to eliminate the ballast resistor with a 16 gauge jumper wire. I hope this all works. I will provide a follow up. Thank again.

Eyez Open

Dave78VACheiftan

Mr Ray addresses the coil,along with plug wires& gap. There are a lot of issues with coils and compatibility these days. My intent was to merely add to the conversation not distract. If I have offended you plz accept my apology, I can assure you I am not a proficient blogger by any means.

DaveVA78Chieftain

No offense taken, just meant some of this stuff can be confusing and recommending something can only cause more confusion if it is not oriented to the topic at hand (standard vs HEI ignition, Dodge vs GM, etc).  By that I mean DaveRay is primarily oriented towards HEI ignition which the OPs platform is not.  While the OP did purchase a Flame Thrower coil, I hope he purchased the 1.5 ohm one without epoxy.
[move][/move]

Frank M

I have installed the PerTronix 1381A Ignitor along with a FlameThrower coil. Engine started right up. Once warm I adjusted the timing. Runs great. I have started it the last 4 nights and it fires right up and runs smooth.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]