1976 Brave D-21 Brake Bleeding

Started by RoamingRobert, March 18, 2023, 07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoamingRobert

What is the order I should follow in bleeding the brakes on the 1976 Winnebago Brave D-21? 

Thanks!!!  I read that this is the M350 chassis .... just starting to work on the breaks .... got it running really well finally .....  brakes are next ... looks the previous owner had new brakes installed about 5 years ago before he passed away.... they seems to have a little too much travel to make be comfortable so I'm having a friend come over and I plan to drain the brakes and then flush it out with new fluid and then finally refill it and bleed the lines for air.

Elandan2

Always start with the right rear, (furthest from the master cylinder). Then work your way closer to the MC, i.e. left rear, right front and lastly left front.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

Before you start bleeding the brake lines, you need to bleed the boosters first.
If you don't, you could bleed the lines all day and have very little or no improvement.

Quote from another thread on this topic:
QuoteThere are bleeders for both boosters.  These should be bled first.  They are on the boosters themselves. on the long, thin part which extends toward the front of the RV.  This removes the air between them and the master cylinder.  If there is air in there, anything done with the rest of the system will yield minimal to no improvement.

When I bled the brakes prior to shipping the Chariot to Brads, the pedal went to the floor.  When I bled the master cylinder to booster lines, immediately the brake pedal pressure returned to normal, which is definitely firm.

Look in the manual.  It shows the booster and lines along the frame pretty well.

If you continually loose pressure with no obvious signs of leakage at the wheels, master cylinder or boosters, look along the inner frame, driver side, where the boosters are located.  There are junction fittings there which split the lines out to the wheels,  You can see them easily.

I suggest you get the manual from the club store.  It's cheap yet priceless.

https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=209
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Elandan2

Oh my mistake, I thought that a '76 only came with Hydroboost brakes.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

You could be right, Rick. I don't know if that's so or not.
I just remembered that there was a very important step that shouldn't be overlooked.

If there's no booster bleeder, then the process is the same.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca