Installing Rear Track Bar - M300?

Started by duramax, March 10, 2017, 09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duramax

Ha anyone ever installed a rear track bar on an M300? Roadmaster, Blue ox and Henderson's make them for a lot of MH's but none for the poor old Dodge. I had one on my last Chev P32 and it made a huge difference. No more tail wagging. When we had our Vogue on an M600 was not needed as it had a long wheelbase. But the M300 I am thinking about buying is only 22 ft. long and has a short WB.

stanDman111

if you find one , please post it , I could use one as well

budder

budder

stanDman111

budder

I reckon you could make something like that pretty easy. Hm?

budder

turbinebronze

Before buying a track bar/anti sway bar you might want to look into rear air bags. I installed a set on the back of my '69 Travco (M375 Dodge) and was very surprised at how much it helped. I ran separate air lines to the bags to help counter sway, and the little extra lift removed a lot of the harsh ride.
Just my 2 cents, Craig

budder

Air bags are a good idea but they won't stop the axle/body moving from side to side the track/panhard bar helps centre the axle. The air bags are to help the suspension also if they are joined up helps with the body roll. The track bar should be a cheap project if you do the work yourself.£100. W% :)ThmbUp

stanDman111

where did  you source the rear air bags if I might ask?

duramax

The photo in post#3 is correct. I was thinking of a ready made item. Whoever built that one did a super job!

turbinebronze

Hi stanDman,
  I used a Firestone Ride-rite air spring kit #2109. It bolted in to my M375 Dodge. (I had to drill 2 holes for each side).  The problem was when I measured the ride height of the bags. They are designed to run at 5.5 inches. My Travco sits at 4.5 inches. I contacted Firestone and was advised against running them 1 inch short. I contacted Michigan Truck Spring (where I bought the kit) and they swapped the bags that came with the kit (bag #6781) to bag #6762.  The 6762 bag has a ride height of 4.5 inches.
  Mi Truck Spring swapped the bags for the cost of shipping. They are good people to work with.

Just my 2 cents, Craig.

stanDman111

Phbalancedph

Reviving an old thread!
  Has anyone made a trac bar for their M300? I want to do front and rear. I would love to see what others have done.

Nate

I've made one for my m400 with the dana 70 axle, I designed it in CAD and after a few revisions had it laser cut. I could have another one made if that interests you. Let me see if I can upload a picture.

Nate

I had it cut with extra holes for plug welding but decided instead to just tack it in place on the cover for ease of assembly. All fasteners for the plate have been exchanged for studs.

I'm making a revision of the frame side pivot point to try and bring the bar more parallel with the axle but so far it has not been a problem. I'm just being picky.

Also, if it was cost effective I would have made a plate that sandwiches between the cover and the pumpkin for the whole mating surface, but in all honesty that's over kill and just more unsprung weight.

AOBrodie

That's great  :)clap What were the results handling-wise?

Nate

Quote from: AOBrodie on December 18, 2021, 11:03 AM
That's great  :)clap What were the results handling-wise?

So far I'm pleased, in combination with my front steering stabilizer kit I designed there's much less sway and it doesn't wallow around and follow ruts as much, I'll know a lot more come March when I do a few interstate runs.

I'll probably be fabricating a trac bar setup for the front as well this summer (working on a plasma table build that I'll use for that), beyond airbags I think that's about all I could do with the stock suspension design.

I'll report back when I know more, If anyone is interested I can have a few more of this trac bar bracket or my front stabilizer brackets cut. The steering stabilizer kit is particularly cost effective as its just two custom brackets and a off the shelf damper.

Nate

I really don't have any good pictures of the steering stabilizer but here's what I have and a quick render of the assembly. It tucks up real nice between the axle and drag link, attaching on the left to the ubolts on the spring and on the right to the drag link.

Phbalancedph

Nate. Do you happen to have the DXF file for the bracket you made?

Phbalancedph

Quote from: Nate on December 12, 2021, 12:54 PMI've made one for my m400 with the dana 70 axle, I designed it in CAD and after a few revisions had it laser cut. I could have another one made if that interests you. Let me see if I can upload a picture.
Quote from: Nate on December 12, 2021, 12:54 PMI've made one for my m400 with the dana 70 axle, I designed it in CAD and after a few revisions had it laser cut. I could have another one made if that interests you. Let me see if I can upload a picture.

Nate can you make me a bracket for the dana 70 ?!?

Nate

Sorry for the late reply, I only swing by the forums every once in a while.

I absolutely can, do you mind sending me a pm with your email and we can talk about details?

Phbalancedph

Thanks Nate!
  I sent you a PM with my info. I look forward to hearing from you