Will 72 D18 16" wheels fit on 73 D18 chassis with 17.5 wheels

Started by Bonebag, October 15, 2021, 03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonebag

Looking at a donor/parts M300. I currently have nice tires/wheels that are 16" single piece on a 72 M300. Will these fit on a 73 M300 chassis that came with 17.5" wheels? thanks much
72 Brave..resto mod - Disk Conversion - Diesel Heater - Air Bags modified to fit - 318 Holley Sniper

Mlw

Well, if you have the wheels allready, just try and fit.

your only worry is if the inner ring between the lugnuts is big enough (or not to big) so your tyre sits straight. It only should fit snugly and not move around. if you want to be absolutely sure use a caliper to measure the inner ring. If they are the same you're good. Normally smaller rims means smaller tyres so I don't see any problems there in fitting unless the wheels are wider.

BUT

Keep in mind: the smaller the tyres, the more revs from the engine you need to turn them around. The more rubber you need to fix that, the spongier the drive gets. As America is a country of (very) long distances every rev more then necessary really can get to your nerves.

David.lgtwks

I interchanged my wheels form my 78 M400 that are 17.5, with my Dodge D300  that are 16.
David.lgtwks

AOBrodie

oneyejosh

Just because they are smaller wheels does not mean the tires are smaller.

Oz

That depends. If they had tires on them for a different vehicle they may be.  Going to smaller wheels often means having to go to taller tires if you want to keep the original dynamics.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Bonebag

I just got the axle yesterday...I'll try and get a fit answer this weekend. Just finished putting installing the diesel heater so I'll be doing a write up on that as well!
72 Brave..resto mod - Disk Conversion - Diesel Heater - Air Bags modified to fit - 318 Holley Sniper

73WinnieB

They will interchange. I ditched my 16's for the 17.5's. My thinking is more wheel and less tire gets me less sidewall flex and better handling. 17.5 radials are a bit harder to find so I bought two spares.

Bonebag

Yeah they fit! I would keep them if it wasn't 400 per tire for decent rubber ;) and the weight/cost of two spares! Not much room to spare! Thanks

LJ-TJ

I went from 17.5s to 16's. Really didn't notis any difference other than the speedometer was out a bit. Made a world of difference in cost of tires and if you brake down you can find a replacement tire anyplace.

Bonebag

I just want to let everyone who's wondering know: the 8 lug 16's fit on the 73 Axle that used to hold the 8 lug 17.5's..no problem.

yellowrecve

You may find a problem with the front wheels. My 74 Dodge disc brakes took some grinding for clearance.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.