Oil Pan Gasket Replacement 440 Trick

Started by LJ-TJ, July 28, 2022, 04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

D:oH! So I'm sure most if not all you guys no this trick. But! I thought I'd float it out there. Just in case there are a few neophytes out there like me. I had a heck of a time getting the bolts out of the oil pan and getting the oil pan out of my 440 because I have a splash pan  on my 440. I'm trying to get around tie rod ends an axles. This meant I was going to have a heck of a time putting it back on with two new gaskets. oil pan gasket,splash pan,gasket, block. Trying to get all this lined up and getting it over the axle and tie rod ends  $@!#@!. So what I did was find bolts that matched the bolts that hold the oil pan to the block in place, cut the heads off the bolts, cut a screwdriver grove in what was left of the bolt and screwed them into the block were the oil pan bolts went. I made dowels. The pan, gaskets,splash tray, gasket,the block lined up perrrrrrfectly. Nothing fell a part and once I had a few pan bolts in place I just unscrewed the dowel pins. Put the proper bolts in the holes and Bobs your uncle. I new you guys new that. BUT! Just thought I'd Float it out there. :)ThmbUp   

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

TerryH

TJ - that is a great example of out of the box thinking! :)clap :)clap :)clap
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

eXodus

Nice! Thanks

I saw that trick used for intakes - using studs instead of bolts.